Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-06-2007   #13

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

LBrize,

Welcome to the forum! How did you find us?

I think you will find the # of movies growing weekly, I for one shop Amazon.com for my movies as they have good pricing (far better than BB/CC) and ship to my door in 2 days free. They even have a deal if you buy three discs at once, all HD disks you buy for the next year are 10% off.

I don't know if it is fair to extrapolate the outcome of movie systems like gaming systems, but we will see.

I don't know what is going to end this format war, if anything. I just wish we never had it, but that is a pipe dream, now I just want all my players and associated devices to work!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #14

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

Moose,

It looks like it was just the DVD version of Transformers that out sold Spider-man 3 DVD 3-to-1. But whatever, it is just a bunch of PR number reporting.

Anyway, I think my point is that if players are not playing the titles, then what are software titles worth? Nothing.

What happens if/when the dual players start being the norm as standalone players? Then software titles make no difference. And both formats will exist together, or studios will choose one or the other. But with dual players it doesn't make a bit of difference.

So, in the end I believe the players are going to make the bigger difference here.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #15

This just further proves the point that the majority care about one thing:

Price.

Nothing new here. The industry also knew that $199 was likely "the sweet spot," but that $99 to $149 were the ideal price point.

MS will be dropping their drive another $30 shortly ($149) and the new $149 standalone player is reportedly going to ship at the end of the month from Magnavox for Wal-Mart.

The A3 was always meant to sell at $199 after a time, the manufacturing cost of that unit can support the $199 MSRP. I wouldn't be shocked if the price fell to $199 for the Holidays.

BD will have a $349 price point player this holiday season.

If rumors are true that SOFTWARE prices are going to drop to $14.99 MSRP for certain catalog titles and $19.99 for others ... then WB and Universal have a winning formula for HD DVD.

Cheap sells.

Always has. BD has thrived on the PS3 despite the fact that only about 20% of all PS3s are ever used for movies. Still with 6M units in homes, BD has held a lead in software sales.

In one weekend a 33% increase in "total in home units," appears to have happened for HD DVD, and if it means say a 20% increase in software sales... HD DVD will look extremely healthy to the studios.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #16

There are obviously more hd dvd enthusiasts out there than bd enthusiasts. Just for the simple reasons of hd dvd came out on the market first, so there's a head start already. We all know how everyone gets when something new comes out. "GO BUY IT"! That would then mean there are more movies on the shelves or on Amazon. So, it makes sense that Transformers out sold Spiderman 3, but I'll gaurantee it was a closer race to the check out line than the figures show. I have noticed that there are more appealing titles out on hd dvd and more new releases, so inturn will put hd dvd sales at a higher scale than bd. When you have to wait for titles to come out that you prefer, that will obviously put sales behind one another. I don't know why everyone is fighting about this whole format war, but it is pretty ridiculous. Because society says bd is more expensive it is better. B*?!#?*t! Stop listening to everyone else and their opinions and we all know what opinions are like....! Sit down compare the 2 and make your own decisions! BD is not exactly perfected yet, but it's becoming real close. If you are looking at BD look very closely to each brand and omit LG, but there are still a few that if you look closely. You will notice that there are jagged outlines on characters and objects. I love Pioneer Elite products, but their BD is one and Sony is another. Samsung is not too bad, so Panasonic would be the best bet. That is not an opinion because I still wouldn't by it. Myself, I would wait for the Pioneer Elite to be perfect because every other Elite product I own is incredible. Now if you look at the HD DVD player it is clear and always has been. I'm not partial to either one, but from what I see, hear and sell. I can't order enough Toshiba HD-A20s. 1080p need I say anymore? BDs competitor and cheaper! When it comes down to it if there was no software there wouldn't be any components to by. Just like SACD and DVD-A. Except that was nothing compared to this war. Maybe everyone should go back to just listening to music. It seems to be more relaxing and less argumentative.
The Elite A/VPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #17

Personally, I am not interested in getting either format player until:

1. Prices are $200 or lower
2. RELIABLY connects and works every time without headaches
3. Plenty of movie titles in the usual rental outlets
4. Plenty of concert titles available to purchase

I would prefer that one format die completely, OR, for dual format players abound that meet the first two criteria in my list; I could care less which.

I just acquired my first HDTV back in January of 2007; and while I LOVE watching good quality HD feeds - I am just not that interested until the industry gets their crap together and reliably delivers the technology at a reasonable price. I went through all of this with VHS and BetaMax ages ago; I bet big on BetaMax and lost. I have not fogotten that lesson; and I will not repeat it. Period.

If all consumers would firmly take this stand and boycott until - the manufacturers would respond to meet the demand much faster than they are now. It's simple business economics.

TD
tdarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdarst View Post

If all consumers would firmly take this stand and boycott until - the manufacturers would respond to meet the demand much faster than they are now. It's simple business economics.

TD
Welcome to the forum! The only problem with boycotting the formats is that we'll see a repeat of the DVD-A/SACD battle where the winner was downloaded MP3 files. If we sit around waiting for one or the other to win, neither will survive and we'll be watching low-rez movie downloads from Bill Gates and company.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blue, bluray, boulet, david, dvd, email, free, good, hd, hdtv, player, players, ray, sell, sold, trouble