Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   Italian Opera Tenor Luciano Pavarotti Dies At 71 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/648-italian-opera-tenor-luciano-pavarotti-dies-71-a.html)

AVRevForum.com 09-06-2007 02:00 PM

Italian Opera Tenor Luciano Pavarotti Dies At 71

Pavarotti died Thursday in Italy after suffering from pancreatic cancer. He was 71.

Pavarotti sold millions of records and raised millions of dollars for various charities through benefit concerts. He shared the stage with many stars, from Liza Minnelli to U2's Bono.

Pavarotti graduated from a teaching institute in 1955 and proceeded to teach elementary school and work as an insurance salesman. In 1961 he made his operatic debut as Rudolfo in "La Boheme". His fame spread from there and in 1965 his American career began. Beginning with New York's Metropolitan Opera House where he gave 379 performances to ultimate stardom in 1972 when he hit nine high C notes in an aria.

Bono released a statement about his friend...

"Some can sing opera, Luciano Pavarotti was an opera. No one could inhabit those acrobatic melodies and words like him. He lived the songs, his opera was a great mash of joy and sadness; surreal and earthy at the same time; a great volcano of a man who sang fire but spilled over with a love of life in all its complexity, a great and generous friend."

David DelGrosso 09-06-2007 05:05 PM

Re: Italian Opera Tenor Luciano Pavarotti Dies At 71

In 1993, I flew into New York to help produce a demo for a promising young R&B singer, and I was a bit overwhelmed by the enormous traffic jams throughout Midtown Manhattan.

And then he surprised me with an explanation as to why he insisted that we get together during this particular week... so that I could join him for an outdoor concert in Central Park (just a short walk from the studio.)

Needless to say, I was absolutely blown away when we entered the crowded park and found that his friends had strategically placed their blankets quite close to where Pavarotti would be standing on stage... and well in front of the other 500,000 people in attendance (which justifiably explained the outrageous traffic jams.)

What a performance...

what a VOICE...

what a crowd!

Easily one of the highlights of my life!!

DD

JerryDelColliano 09-18-2007 05:58 PM

Re: Italian Opera Tenor Luciano Pavarotti Dies At 71

I love kitchen books. Recently I read one called like "get out the kitchen" or something like that. It was a compliation of stories from famous chefs and read like a tell-all.

Michale LaMonica, former chef at 21 in NYC, told a Pavorati story about some society folks that booked a HUGE table for after the opera. Supposedl the Maistro was coming in and after hours and hours of ****tails and aps - Pavoratti finally showed up. He wanted a "little" something to eat but when it came down to eating the guy REALLY pigged out. Multiple bowls of pasta, multple deserts etc... Supposedly, he came dressed in his garb and with the makeup too. Seemed like a VERY genuine person from the way the story read.

Lots of other humbling kitchen stories in this book too. Not as good as Kitchen Confidential but in the same category. A great read by the pool while on vacation.