Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD-Audio & SACD Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software-52/)
-   -   The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software/402-best-sounding-dvd-audio-title-all-time-art-pepper-meets-rhythm-section.html)

JerryDelColliano 08-04-2007 09:41 AM

The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section

http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/artpeper.shtml

I owe this find to my friend Bob Stuart, the founder of Meridian. This Japanese release is 24-192 DVD-Audio and in stereo and if I were to have ANYONE over to my house and played them audio from my system - it would be this one album.

Recorded in 1959, this would be my first bit of evidence to argue with Mark Waldrep about the importance of getting GOOD back catalog music into high res formats. No, it doesn't have that new recording ZIP he can get on his AIX records but at 24-192 and EVEN with the limitations of 1959 recording equipment - I can make the hair on the back of your next stand up with this recording. I love AIX and what they do but I want ALL music up to this standard. Labels have a responsibility do so, I feel.

Here is the challenge to you... I GUARANTEE you this is the best Jazz disc you have ever heard. The question is - how can you find one? I got mine from Japan. Can you source one of these? If you can - treat it like it is gold because it is. If you find an online source - post it here!!!!

ncpl 10-03-2007 07:55 AM

Re: The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Secti

HMV in Tokyo used to stock it but I suspect it's now deleted. Probably the best demo disc ever.

JerryDelColliano 11-03-2007 11:26 AM

Re: The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Secti

I agree about this being the best demo ever.

I cite this as a point to my buddy Mark Waldrep at AIX records. His argument is 1957 recordings can only sound as good as the equipment and today's equipment is WAY better.

Mark's argument is a strong one and he makes FINE music that we all need to own. My argument is - LISTEN to this 1957 DVD-Audio title and tell me that the music doesn't move you and the audio BLOW YOU AWAY.

As Dick Clark once said "if its in the grooves - its in the grooves" The good news is at least theoretically - we can make archival music sound great. Too bad studios aren't interested in selling it to us.

deacongreg 11-03-2007 01:04 PM

Could you hip me to the Japan store you got this jem from?

David DelGrosso 11-03-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 5550)
As Dick Clark once said "if its in the grooves - its in the grooves" The good news is at least theoretically - we can make archival music sound great. Too bad studios aren't interested in selling it to us.

The sound quality of this recording PROVES that many "oldies" would sound great in a Hi-Rez format... but these tracks don't really blow me away.

Personally, I would love to purchase re-mastered 24/96 stereo versions of these classic jazz recordings:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Chick Corea - Return To Forever
Chick Corea - Romantic Warrior (in 5.1)
Herbie Han**** - Maiden Voyage
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert
Keith Jarrett - My Song
John McLaughlin - Inner Mounting Flame (in 5.1)
Ralph Towner - Diary
Ralph Towner - Solstice

How about a "Collectors Series" of HD-DVD MUSIC titles ?

* Re-mastered stereo tracks in uncompressed 24/ 96 PCM
* On-screen album artwork and artist bios/photos
* List price: $19.95

Am I the only one who would pay $20 for GREAT music-only discs?

DD

deacongreg 11-03-2007 01:44 PM

David, you know we think a like, when it comes to music. I must add Apolycalspe, By Mahavishnu Orchestra to that list. All, the Return to Forever lps should be on there as well. More train as well.

As far as Freddie goes, we can not leave his CTI classic, "First Light."

But, for now, for me, you, and Jerry, its just a dream right now.......................

Mark is not trying to here this!!