Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > DVD-Audio & SACD Software

DVD-Audio & SACD Software Discuss DVD-Audio & Super Audio CD titles here.

Old 08-14-2007   #7

Default Re: Best 5.1 music mix ever?

The first 8 track tape I ever purchased was DSOTM. I already owned the vinyl but needed something to play on my Lear Jet deck installed in a '65 GTO the same day as acquiring the aforementioned tape. I've worn out 2 vinyls, numerous cassettes and now possess 3 CD versions. Of the 3, I prefer the Mobile Fidelity Master Recording 2ch version. Although the SACD surround mix has some interesting effects, I've become so accustom to the 2ch mix that it just doesn't feel right in 5.1.

In 1974 I was auditioning speakers and was shown a quad set up with 4 Advent bookshelf speakers. The Music was DSOTM. That's been a few years ago, but the impression it left has stayed with me for all of them. I don't think I've ever heard Pink Floyd sound that good even up till now. I bought a pair of those same Advents a couple of years later.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
In 1974 I was auditioning speakers and was shown a quad set up with 4 Advent bookshelf speakers. The Music was DSOTM. That's been a few years ago, but the impression it left has stayed with me for all of them. I don't think I've ever heard Pink Floyd sound that good even up till now. I bought a pair of those same Advents a couple of years later.
Do you remember who designed those Advent loudspeakers?

Yup, it was Henry Kloss... the original "K" in KLH, who started the Advent company to sell enough speakers to fund his most passionate invention... that's right, a 6 1/2 ft. screen front-projector... the first ever consumer "bigscreen" TV, marking the "advent" of the home theater industry.

I was an Advent salesman in those days... and the only furniture in my living room, was this HUGE TV plus a giant beanbag chair.

Now THOSE were the days.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #9

Thumbs up Re: Best 5.1 music mix ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Do you remember who designed those Advent loudspeakers?

Yup, it was Henry Kloss... the original "K" in KLH, who started the Advent company to sell enough speakers to fund his most passionate invention... that's right, a 6 1/2 ft. screen front-projector... the first ever consumer "bigscreen" TV, marking the "advent" of the home theater industry.

I was an Advent salesman in those days... and the only furniture in my living room, was this HUGE TV plus a giant beanbag chair.

Now THOSE were the days.

DD
Yes, those speakers were excellent. I sold them near the end of their run. Also at Sam Goody, we had two of the Advent receivers. Which many people used as just a preamp, it was so good. Also, early Infinity speakers when Arnie Nudell was still running things. And SAE equipment. But those Advents were very good.
In fact, the Advent receiver led me to my first great amp and preamp. The Tomlinson Holman Apt 1 and Apt preamp.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #10

Wink Re: Best 5.1 music mix ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Carla Lother 'Captain Courageous' Chesky DVD-A

Lyle Lovette 'She's Already Made Up Her Mind' from Judges, Joshua, Ruth DTS CD

I have listened to very few remixes of music originally produced in 2 channel that sounds better in surround.
Then you ought to listen to some more as some do indeed blossom in a way not previously possible.

Still have my 1977 Advents in one system here and also a lot of CSW (Cambridge Soundworks) scattered through the household!

Last edited by timbre4; 08-15-2007 at 01:28 PM..
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #11

Guys,

Don't feel bad for holding onto older speakers....

I still have a pair of JSE infinite Slope Model 1.0 and 1.8's that I keep around as I just love them so.

Yes, new can and often is better, but some old stuff is right up there!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #12

The demo disc that came with my Acura TL - It has some Doobie Brothers, Blue Man Group, and Dire Straits tracks as well as others I can't tink of at the moment. A great demo of what 5.1 can do for audio.
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, acura, album, artists, audio, demo, disc, dts, dvd, dvds, great, mix, mixes, mixing, music, prophet, song, surround, tl, top