Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > DVD-Audio & SACD Software

DVD-Audio & SACD Software Discuss DVD-Audio & Super Audio CD titles here.

Old 11-09-2008   #13

Default Re: The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Secti

No one is going to argue about the musical merits of the Art Pepper recording but unless you think that the audio recording chain has regressed over the past 50 years, there is no doubt that this DVD-Audio disc has less fidelity than a high definition recording made in the past 5 years.

I've been using spectral analysis software to look carefully at the frequency response of various recording (including my own AIX Recordings) and the results are very interesting. The new Mellancamp CODE disc claims to be an "HD" format but since it was recorded on analog tape (and has the hiss to prove it) it should instead be classified as a standard definition product. It has a very limited dynamic range and extends only to around 20 kHz...although there is a frequency around 28 kHz that I take to the the bias frequency leaking through.

Our Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir DVD-Audio disc (which took the CEA "Best High Resolution Surround Disc" of 2005) is a real reference disc and has been lauded in reviews and even in the pages of this web site as a 9.5 out of 10. The dynamic range approaches 115 dB and the frequency analysis extends to above 40 kHz...something that no piece of tape or vinyl can come close to.

It's time to recognize that new HD recordings have the potential to out perform anything done before HD recording technology came on the scene...and this includes the Art Pepper recording. Jerry, it may sound great to you and lots of others...but it simply another standard definition recording.

BTW We are preparing to release 7.1 mixes of out projects on Blu-Ray discs in early 2009. We'll have a new sampler (also with a BD disc) and are finding great success with HD downloads.
Dr. AIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #14

Default Re: The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Secti

What artists do you have in mind for these 2009 recordings?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #15

We'll be doing Ernest Ranglin, Chamber Music Palisades, Albert Lee, John Gorka and a new sampler disc in the Blu-Ray format. These discs will have Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mixes on them.

I'm hoping to have them done by the first part of 2009.

Mark
Dr. AIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #16

That is good. Any chance that you would be doing any Jazz soon? Example: Stanley Clarke, Bob James, FourPlay, David Sanborn, Chris Botti?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

Our Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir DVD-Audio disc (which took the CEA "Best High Resolution Surround Disc" of 2005) is a real reference disc and has been lauded in reviews and even in the pages of this web site as a 9.5 out of 10. The dynamic range approaches 115 dB and the frequency analysis extends to above 40 kHz...something that no piece of tape or vinyl can come close to.
My post was never to knock the AIX stuff.
Heck I must have at least a doz disc all sonics top shelf.
Juber's was the 1st and plenty more followed.

Still smarting over the loss of the Warnes disk though!!!
750 Sig's/200/300's/UFW-10, Rotel 1065, Toshiba DVD-9200, AA DDS-Pro, P1a(SOCS)/P3a level2/P3b level 1 (P1/P3 EA'd), BPT 2.5 Ultra, QSymphony Pro, Sennheiser HD600/Equinox, GSP Solo,Xfeed, 20a dedicated circuit, 8thNerve
Ronm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #18

Smile Re: The best sounding DVD-Audio title of all time - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Secti

It's any posibility to send to Mr Colliaro a demo DVD-AUDIO make last year so you can evaluate-it

Need an adress...in US

My mail: ch@theaudio.comazine for

I have done some pre-mix and can forward a DVD-AUDIO burned for listening purposes.

Some of the recording process wass described in TV&VIDEO magazine for the LATIN AMERICAN edition some months ago..

Here is the link for the article:

http://www.tvyvideo.com/tv/secciones...ocumento=58596

Thank's and hope to get any respond...
theaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
24192, art, audio, audios, cd, dvd, dvdaudio, jazz, juber, laurence, meets, pepper, recordings, rhythm, section, sounding, stereo, time, titles