Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 08-26-2007   #37

Default Re: A Blueprint For the Future of High-Resolution, 5.1 Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Jero View Post
I am also developing surround music downloads from my 30 albums collection of titles but my major concern is this: How user friendly fill be lossless downloads if for instance 5 minutes wma 5.1 music clip fill have size about 35MB ? And is that a solution to sacrifice Audio quality to provide end users with lower bit-rate files? Also, are people really prepared to switch to computer systems to listen to surround music?
Try it for yourself. Try purchasing and downloading an album from either MusicGiants or Linn Records. Both of them are offering either 24bit/96Khz or 24bit/88.2Khz stereo and surround recordings. I've used their services and I don't think the wait is too bad and I don't have a screaming fast connection either. Personally, I wouldn't be too impressed with 16bit/48Khz DTS recordings when I could just buy a DVD-Audio disc in higher resolution. I also don't think you have to have AC3 and/or DTS just because it will support a digital connection to someone's A/V receiver. Many people connect their soundcard section directly to amplifiers to take advantage of the superior DAC/analog section. For them, 24bit/96Khz 5.1 WMA surround tracks are a very good option. Maybe you could simply offer several quality and format options.
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #38

Default Hi-res Discs and Downloads

[This relates to your discussion of a week or so ago; I couldn't post sooner due to a hangup in my registration process:]

Yes, Jerry, I agree that both the hi-res SACD/DVD-A format war was an idiotic move on the industry's part, and the current hi-def Blu-ray/HD DVD format war is also an absurd situation. But I'm tired of reading your uninformed words about SACD having failed and music in surround no longer being available. There have been over 4000 SACD releases internationally - does that sound like it has failed? There are plenty of titles worth investing in. Nearly all are multichannel. DVD-Audio has failed for the most part. Sure, the majority of releases are of the classical genre and that's unfortunate, but classical audiophiles who are into SSFM (Surround Sound For Music) are happy as clams. As well as those two-channel diehards with their astronomically-priced stereo-only SACD and universal players.

Your and Gerben Van Duyl's comments about desiring an iTunes equivalent for hi-res music in surround now exists! It's called MusicGiants. Check it out at MusicGiants -- Home AIX Records is also going to be offering their super-hi-res original recordings the same way. I agree that BD and HD DVD aren't the way to go for hi-res music-only albums in surround. I think we have a terrific technology in SACD and as more people are introduced to the downloading of hi-res surround selections instead of lifeless, deadened two-channel audio xeroxes of the original tracks, consumer interest in hi-res surround will expand.

--
John Sunier
Publisher/Editor
SACD Reviews, DVD Reviews, CD Reviews - Audiophile Audition
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #39

Default Re: Hi-res Discs and Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry33 View Post
I'm tired of reading your uninformed words about SACD having failed and music in surround no longer being available. There have been over 4000 SACD releases internationally - does that sound like it has failed? There are plenty of titles worth investing in. Nearly all are multichannel. DVD-Audio has failed for the most part. Sure, the majority of releases are of the classical genre and that's unfortunate, but classical audiophiles who are into SSFM (Surround Sound For Music) are happy as clams.
Hello, John... long time no see!

It's great to see that you are still very passionate about Classical Music... but I'm sure that you also clearly understand the bigger picture.

As of the latest industry totals, Classical Music represents only 2.4 % of total record sales in the US... which means that 97.6% of Americans would have a hard time agreeing that SACD is a whopping success.

Personally, I'd just like to see ALL Hi-Rez audio enthusiasts unite behind a single mantra:

We want "music only" titles on HD-DVD and Blu-ray, to augment our collection of movies and videogames. And all we're asking for, is that the best titles in every genre, be re-released with the highest resolution possible, in 2.0 (and 5.1, when feasible)... plus, the finest "extras" that you can add into each disc.

Holst/The Planets in SACD is great... but so is Jimi Hendrix/Electric Ladyland, in uncompressed 24/96 5.1 surround!

PEACE

David
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #40

Default Re: Hi-res Discs and Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post

Personally, I'd just like to see ALL Hi-Rez audio enthusiasts unite behind a single mantra:

We want "music only" titles on HD-DVD and Blu-ray, to augment our collection of movies and videogames. And all we're asking for, is that the best titles in every genre, be re-released with the highest resolution possible, in 2.0 (and 5.1, when feasible)... plus, the finest "extras" that you can add into each disc.
As the first producer who released HD DVD-Audio album I am in force to agree with you regarding capabilities of physical HD media in terms of the future for Surround Music.
The major advantage for HD DVD and Blu-ray that system for delivery of High Definition Multichannel Music is already in place. The high quality Surround Sound set-up is essential part of HD Experience and most of people who are buying HD DVD and Blu-ray players are interested in Sound Features like Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD as well as to have the music material to fully take advantage of it.
In addition in my projects I am providing listeners with High Definition Visuals in the form of slide-show to complement audio experience creating ambient visual background for surround music that many people just enjoying to be surrounded during home theater Movie event or to have non disturbing Audio-Visual environment in High Definition.
Based on my personal experience as a producer of these New Titles I see the great potential for Surround Music on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.
Alexander Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #41

Question Re: A Blueprint For the Future of High-Resolution, 5.1 Music

RE: "Holst/The Planets in SACD is great... but so is Jimi Hendrix/Electric Ladyland, in uncompressed 24/96 5.1 surround!"

David, where did you find Hendrix in 5.1 ?
wangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #42

Default Re: A Blueprint For the Future of High-Resolution, 5.1 Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdang View Post
RE: "Holst/The Planets in SACD is great... but so is Jimi Hendrix/Electric Ladyland, in uncompressed 24/96 5.1 surround!"

David, where did you find Hendrix in 5.1 ?
Sorry for the misleading comment.

Earlier in the thread, I had mentioned a strong desire to experience Jimi re-mixed into Hi-Rez 5.1, instead of only being able to buy Classical and unknown artists in these new formats.

So I was simply re-iterating my preference.

I'll certainly post a link for any such Hendrix announcements, if and when they eventually pop up.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
anti, audio, dts, electric, hendrix, high, jimi, jimmy, ladyland, music, page, ready, resolution, sales, trust