Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD-Audio & SACD Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software-52/)
-   -   Michael Jackson Thriller - the worst sounding SACD ever? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software/417-michael-jackson-thriller-worst-sounding-sacd-ever.html)

JerryDelColliano 08-04-2007 02:16 PM

Michael Jackson Thriller - the worst sounding SACD ever?

http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/thrillersacd.shtml

It dosen't matte that you won't let your kids stay over at the Neverland Ranch anymore - Thriller might be the best pop album of all time. The Quincy Jones production plus Jackson at his peak performance and NO BAD TRACKS - makes for a compelling record.

Somebody at Sony like SACD chief David Kowakami NEEDED to speak up and say this stereo mix wasn't close to good enough. It sounds terrible compared to other records of the era and worse than most other SACDs. Sony Pictures had the same trouble with The Fifth Element on Blu-ray but gave people a revised verion. Thriller is more important than The Fifth Element without question.

How could a record company not mix Thriller in surround? I know the record was mixed in surround by a VERY famous mixing engineer but that mix was never released to consumer. Those who have heard it - say it is OFF THE CHARTS GOOD. Why not make like Microsoft or EA and sell the title over again to the same consumers? I would buy it again if they released it on say Blu-ray in surround? Maybe toss in some of the videos in HD or something. That's something I would spend $20 on NO PROBLEM!!!!!

kennyt 08-05-2007 04:06 AM

Re: Michael Jackson Thriller - the worst sounding SACD ever?

Tell me all you want, I know it sold more than almost any album in history (I believe the Eagles still hold this 'record') but I never liked his music and couldn't imagine playing this through my system....

I suspect I would need to re-burn in all my components after this just to purge them of this poppy crap!

deacongreg 08-29-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 1680)
Michael Jackson - Thriller - SACD review on AudioRevolution.com

It dosen't matte that you won't let your kids stay over at the Neverland Ranch anymore - Thriller might be the best pop album of all time. The Quincy Jones production plus Jackson at his peak performance and NO BAD TRACKS - makes for a compelling record.

Somebody at Sony like SACD chief David Kowakami NEEDED to speak up and say this stereo mix wasn't close to good enough. It sounds terrible compared to other records of the era and worse than most other SACDs. Sony Pictures had the same trouble with The Fifth Element on Blu-ray but gave people a revised verion. Thriller is more important than The Fifth Element without question.

How could a record company not mix Thriller in surround? I know the record was mixed in surround by a VERY famous mixing engineer but that mix was never released to consumer. Those who have heard it - say it is OFF THE CHARTS GOOD. Why not make like Microsoft or EA and sell the title over again to the same consumers? I would buy it again if they released it on say Blu-ray in surround? Maybe toss in some of the videos in HD or something. That's something I would spend $20 on NO PROBLEM!!!!!

I can tell, that you are very passionate about this. Like i am about the HD?BLu - Ray format war. I would like this all to happen myself. AIX anyone?
And, considering that Quincy was involved with this project, and the overall success of Thriller, you would figure, this would be a no brainer.

But you know what, I`m not familiar with what the legalities would be, but someone should contact Quincy, he has his own record label, Quest, maybe he could release it on his label. Quincy would probably be up to do something like this. He is a quality guy, and I`m sure Michael would be up to it as well. Maybe, the trick, is to call the artist or his producer.

Waynefi 04-08-2008 08:30 PM

I think the SACD sounds just fine, and is well thought of around the music site forums. I guess it is a matter of opinion. Surround is partially what killed SACD/DVD-A anyhow. The average music buying public was confused enough about SACD vs. DVD-A, let alone trying to decide what they could play or not play the discs on, all the 5.1 hype did not help.

wes 04-09-2008 08:52 AM

Pink Floyd the best SACD multichannel demo disc

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon on SACD, ($15 on Amazon)

Sony spent over a million dollar to have this remixed for SACD, woa!

I wished all SACDs sounded that good.

A few other good ones in the rock category are
- Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms ($35!)
- Roxy Music: Avalon ($15)
- Rolling Stones: Sympathy for the Devil

Classical:
- Hector Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique Op. 14 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam Sir Colin Davis (conductor)
- Orff: Carmina Burana - Atlanta SO/Runnicles
- Dvorak: Symphony Nos. 8, 9 - Budapest Festival

rlpiii 04-09-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 1693)
Tell me all you want, I know it sold more than almost any album in history (I believe the Eagles still hold this 'record') but I never liked his music and couldn't imagine playing this through my system....

I suspect I would need to re-burn in all my components after this just to purge them of this poppy crap!

+1. I can tolerate hearing it, but would never buy it - not even in the 80's.