Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > DVD-Audio & SACD Software

DVD-Audio & SACD Software Discuss DVD-Audio & Super Audio CD titles here.

Old 04-24-2009   #7
rex

Default Re: How to choose a good and appropriate DVD Ripper for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
I have gone a different way to make my HD movie files that takes about 4 GB per hour instead of the 10 to 15 GB per hour a ripped Blu-ray takes.
rbinck,
Care to share any details?

Personally, I use AnyDVD ( http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html ) to make backups of my movies. Those of you with kids at home already know why this is important! If you remove all of the extra features, a two-hour Blu-ray feature film will fit on one 4.7GB DVD-SL in H.264/AVC at a resolution of 720p with AC-3 audio; of course these can only be played back on a BD player. (BD blanks are still too expensive for me to use them for backups.) You can also make MPEG-2 backups of BD's for playback on regular DVD players without incurring the additional expense of buying a DVD version of your movie. AnyDVD is the only software I am aware of to-date that effectively allows you to defeat the BD+ security of Blu-ray discs. Besides allowing you to rip the movie to your hardrive, you can playback the original disc on non-HDCP compliant monitors/video cards. Very highly recommended for serious HT enthusiasts!
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #8
Administrator

Sure. First, I have three HTPCs. My first I still use is a 2 Ghz P4 Compaq EVO with a MIT ATSC/QAM tuner card. If a good movie is broadcast I can record it and remove the commercials with VideoReDo software. For details see: MyHTPC.

The second HTPC is a HP z560 dual core 3.0 GHz with a HD DVD/Blu-ray combo drive and nVIDIA GS 7600 video card with component outputs.

The third HTPC is a 3.4 Ghz hyperthread with a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR Video Capture device that is connected through a component switch to either my U-verse DVR or the 2nd HTPC. I can record in 1080i either from the HTPC from HDM or from the DVR. The resulting recordings are at or better than broadcast HD. While not at HD DVD or Blu-ray level it is very good. The storage savings is well worth the slightly reduced picture quality.

The files from the 1212 are h.264 in a m2ts container at 9 mbps. The files from the ATSC card are mpeg2 in .tp containers.

I get a lot of older movies that are not available on HDM from HDNet Movies.

So to get a 2 hour movie on a 4.7 Gb disc, you must be re-encoding the files? Is that with AnyDVD also? My copy would only rip them.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #9
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
So to get a 2 hour movie on a 4.7 Gb disc, you must be re-encoding the files? Is that with AnyDVD also? My copy would only rip them.
That is correct. AnyDVD just allows you to rip the discs. After that, there are various ways to proceed. For more detailed information please see these links:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

http://forum.videohelp.com/user-guides-f15.html

I have found both of these sites to be very useful in providing information about video.

Last edited by rex; 04-24-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Old 04-24-2009   #10
Administrator

I've gone that route before I got the 1212. Took more time ripping and re-encoding than the length of the movie. I find just as good results (actually better) by playing a HDM disc out of one PC and recording on the other. My files are 1920x1080 at 9tmbps so they are a bit larger than what you are getting. I can't play them on a Blu-ray player without re-encoding, but I don't have any need for that. Everyone I might share with have the WD players, so I can just put a file on a flash drive.
Old 04-24-2009   #11
rex

Indeed, it can take a while! I don't back up many Blu-ray discs, though it is nice to know how. While the video quality of a 720p backup is nearly as good as the original (most people would be hard pressed to tell any difference), the AC-3 audio quality is, of course, noticeably inferior to lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA. I don't have an HT PC setup, and don't watch any movies on my PC. I just play stuff back on the HD DVR (with an attached external 750GB HD) or a disc player. With your setup, I imagine you still need to use AnyDVD-HD in order to play across component?
Old 04-24-2009   #12
Administrator

No the PowerDVD player will play HD in analog either component or VGA just fine. I know some of the stand alone players down convert to 480p through the component outputs thus requiring the use of HDMI, but the PC doesn't. I like not having to have the AnyDVD loaded.

And like you said, people would be hard pressed to tell it was a recording.
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, choose, dualdisc, dvd, dvdaudio, forum, good, hdcp, hdtv, hp, rip, ripper, ripperforum, sacd, sound