Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 07-06-2007   #19

Default Shootouts

Originally Posted by FiguredMaple
I am interested in an on-wall (not in-wall) speaker shoot out. Including a comparison with similar cabinet speakers from the same brands would be great.

I'm also interested in a comparison with the new Receivers that have Dolby TrueHD and HDMI 1.3. Particularly from brands like Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Denon, etc.

-----

We don't really do shootouts because there is one winner and the rest are losers. Its not fair when you consider the complexities of the products.

j
Old 07-07-2007   #20

Default Re: AVRev.com wants to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
delling001,
You know, I one that loves the Blu - Ray/HD - DVD picture, but, am waiting to see what is going to happen. A universal player plays everything, except high definition discs. That is where I am staying for now. Now, as far as universal HD players, I don`t know about that. I believe this format war is tricky, and most manufacturers have chosen their allegiance as to which side they are on.

I have not heard of anyone joining LG in marketing a universal Blu - Ray/HD player. Now, a full blown universal, that does ALL formats, including HD, that would be something. But, do not hold your breath.....................
deacongreg,
Your comments are interesting and to some extent strengthened by me on a different front the other day (after I posted my original interest below). I went into a major A/V chain in San Jose and they had players for each Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, AND the LG Universal HD player to look at. An obvious point I did not pick up on earlier was the price point for the LG Universal HD player.... $1199. Not exactly a compelling reason to go that route considering what you can buy the individual Blu-Ray and HD-DVD format players for today. However, that is a lot of hardware to keep adding to the shelves too.... and a competitively priced universal option that can someday also bridge those two HD formats (along with all other formats as you mentioned) for the consumer (ala Oppo style) would be compelling I think. I guess this technology is all too new to the marketplace for nice to haves at this point however...?? Thanks for your reply, and I too will keep watching how these competing HD formats continue to push marketing strategies in effort to reach consumer critical mass over the other.
delling001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #21

Default Re: AVRev.com wants to know

$1199 is a little steep - I agree.

One of our new HD movie reviewers is getting the LG. I will be interested to hear how he likes it.

There needs to be a $199 solution that plays both discs and is sold in new channels like Costco and Walmart. Imagine a Vizio player? Can you say "attach sale" with software goodies to run the margins up?
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, avrev, avrevcom, colliano, del, editor, jerry, oppo, revolution, robran, video