Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-27-2007   #31

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

The advantage of the HD formats is you can RENT them which is pretty nice.

I don't see needing to BUY movies for $20 a piece when unlike music titles - you don't watch too many of them over and over.

j
Old 10-27-2007   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
The advantage of the HD formats is you can RENT them which is pretty nice.

I don't see needing to BUY movies for $20 a piece when unlike music titles - you don't watch too many of them over and over.

j
That is a great point that you continue to bring up. That is cool. But still, it should be power up, eject, play, hug your wife, watch the movie.

There are places for firmware updates, but not here!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Me too!

That's why I signed up for Time Warner's Digital cable package. For $49.95 per month, I can access more than 100 HD movies and sporting events... and can record them to watch them whenever, and as often as, I want to.

For the same price, I could purchase 2 or 3 Blu-ray discs... or NOT.

DD
Yes David, your right on it. DirecTV is over priced, over hyped, and sub contracted out. With Cablevision, you can request an "in House Tech" to come to your humble abode, as opposed to the 10% of contractors that they have. Good stuff.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #34

You guys are making far too much out of far too little. BD-J interactivity and new BD profiles are evolving fast. Hence the updates issue. In about 18 months those issues will have been worked out pretty comprehensively and very few players/discs shipping after that point will require updates for any "watch a movie" functionality. By the time J6P buys a player, it will be a non-issue. For any HD DVD proponent trying to spin this upgradability as a problem with BD, I'm assuming you never applied any updates to your Tosh A1 in order to get 5.1 Dolby True HD playback or compatibility with various combo-discs that required software updates to play properly?
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #35

Hi, David. I have applied many firmware updates to my Toshiba players. However, none were necessary for me to play a new movie I purchased and brought home for my family to enjoy.

Might be a mountain out of a molehill, but the point of the forum is discussion, and there is no right opinion until the future judges and enforces the judgment.

For myself, I am currently eying the LG-200 or the new Samsung combo player (when and if it is available).

Mike
mgdurand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #36

I for one do not think combo players are the answer. They are looking to cost ~$1,000. I can buy BOTH a dedicated HD DVD player and Blu-ray player for almost half that and I then have easier upgrade paths.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bdp5000, blu, box, firmware, fox, games, man, play, player, players, playspider, ray, requires, spiderman, update