Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD-Audio & SACD Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software-52/)
-   -   Led Zeppelin Live on DVD-Audio (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software/400-led-zeppelin-live-dvd-audio.html)

JerryDelColliano 08-04-2007 10:31 AM

Led Zeppelin Live on DVD-Audio

http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/led_...vdaudiop1.html

Want a good reason why DVD-Audio didn't take off? When Atlantic Records puts out a Zeppelin record - they make it a live recording with nothing going on with the surround channels. Why not release the entire catalog or at least the early stuff first to see how it sells. Just from the VAST fan base of Zeppelin fans - they would have flocked to buy the records over again ESPECIALLY if there were added value goodies like songs that may or may not be found on upcoming releases such as this How The West Was Won.

Can you imagine if Atantic stuck a rare track as an added value in with a NICELY redone Zep record on a limited edition basis - just how much more popular the format could have been? Mainstream consumers might have bought a DVD-Audio disc JUST to find out what the hype was about. Instead they released B-list and C-list titles and you know the rest of the story.

blownrx7 08-06-2007 12:47 PM

Re: Led Zeppelin Live on DVD-Audio

Jerry,
I agree with you 100% on this one. A live album that is nothing special musically or audiophile-wise sounds a lot like "cheap music company ripoff" that will do nothing for them in the long run. Where is LZ 1, II, III etc ??? Wouldn't they sell far more just because fans want to supplement their collections or new listeners want to find out what all that 70's popularity was about???
In fact, I'll never understand the dearth of Rock and Roll DVD-A's and SACD's compared to the overwhelming # of jazz and classical discs.
Let's see, ignore the vast majority of music buyers by pigeon-holing mainstream listeners/buyers into being uncaring about music quality and you guarantee that it happens that way...

deacongreg 08-06-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 1651)
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won DVD-Audio disc reviewed

Want a good reason why DVD-Audio didn't take off? When Atlantic Records puts out a Zeppelin record - they make it a live recording with nothing going on with the surround channels. Why not release the entire catalog or at least the early stuff first to see how it sells. Just from the VAST fan base of Zeppelin fans - they would have flocked to buy the records over again ESPECIALLY if there were added value goodies like songs that may or may not be found on upcoming releases such as this How The West Was Won.

Can you imagine if Atantic stuck a rare track as an added value in with a NICELY redone Zep record on a limited edition basis - just how much more popular the format could have been? Mainstream consumers might have bought a DVD-Audio disc JUST to find out what the hype was about. Instead they released B-list and C-list titles and you know the rest of the story.

You know Jerry you mentioned this stuff before, and we have both discussed it. But just reading your thread, it just hit me, record companies and executives are dealing in fear. Or, the executives running them, have absolutely no idea or business sense, to take things to the next level. It seems outside of trying to get the next new hot talent to tour like crazy and sell billions, they have absolutely no idea what to do with their current classic inventory.

And I disagree with blownrx7, at least for the jazz that I listened to, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Jean Luc Ponty, all CTI JAZZ, I see the same rock, folk, blues and old standard jazz recordings. And do not get me wrong here, I love John Coltrane, Monk, Bill Evans, but that is all I see. There is so much more out there. In fact, this goes back to you Jerry, who at the executive level, makes the decision as to what artists go to high rez. Unfortunately now, what is done, is now done.

JerryDelColliano 08-07-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownrx7 (Post 1731)
Jerry,
I agree with you 100% on this one. A live album that is nothing special musically or audiophile-wise sounds a lot like "cheap music company ripoff" that will do nothing for them in the long run. Where is LZ 1, II, III etc ??? Wouldn't they sell far more just because fans want to supplement their collections or new listeners want to find out what all that 70's popularity was about???
In fact, I'll never understand the dearth of Rock and Roll DVD-A's and SACD's compared to the overwhelming # of jazz and classical discs.
Let's see, ignore the vast majority of music buyers by pigeon-holing mainstream listeners/buyers into being uncaring about music quality and you guarantee that it happens that way...

Led Zeppelin 1-IV plus Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti would sell as a set. The Zep box set sold well MOSTLY to people who had all of the music already.

Let me ask you this question and to everyone else out there - if WEA put out EVERY Zeppelin record touched up for high res audio, with PRO MP3 files (copy protected) and video as well as live supplementals - are you telling me you couldn't find a way to convince Santa to put that under the tree for you this Holiday season?

kennyt 08-07-2007 05:29 PM

I would buy it, especially if it included Presense.... my favorite LZ album.

timbre4 08-12-2007 09:11 PM

Of course the LZ studio catalog is OBVIOUS as the killer app that never came to DVD-A. That would have been a huge success and still could be. It has been mentioned 10-15 times as DVD-A request at becausesoundmatters.com (vinyl for now but promising new Warner DVD-A)

It should also be noted that the LZ shows selected for the How The West Was Won are among the most bootlegged concerts in history. They are very well played and quite listenable.

HTWWW was a NEW release during the exact time of the brief DVD-A window and that is the reason it even came out. Or it never would have been...

Saw them in 1977 and know what a bad night sounds like.....