Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-30-2007   #49

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

I picked up the Spiderman 3 Trilogy today & running version 1.93 software that was released over a month ago Spiderman 3 played with no problems on my Playstation 3
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #50

Yeah Yeah! MY PS3 will likely be here before I get the damn notebook PC I bought to work! I'm on hold on tech support right now.... Going on an hour or more..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #51

New notebook doesn't work, well that sucks!!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #52

I should mention that the only update I needed to apply on my PS3 "to play a movie" was for the Pirates BDs. Other than that (including Spiderman) everthing has played fine. I don't even have the latest firmware (my firmware was applied months ago to get 1080p24 and 720p scaling).
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #53

I needed them for POTC, and now both my players need another one for Spiderman 3.

God news is I got my PC up so I will have much less hassle doing them now...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #54

As you probably already know... this "problem" extends to many players already in people's homes... AND many of the other new discs that will be coming out.

When the Blu-ray Disc Association mandated that all players released after October 31, 2007 must support a new feature set for BD-Java (the technology that enables "extra features" like movie commentary and picture-in-picture), they were well aware of the "backward compatibility" issues.

1) This new feature set for BDJ is not currently supported by players already on the market. That means old discs may not work in the new players, and new discs may not work in old players.

2) Old players weren't mandated to have Ethernet ports on them, (like the HD DVD spec)... which means that the only way to upgrade the players is from a special disc, or by sending the player back to the manufacturer. YIKES!

(PS: As in "PS"-3, the most popular Blu-ray player, already has an Ethernet port and gets regular firmware updates.)

Are we having FUN yet?

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bdp5000, blu, box, firmware, fox, games, man, play, player, players, playspider, ray, requires, spiderman, update