Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-25-2007   #25

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
The bottom line is that:

1) Blu-ray needed to match HD-DVD's intro timeline, or be eliminated from contention.. so they entered with what was ready.

2) MOST of the BD early adopters are PS3 enthusiasts who mostly use their player for the games!

3) 95% of the potential "target" BD movie owners have not yet purchased a BD movie player, and will patiently wait until Profile 2.0 is perfected AND affordable (2008?)

What am I missing?

DD
I actually bought the PS3 for the BD capabilities. I thought in the future my kids might enjoy it as a game console. I have yet to buy or even try a game in it. What games??? They have only now released a few games. It was marketed, in my opinion, as a BD player first and foremost. The countless emails I received from Sony touting the BD functions and HD "movie" capabilities were definately in the forefront of all the advertisements I saw.

The biggest problem I see for the consumer is the availablity of movies. I went to BB to purchase a BD and they may have had 20 to choose from. The HD DVD section was three times as big, but still lacking. Until good movies are released and available neither format will really hit mainstream. That's what killed DVD-A and SACD or at least for me.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #26

J.J.

check out Amazon, they have every title of both BD and HD DVD's. If you buy three at once, then for the next year all your HD discs are 10% off. I rountinely order discs from the for $17.95 shipped to my door!

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #27

Thumbs up Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

I'll check it out, thanks!
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
And 8.3 MILLION DVDs !!

Based on those numbers, HD disc sales represent 3 % of the overall disc sales.

And all I am saying is that Blu-ray DOES have their act together, compared to what to they originally claimed they would accomplish with this format.

It was never introduced as a DVD movie replacement... it was introduced as a "blue laser" technology with massive storage capacity that would EVENTUALLY provide the most advanced package of benefits.

As in:

BUYER BEWARE: This is a two-year development roll-out, NOT just a new technology for watching HD movies!

DD
Well David, I believe then if that was what was intended, mabe myself and others did not receive it as such. But even so, my main point here is, regardless of what was originally intended by SONY or anyone else, to just play a movie disc, should NOT have all the drama and inconvenience associated it with. And to suggest,t that we should come to expect that as the norm, is that what we have all this equipment for. Absolutely not. This is not bashing. Its about simplicity, and making your product with user friendliness.
I just want to watch a movie. That`s all.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #29

Thumbs up Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

My Blu-Ray player isn't the only piece of equipment I have that can get firmware updates, both of my DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR's get regular updates, some need to be forced & some are automatic, also my Denon AVR3808ci can get Updated firmware.

I believe we should get ready for firmware updates being the norm sooner rather than later, the more computer like our AV gear gets the more it can do, My PS3 firmware hasn't been to just fix bugs, it can do things now it couldn't do when it was released.

I have yet to have a problem doing a firmware upgrade with any of my gear, of course everything is hooked to the internet either wired or wireless.
The PS3 can be updated by disc or thumb drive if it's not connected.

I'm not in the high end of home theater price wise, I'm more in the low mid range, but now that my gear can be upgraded it will be a requirement of all my gear in the future.
As a matter of fact the one feature that led me to choose my Denon receiver over several others was the fact it could be upgraded.
Firmware updates are here now & I believe they are here to stay.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
I just want to watch a movie. That`s all.
Me too!

That's why I signed up for Time Warner's Digital cable package. For $49.95 per month, I can access more than 100 HD movies and sporting events... and can record them to watch them whenever, and as often as, I want to.

For the same price, I could purchase 2 or 3 Blu-ray discs... or NOT.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bdp5000, blu, box, firmware, fox, games, man, play, player, players, playspider, ray, requires, spiderman, update