Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-12-2007   #7

Default Re: The CEA Nixes 1080p Video Through Analog Component Cables

The CEA and the Hollywood studios have their collective heads so far up their collective rectums it is beyond belief. In Asia, where most illegal copying takes place--does the CEA or Hollywood think the people buying this illegal discs give a rip about whether they are 1080i, 1080p, or 720p? No they don't. They just want to watch the movie on the cheap. Haven't they learned squat from the success of low resolution MP3 or iPOD tunes? The relatively small collection of many people in these audio and video forums that want the best is so miniscule compared to the marketplace for all the software it is ridiculous.

So they waste the time, money, and good will of those that want the best and are willing to pay for it to prevent the hundreds of millions who couldn't care less about getting the absolute best. They just want to watch a movie with their fave stars at a mediocre resolution. Price is the king in poor countries, not high quality in the mostly disposable realm of recorded movies and music.

Some people never learn and are so locked into antiquated beliefs that are destructive to both them and the consumer it boggles the mind.

Greg Stern
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #8

There will always be those who don't really care, or claim not to be able to see and hear the differences between standard DVD's and HD content, or MP3's and uncompressed audio, for them they are happy just to have a picture to watch or music to mow the lawn by...

Then there are those that frequent forums like this in the quest for the best that is available!

Just like I have forsaken RF video, composite video and most recently component video for DVI or HDMI, I want this to work as reliably as the forgoing signal formats and give me the best possible image. Now that they have steered most of us in that direction, the industry at large should be working overtime to make sure all aspects of the HDMI experiance are seemless and reliable.

I now use HDMI from my HTPC, HD-DVD and Sat Receiver, all connect into my BenQ W9000 through a switcher (HDCP compliant) without any problems (they way it should be).

So far I am happy...
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #9

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that I don't want HDMI to work. I just think it is pointless for the studios to keep messing with the protocols to prevent 1080p copying as opposed to 1080i copying or 720p copying. The people or companies in Asia and elsewhere that do massive illegal copying will either crack the code or just keep selling the same mediocre copies they have been selling for years at the much cheaper prices to the millions who want these movies and can't afford the "big buck" and pristine versions.

The powers that be, from the studios to the electronic companies along with the HDMI alliance, should just focus on providing the best and most foolproof method for these cables to carry and receive the best signals they can. The copy protection protocols are undoubtedly the main reason for the majority of difficulties with HDMI. The problem is that each studio wants their own protocol and they want to continuosly change them to prevent the copying companies that want to hack them a step behind. This process always keeps the honest consumer struggling to find compatible HDMI devices--and who knows how long they will be compatible with changing protocols?

As far as I'm concerned, give me firewire with huge capacity and toss the others away. But since firewire operates seemlessly without copyright crud. I can dream--can't I?

Greg
Old 10-12-2007   #10

Default To be clear

I want to be clear about my stance on HDMI.

I am not supporting analog, non-copy protected connections for the future but with the total failure of Intel and the HDCP code so far - wouldn't it be nice if people like us who spent the money, time and effort to get into 1080p video could actually make it work.

I spent THOUSANDS of dollars trying to get my HD DVD and Blu-ray players talking to my Meridian (and Dtrovision, Geffen and other) HDMI switchers. Yes, sometimes they worked. Other times they didn't meaning I needed to pull out the rack rails and get into a 15 minute tear down sessions in my somewhat "finished" theater JUST to watch a movie. In that case, I would rather just listen to music.

In the end, I settled for 1080i component video out from my HD sources because that was the only way it works with any level of confidence.

Do I want HDMI to work? ABSOLUTELY. Will I adopt HDMI for my system when the copy protection improves? Without a question.

I use HDMI in my bedroom with 100% success on non- HDCP components like the DirecTV HR10-250 and a Sony HDMI DVD player. Note: those are both non-HDCP complaint.

The CEA and Gary Shapiro should be ALL OVER Intel to fix this nightmare. The AV business needs the simplicity of one-cable connections. Hollywood needs copy protection for 1080p video. Its a win-win if it ever works.
Old 10-12-2007   #11

I'm not supporting analog either. No music experience ever made me happier prior to HDMI than connecting the firewire from my Pioneer Elite 59TXVi receiver to my Pioneer Elite 59AVi dvd player. It flawlessly played whatever disc I put in and automatically switched to the disc format--with just one firewire cable. If HDMI ever works with the simplicity and performance of firewire I would be cheering at the top of my lungs.

Similarly, the best success I have had with HDMI is with my bedroom system where I also have a DirecTV HD receiver connected to a Pioneer Elite 49TXi receiver, a Pioneer Elite 79avi dvd player, and a Sony XBR2 40" LCD HDTV.

In my media room it was a totally different story until two months ago when I had a lightning strike fry everything in my media room except Monitor Audio GR10's (4 of them) and the GR center channel. Since the subwoofer was self-powered--it got fried too. The Panny 50" plasma fried too as did my computers and peripherals.

Now I'm getting a fat check from my insurance company and I think I'll get the new Pioneer Elite uber receiver in December and a new Pioneer Elite 60" 1080p plasma. I might be forced to get a 2nd generation Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player, figuring that I will have the least handshake problems, even with a second DirecTV HD receiver. It's a lot of money to spend for peace of mind--and I can't be totally sure I will get that peace of mind until it is all hooked up. Who knows if a new Toshiba HD dvd player will have handshake or other problems? Or if the second generation Samsung or LG HD/Blu ray players will be cooperative. At this point I'm somewhat leery of mixing too many different brands of components.

I just want an HDMI system that works semmlessly like a firewire system---but it seems like that is too much to ask currently.

Greg
Old 10-12-2007   #12

Smile Re: To be clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I want to be clear about my stance on HDMI.

I am not supporting analog, non-copy protected connections for the future but with the total failure of Intel and the HDCP code so far - wouldn't it be nice if people like us who spent the money, time and effort to get into 1080p video could actually make it work.

I spent THOUSANDS of dollars trying to get my HD DVD and Blu-ray players talking to my Meridian (and Dtrovision, Geffen and other) HDMI switchers. Yes, sometimes they worked. Other times they didn't meaning I needed to pull out the rack rails and get into a 15 minute tear down sessions in my somewhat "finished" theater JUST to watch a movie. In that case, I would rather just listen to music.

In the end, I settled for 1080i component video out from my HD sources because that was the only way it works with any level of confidence.

Do I want HDMI to work? ABSOLUTELY. Will I adopt HDMI for my system when the copy protection improves? Without a question.

I use HDMI in my bedroom with 100% success on non- HDCP components like the DirecTV HR10-250 and a Sony HDMI DVD player. Note: those are both non-HDCP complaint.

The CEA and Gary Shapiro should be ALL OVER Intel to fix this nightmare. The AV business needs the simplicity of one-cable connections. Hollywood needs copy protection for 1080p video. Its a win-win if it ever works.
Your right and correct. This whole thing really comes down to functionality and simplicity. One cable to do all the work. That makes life simpler for everybody. It definitely is a win, win.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 980, analog, cable, cables, component, deliver, digital, obsolete, processor, projector, ps3, runco, video, xbox