Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 07-19-2013   #1
chris

Default What's wrong with my system?

Hello guys,

This is my first post and I would be very appreciative if someone could give me some suggestions on this.

I bumped into this system (Kenwood K-R711 integrated CD player and amp, paired with Bose 125 speakers) in a electric shop the other day. I was very impressed as I heard the sound, which is very clear, detailed, and charming while playing pop music. The whole system costs around $800. I was absolutely sure, at that moment, that it could beat most of the other systems on the market within the same price range.

A few weeks later, I got both of them home from the internet(Integrated CD player and amp new whereas speakers second hand). Now, I have been listening to them for over 30 hours and I get nothing but disappointment, though at the very least, the system gets a pass on both clarity and detail on mid tone.

Why? Because the sound that I get doesn't sound like music. It's just like the singer is speaking instead of singing as you listen to it. It gets a bit better when you listen to something very musical, but still, the whole thing you get isnt' music, but something quite dull and plain and I have never experienced something like that . Even my cheap portable mp3 player worth less than $100 , while playing the same songs as I have been playing on the new system, can give me something that sounds like music.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these components? Which part do you think may go wrong?

Many thanks

Chris
Old 07-19-2013   #2
Administrator

Default Re: What's wrong with my system?

My guess would be the Bose speakers. Maybe try out some different speakers. The Kenwood should be fine.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #3
chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
My guess would be the Bose speakers. Maybe try out some different speakers. The Kenwood should be fine.
Thank you for reply Rbinck,

So, do you have any suggestions for speakers to pair with my Kenwood? I thought about Tannoy V1 before but haven't got the chance to it myself.

THanks

Chris
Old 07-20-2013   #4
Administrator

Those seem like a good choice. Maybe add a powered subwoofer.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #5
chris

Hello Rbinck,

Thank you for your suggestion.

While I have been trying to play around with the positions of the speakers and listen to different types of music to see if I can find out what's really wrong with my system, I discovered that it sounds much more 'correct' when I play mp3 instead of original CDs which don't have any compression. Of course, as anyone would be able to predict, it comes with less detail and the sound is a bit compressed. Yet, the sound falls into the range that most people would say it sounds 'right'.

What does it mean??? It's one of the weirdest systems I have ever owned I must admit

HELP!!!!!!!

Chris

Last edited by chris; 08-03-2013 at 01:56 AM..
Sponsored Links