Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 12-02-2007   #67

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
I agree with you that since the add-on is specifically purchased with movie-playback in mind, that it accurately points to a meaningful attach-rate figure. We can only hypothosize about attach-rates for BD given the uncertainty about what percentage of PS3 players are used for movie-playback (corresponding with add-on use) and those used primarily for gaming. However, one must also concede that leaving all PS3s out of an attach-rate evaluation, while applying 360-add-ons for the HD DVD camp, skews the comparison between the two since it omits a meaningful portion of BD movie watchers, even though that exact figure cannot be determined.
Again the numbers are out there for PS3 usage, people like Parks Associates and others quote numbers from Sony often.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #68

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

Lotus,

quick question on the Meridian HD DVD player. I just emailed Bob Stuart of Meridian asking about their support of HD DVD and if they had plans to release a combo or BD player as well. He wrote back and said that at this time they've not announced a product for *either* format:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I am not sure where you read this, but Meridian has not yet made any announcements about for which, if any, formats it will build players. Certainly the battle still rages!"

What exactly is the source that's indicated that they are releasing an HD DVD player? The above comment was from Bob Stuart himself in an email to me this morning.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #69

Quote:
Lotus,

quick question on the Meridian HD DVD player. I just emailed Bob Stuart of Meridian asking about their support of HD DVD and if they had plans to release a combo or BD player as well. He wrote back and said that at this time they've not announced a product for *either* format:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I am not sure where you read this, but Meridian has not yet made any announcements about for which, if any, formats it will build players. Certainly the battle still rages!"

What exactly is the source that's indicated that they are releasing an HD DVD player? The above comment was from Bob Stuart himself in an email to me this morning.
http://media.meridian-audio.com/pres...ddvd-ces07.pdf

That would be the source, Meridian themselves.

They state there that no information about a player(s) will be announced until they have a handle on it. I've been told to expect the possibility of a prototype at CES in 2008, but it may get pushed to CEDIA 2008.

Bob is very close to the vest on this because he has helped both HD DVD and BD with some technical issues. He wasn't too happy with the HD DVD Promotional Group in the first place for leaking his player in a press release. He hates products being announced before they're ready or meet his standards. So he released the press release from Meridian saying they've joined the HD Promotional Group, but they also slipped in "working with MS on high end players," which does just enough to say that the HDPRG weren't lying, but then adds on at the end "we're not ready to say anything."

I have more on this, but they hate information being spread before they're ready to talk about it. Just know that they are working on a high end player that would make Meridian fans proud.
Old 12-04-2007   #70

Thanks Lotus.

BTW, "who" are you? The fact that you would have more information on a topic like this, outside of normal release-channels, would imply that you're on some sort of inside-track.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #71

Quote:
Thanks Lotus.

BTW, "who" are you? The fact that you would have more information on a topic like this, outside of normal release-channels, would imply that you're on some sort of inside-track.
My family has been in the TV selling and repairing business for over 50 years. I used my EE degree while working R&D for a major CE company and then again for one of its competitors after a 2 year "break."

As for my information on Meridian, it wasn't a big secret about how they reacted to the press release from the HDDVDPRG. They were not happy to be outed by them.

However they are a member of both next gen groups, and they have "players," in the works. If I was a betting man I'd bet on an HD DVD player with DVD-A capabilities and on a combo player also with DVD-A capabilities. However I'm sure they have a BD prototype as well.

It's just hard to say what direction they're going to go. Toshiba's prices have nothing to do with their market. So they may be enticed by the larger playerbase. It's just really hard to say.
Sponsored Links

Tags
blue, bluray, boulet, david, dvd, email, free, good, hd, hdtv, player, players, ray, sell, sold, trouble