Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-12-2007   #13

Default Re: The CEA Nixes 1080p Video Through Analog Component Cables

Although Jerry's posting raises some interesting points about the importance of providing consumers an optimal audio/video experience, there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the CEA standards setting process that merits clarification. The posting suggests that CEA "refused to allow a standard" related to 1080p and analog component cables. But in reality, all of CEA's standards committees work by consensus of the participants, and committees are open to any company with a material interest. Decisions reflect the will of those companies who invest the time to participate in the standards process, and outcomes are not dictated by CEA. CEA is a facilitator and record keeper.

Here is how this particular matter evolved. A company proposed to Working Group 5 of CEA’s DTV Interface Subcommittee that it add 1080p to the component analog interface standard. The Working Group met in August to determine whether there was consensus to expand the current analog component video standard to include 1080p. After extensive discussion, the working group determined that sufficient consensus did not exist to undertake that task at this time. The proponent of expanding the analog standard was invited to present the 1080p proposal at the next full subcommittee meeting for further discussion. That subcommittee meeting is scheduled for next week in conjunction with CEA’s Technology & Standards Forum event in San Diego. Indeed, this was not the first time the same issue had come before a CEA standards group -- the same proposal had been made a couple of years earlier and had been rejected by the body due to insufficient support.

The same committee that declined to make this change also manages our HDMI plugfest events two times a year. CEA supports that effort in conjunction with the HDCP licensing agent. The event now draws over 400 people with approximately 100 products and takes a full week of non-stop testing. The next one is coming up at the end of October.

In addition to our standards setting work, CEA also works to educate retailers and consumers about issues related to HDMI to help ensure that all consumers can benefit from the highest quality audio/video experience.

Brian Markwalter
VP – Technology and Standards
CEA
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #14

To paraphrase Lord of the Rings--

One Cable to rule them all, One Cable to find them, One Cable to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #15

Jerry,

can you route your HDMI for video to device dedicated to the task of AV switching/scaling like the new DVDO 1080p scaler/switcher? Of course, writing that I see the problem, you need to send HDMI to your audio gear to get multi-channel lossless audio. Hmmm. too bad current devices only provide a single HDMI out. With time, I think most manufacturers will start to get better reliability with HDMI handshaking. Do your meridian and other manufacturers offer any software updates that address the issues?

Greg, too funny!

dave
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #16

Arrow The CEA Nixes 1080p Video Through Analog Component Cables

HDMI has been such a can of worms for product manufacturers and custom installers that it has been very hard to believe the marketing drivel offered in advertisements. The different generations of HDMI have not wanted to talk to each other very well (if at all, in reality) and the HDCP handshake has been trouble when mixing brands. Combine those two problems and the result has been what I jokingly refer to as the Highly Doubtful Media Interface.

I am making a 'personal observation here only' and have some experience with the problems as I work in this industry. Many installers will only connect an HDMI cable in a system if forced to do so since they have been so troublesome in use. Add the desire of many to use a DVI adapter to an HDMI cable and the HDCP often refuses to work.

Component video works. Period.

HDMI, maybe.

As for 1080p in progressive component video it would depend on the display in the system as to whether a player offering that signal was better than the HDMI input offering the same signal. A mediocre display with HDMI and a digital 1080p signal could look worse than a high performance DVD player with an analog 1080p signal in a bypass input without further processing.

The most hated company in the USA last year in opinion surveys was the RIAA. Sometimes I think the MPAA would like to take their place with the way they treat end users. They treat us normal disk owners as if we are pirates, it seems to me, and they act as if we are the criminals. Think not? Have you read the FBI warning on the start of EVERY movie you buy? Are they irritating to you? They certainly are to me. Sorry to drift but so many issues are impacted with HDMI and HDCP and the lousy way they have been rolled out and implemented by the folks forcing it on this industry.

Your mileage may vary... This a personal opinion only.
GCD@CAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #17

Default Re: The CEA talks about AVREv.com story at meetings

I agree with your assement of the current state of HDMI vs. Component. Component works every time but you just don't get the last bit of video and all of the audio goodies. Intel needs to make HDCP work correctly and FAST as HDMI is going nowhere fast.

Supposeldly, the CEA at their meetings which i spoke at yesterday in San Diego, talked for an hour about our component video topic. I am not sure what conclusions they drew. I will try to find out when my people get back to their offices later this week.

j
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 980, analog, cable, cables, component, deliver, digital, obsolete, processor, projector, ps3, runco, video, xbox