Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-19-2007   #7

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdurand1@cox.net View Post
I have both a Blu-Ray player (Sony BDP-S1) and an HD-DVD player (Toshiba HD-A2). Also have the PS3 and it performs well with Blu-ray movies.

Have had many such issues on the Sony BDP-S1 requiring numerous firmware updates for new releases, and on some even after the update the load times are very long (FF-Rise of the Silver Surfer being the most recent). Had only one such problem on the Toshiba early on. To my old eyes, both have superb video quality and cannot be distinguished on quality pressings. Studio support favors Blu-ray, but the nod on cost and (at this time) functionality goes to HD-DVD IHHO. Capacity goes to Blu-ray as well, but have not noticed a difference to date. Am frankly happier to date with the performance (functionality-wise) of the $299 HD-DVD over the $1,000 Blu-ray.

I don't think the issue is understanding why Hi-Def DVD (both formats) is superior to standard DVD - that is evident with a first viewing. I think the hesitation is due ot the fear of one format becoming obsolete and "throwing away) substantial dollars if one bets "wrong." Witness VHS/Beta and more recently DVD-Audio/SACD. I hope the smoke clears soon and a single standard is established, which will clear the way for mass acceptance and market growth/price drop.
Though as Jerry and keenyt know, I`m moving in the HD DVD camp, I`m with you. Which is why I have not moved yet. This latest debacle with Spiderman 3 is just another reason that makes you say Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. You should be able to have that great excitement when you purchase the disc, gain momentum when you crack the wrapper to put in your player, and receive the ultimate upon playing it. Not, you need a update!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #8

Hmmm. I've had the PS3 and only once (Pirates) did I need to install a new firmware update for movie playback. But is it really a big deal? I like the fact that the software can evolve past what was available when my unit shipped from the factory and all I have to do is run a firmware update and I've got the latest code.

Problem?

Toshiba's HD DVD units have required similar updates... more than one... to play various combo disc and to fix other issues. Did the HD DVD crowd cry foul? No... they just appreciated the fact that updates were made available. Why not the same attitude with BD?

If you bought a particular BD unit that's prone to problems more than most, that's a problem with the model, and not the BD format as a whole. The PS3 performs rock-solidly and out-performs all Toshiba players in speed and produces a glorious 1080p24 image which none of the budget-Toshiba models do.

Quote:
Capacity goes to Blu-ray as well, but have not noticed a difference to date.
Warner refuses to show an advantage with 50GB BD and uses 30GB HD DVD masters on all their 50GB BD discs... so the studio is choosing not to take advantage. However, the lack of lossless audio on Transformers was a direct result of the bandwidth limitation on HD DVD (so paramount reps have said). Disney, Fox, and Sony have consistently provided lossless audio on all BD product, something that no HD DVD studio seems to be able to do. I think it's more than a curiosity that such differences fall across format lines.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 10-19-2007 at 08:36 AM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #9

I am soooo eager to make the HD/Blue Ray DVD jump.

It looks amazing and I have been tempted more and more each day with such offers as the free HD DVDs with the purchase of the XBox 360 HD drive, Best Buy's $14.99 Blue Ray sale this week, and the like.

What is holding back, in addition to the format war, are the technical issues like this.

I have an Xbox 360 and considered getting the add on drive, but there is no HDMI/1080P, along with other quality issues. I thought about buying a Playstation 3 for the Blue Ray and then these tech issues pop up too.

I am eager to see the new Samsung BD-P5000 combo player, but I hear the release is delayed.

Before these formats launched, I felt I was leaning towards the Blue Ray camp, but the one thing I like about HD DVD are the combo discs. I do not want to buy the same movie multiple times! (I have already done that with laserdiscs and dvds) I do not want to buy a blue ray disc to play in my living room and a regular dvd to play in my bedroom or portable dvd player. Plus the price of the discs needs to come down overall.
rboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #10

While I love both Blu-ray and HD DVD I have had NO trouble with any of my HD DVD players. Even my old XA-1 (while slow loading) has worked flawlessly since day one. Sadly, my Blu-ray player can not say the same. Sony's own firmware update broke my player. Now, to Sony's credit they took care of it and shipped me a new player, but still. I think firmware updates right out of the box are a complete joke. When I bought the PS3 I had to run a firmware update as soon as I turned it on the first time. Granted my PS3 is now BULLET PROOF when it comes to spinning Blu-ray discs, but a firmware update (that takes 20-35min) isn't my idea of good times when purchasing the latest kick ass gaming system.

I for one am tired of being an unsuspecting beta tester for products that are only half finished. Early adopter my ass, we're past that now. We're more than a year into the "war" and the stuff should work. To still release players (this goes for both camps) that don't play discs, or need updates to start, etc is unacceptable, and manufactuers wonder why some still sit on the fence as far as which format to buy.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com

Last edited by Robinson_A; 10-19-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #11

I too love them both, but Andrew brings up a good point. I suspect HD DVD is more proprietary, and therefore easier to keep functioning. (Think Mac!) while BD seems to be frought with issues. Lately my players have been functioning flawlessly, but I do not yet have my copy of FF ROTSS so I will see soon...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #12

Thumbs down Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
I for one am tired of being an unsuspecting beta tester for products that are only half finished. Early adopter my ass, we're past that now. We're more than a year into the "war" and the stuff should work. To still release players (this goes for both camps) that don't play discs, or need updates to start, etc is unacceptable, and manufactuers wonder why some still sit on the fence as far as which format to buy.
I agree, and even as an early adopter you are paying a premium for the aggravation associated with new technology. Being first to market or trying to gain market share when your products aren't ready to be released is unacceptable!
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bdp5000, blu, box, firmware, fox, games, man, play, player, players, playspider, ray, requires, spiderman, update