Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > DVD-Audio & SACD Software

DVD-Audio & SACD Software Discuss DVD-Audio & Super Audio CD titles here.

View Poll Results: Does Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon sound bad in stereo on SACD?
No - it sounds better than the CD 11 44.00%
YES - I always go back to the boxed set to listen to Dark Side on stereo CD 9 36.00%
I am normally to stoned to tell.... 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2007   #7

Default Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

Dark Side is one of the better 5.1 mixes out there , i think , dts or sacd. What i like about it is , emi ( abbey Rd) had the tapes .. hahaha .. not like on some of the artist. DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE THE ORIGNIAL TAPE OF SHE LOVES YOU OR THE ORIGNAL TAPES OF SGT PEPPER OR LET IT BE / GET BACK . 'CAUSE EMI AND ABBEY RD SURE DONT ! AND THAT IS A KNOWN FACT . THEY EITHER TAPED OVER THEM OR LOST THEM, ALONG WITH BOXES OF OTHER TAPES THEY HAD IN THEIR CONTROL !
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #8

Default Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Dark Side is one of the better 5.1 mixes out there , i think , dts or sacd. What i like about it is , emi ( abbey Rd) had the tapes .. hahaha .. not like on some of the artist. DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE THE ORIGNIAL TAPE OF SHE LOVES YOU OR THE ORIGNAL TAPES OF SGT PEPPER OR LET IT BE / GET BACK . 'CAUSE EMI AND ABBEY RD SURE DONT ! AND THAT IS A KNOWN FACT . THEY EITHER TAPED OVER THEM OR LOST THEM, ALONG WITH BOXES OF OTHER TAPES THEY HAD IN THEIR CONTROL !
Not sure where you got this information from... but it's simply not true.

I am one of the many "surround marketers" who have sat in meetings at Abbey Road, literally begging for an opportunity to re-mix Sgt. Pepper into 5.1 surround... and they certainly DO have the original masters.

The problem is that many masters in those days, were archived as "stems"... ie. "groups" of tracks already mixed together... which makes it VERY hard to create a sensible 5.1 mix, without a lot of digital manipulation. And to EMI's credit, they have consistently refused to allow this masterpiece to be altered in such a way.

A lot of people are unaware that back "in the old days", music sessions were recorded onto 4-track analog tapes... with "groups" of instruments mixed live onto each of the four available tracks, and then mixed into a MONO master (because stereo was not yet the standard, at least not in England.)

Geoff Emerick himself, has publically admitted that "We never actually listened to Sgt. Pepper in any stereo form. And when it came to the mixing, we spent three weeks on the mono. Then, the stereo had to be done as a separate mix. So George (Martin) and I just sat there for basically three days and mixed the stereo."

In today's world of digital multi-tracking, this all sounds very bizarre. But the simple truth is that MANY of the greatest studio sessions of all time, were archived without all of the instruments and vocals on separate audio tracks.

A direct analogy would be today's "live to 2-track" recording sessions. You cannot faithfully separate the violin from the guitar, once these live sessions are completed. So the only "master" that exists, is the one that was created on the spot.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #9

I would have to say the new remastered version are better then the original.
Old 10-18-2007   #10

i only have the verion in the black box set. Which "version" is that? is it remastered or is there a re-re-re-mastered one?
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
i only have the verion in the black box set. Which "version" is that? is it remastered or is there a re-re-re-mastered one?
FYI... the re-re-re-mastered version is a Hybrid SACD.

Per the folks at SACD:

The Super Audio CD (SACD) features two disc layers. One layer contains a standard version of the album that works on any CD player. The other layer includes high-resolution stereo and a 5.1 surround version of the recording that works on SACD-compatible DVD players and home theater systems. Both layers employ SACD's Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoding process that samples the music 64 times faster than CD for unprecedented fidelity.

That said... this new 5.1 Surround mix was created by James Guthrie, and is VERY entertaining to anyone who loves this album.

The Stereo mix sounds a bit too "bright and harsh" on SOME people's systems... which MIGHT be related to the D-to-A conversion circuitry that varies from one player to another.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #12

Smile Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

i have a boxed set of Dark side in Stereo that does sound good , but i would vote on a dts or sacd 5.1 version any day of the week. That Box set has the original postcards and poster with the cd laser-etched , i played that once on my newest system and made sure NO ONE touched that again. I have that baby locked up high on the case .. That sounds good as far as stereo goes , but even back then i was more into mutli-track / quad etc sound,in my sound room . I think i am one of those people that was born to hear music all around me and i m not ashamed to say it , Was Not ashamed to admit i loved QUAD ( or most of the good versions / systems of it ) And i m still not ashamed to say i love good music played correctly all around me ! I even had 4 channel headphones and i m not ashamed to admit to them.. I want on my grave marker if i can afford one (cause i have been buying into everything that is new as far as sound systems go, so long i cant remember ) "ALL HE WANTED WAS FOR IT TO SOUND GOOD . ... LUKE". I even have my list of most disappointing lp/cd song releases . And some of those would just blow some people away. Sound , etc etc ... But then again I think " Sherry " by the Four Seasons a good mix of it, is one of the greatest early 60s pop recordings!!! LUKE
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, blogspot, cd, dark, dts, floyd, mix, moon, music, pink, record, sacd, side, stoned, surround, version