Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-26-2007   #49

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Could that be the start of a crumbling house of cards??
It'll be very telling if Onkyo comes out with a Blu-Ray only player.

Can HD-DVD survive with only Toshiba making consumer models of HD-DVD players?
The Meridian will obviously be a high end piece if it ever makes it to market.

Wow Italy's Distributor can't afford to sell them at a profit and it's the end of the world. Some countries already have this unit on sale, and the US gets it next week.

All this means is that Onkyo doesnt have strong European distribution.

The rebadged XA2 will be on sale here in the states. Yes, it is slightly modified by Onkyo, and supposedly plays back Redbook CDs better amongst other improvements.

It fits in with the new Toshiba's nicely. The A35 I believe has a DVDO processor, while the Onkyo has HQV.

Meridian's rep told me that their player will be at CES.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #50

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsavoie View Post
Unless I'm mistaken,HD DVD players can play all regular DVD'S plus HD DVD'S.Since the Toshiba HD DVD players now don't cost much more than a good regular DVD player,and hopefully this Toshiba is a good HD DVD and regular DVD player,it's a win win situation for the consumer as far as I am concerned.The consumer can always buy a Blue Ray DVD player later on when the prices go down.By the way,do some Blue ray DVD players play regular DVD'S.

BD players play regular DVDs. The Toshiba players are amazing upconverting DVD players and some of the BD players are hit and miss on this. However you're right for $170 street right now you can get a really nice upconverting DVD player that just happens to play HD DVDs.
Old 11-26-2007   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
BD players play regular DVDs. The Toshiba players are amazing upconverting DVD players and some of the BD players are hit and miss on this.
Oh for crying out loud!!
The Blu-Ray players are also very good upconverting DVD players.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Oh for crying out loud!!
The Blu-Ray players are also very good upconverting DVD players.
They all aren't. Like I said they are hit and miss. Some of them are just as good as the Toshibas, some are not. There is no reason to roll your eyes because I state the truth. I'm not making some stupid statement that the Toshibas are superior to BD as a whole or anything. I'm stating that BD is hit or miss on upconverting DVDs. Some units just don't compare to the Toshibas. While others use the same HQV chipset and are equal.

You guys just never get over anything. Seriously stop with taking everything so personally. There was nothing wrong about my statement and it was 100% factual. Just because some companies make a BD player that isn't very good at upconverting and I point it out does not mean that I'm attacking BD as a format. Unfortunately all BD players are not created equal.
Old 11-27-2007   #53

Lotus,

"hit or miss" is not "100% factual".

while it's true that not all HD disc players are equals in regards to upconversion, Blu-ray players are hardly "hit or miss" as you mis-characterize. Your choice of words seemed to spin the facts to sound less positive than it really is. Should I start making broad and misleading statements about the load time of HD DVD players to compensate?

The Majority of BD players do an outstanding job of upconverting, and compare admirably with the better Toshiba HD DVD players (as does the PS3). And even those that aren't "reference" upconverters still to a fine job that meets or exceeds the scaling quality built in to most displays.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Lotus,

"hit or miss" is not "100% factual".

while it's true that not all HD disc players are equals in regards to upconversion, Blu-ray players are hardly "hit or miss" as you mis-characterize. Your choice of words seemed to spin the facts to sound less positive than it really is. Should I start making broad and misleading statements about the load time of HD DVD players to compensate?

The Majority of BD players do an outstanding job of upconverting, and compare admirably with the better Toshiba HD DVD players (as does the PS3). And even those that aren't "reference" upconverters still to a fine job that meets or exceeds the scaling quality built in to most displays.
Yes it's factual. Can you buy a BD player on the market that is actually POOR at upconversion? YES. That would be a "miss." Can you buy a BD player on the market that is good (and as good as the Toshiba)? YES. That would be a "hit," and you also have other players that fall in between.

I misrepresented nothing, and all this does is show what extent you will go to defend a format even when no defense is needed. There was nothing wrong with the statement but what you read into it. I meant nothing more than there are both good and bad upconverting BD players. It's not a strike on the format at all, but a warning that he should do research before choosing a player. He should choose a player based on his own criteria but be aware that all aren't created equal even if priced similarly.
Sponsored Links

Tags
blue, bluray, boulet, david, dvd, email, free, good, hd, hdtv, player, players, ray, sell, sold, trouble