Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 08-23-2007   #31

Default Re: A Blueprint For the Future of High-Resolution, 5.1 Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Remember when the CD replaced the record? The MP3 player and MP3 files have become the CD of our time. MP3 convience and limitless songs to down load have replaced the CD and CD player. You can take music everywhere, anytime. My daughters use theirs in their cars and for sonic wall paper at home.

Maybe if we are lucky MP3 will evolve into something acceptable...
The part that frustrates me, is the relentless desire for "the media" to SPIN the facts into a pre-mature funeral procession.

For example: Music CD Sales Falling

Poynter Online - Monday Edition: Music CD Sales Falling

This story is loaded with dramatic examples of how much CD sales are suffering... including this excerpt:

The sharp slide in sales of CDs, which still account for more than 85 percent of music sold, has far eclipsed the growth in sales of digital downloads, which were supposed to have been the industry's salvation.

Huh? CDs "still account for more than 85 percent of music sold", but the format is dead??

At the risk of sounding like a "broken record" (pun intended)... I honestly believe that DIFFERENT people have DIFFERENT preferences for experiencing DIFFERENT genres of music.

Yo... recording industry... WAKE UP:

1) Trendy new music for tweenies= downloadable

2) Top 200 of all time, in each genre= CDs at $9.99

3) Best recordings ever made= Hi-Rez discs at $19.99

Personally, I like this marketing plan a lot more than the popular editorial forecasts that "everyone is soon going to be listening to music exclusively on their I-pods and earbuds."

Am I the only one that feels this way??

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #32

Great thread. Some thoughts I hope bring comments:

1. The music market boom was created by us "boomers". Yet it seems modern music delivery treats us as if we are still teenagers. I bought most music when I lived in Boston in my 20's and there were guys working in my favorite store who seemed to know very song on every disk -- and learned a lot about what I liked. Do such stores still exist? Is th music industry doomed to a life of eternal youth?

2. There is a market for new music and new artists from hi-res music lovers. Many of my recent buying decisions have been built on "producer and/orlabel confidence" -- i.e., I know that titles from AIX, Chesky, Telarc, DTS will have good multi-channel engineering, good packaging, and will make my system shine. So I sometimes buy without knowing much more than the write-up on their web-sites. Of course, I still love repackaged oldies, too -- my first multi-channel was DTS Santana Abraxas -- Wow!

3. Good liner notes are as important to me as anything on-screen.

4. My eyes are older - I wish disks came in packages the size of vinyl album covers.
wangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdang View Post
I know that titles from AIX, Chesky, Telarc, DTS will have good multi-channel engineering, good packaging, and will make my system shine. So I sometimes buy without knowing much more than the write-up on their web-sites.

Of course, I still love repackaged oldies, too -- my first multi-channel was DTS Santana Abraxas -- Wow!
That's exactly what I'm talkin' about... how great it can be to experience an "original work of art."

That particular "multi-channel" disc was created from the original Quad mix that the original artists and engineers created, back in 1970.

It was carefully transferred into a digital master, with a low-frequency crossover to the sub-woofer channel (ie. 4.1)

No 24/192 super tracks... no center channel re-mix... just an accurate replica of the musical adventure that Santana envisioned at that time... and it created a "Wow!"

I would love to have ALL of my favorite stereo and Quad "oldies" re-mastered with the best technology available today.

For $20 each, new Hi-Rez discs of these original "artistic expressions" would excite me a helluva lot more than most of the $1000 paintings hanging in the local art gallery.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #34

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned anything about the existing online music stores that offer high-resolution 2.0 and 5.1 recordings.

You can currently purchase downloads from MusicGiants and Linn Records.

Hopefully, in the near future, recordings from AIX records will be available from their iTrax.com website.

I know it's not much, but it is a start.

As far as equipment that takes advantage of high res multichannel audio playback from the PC (for audiophiles), we're working on it.

Here's a couple blog articles I wrote related to this topic some of you might be interested in reading (comments are welcome):

What is HD Audio?
HD-Audio - more comments
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned anything about the existing online music stores that offer high-resolution 2.0 and 5.1 recordings.

You can currently purchase downloads from MusicGiants and Linn Records.

Hopefully, in the near future, recordings from AIX records will be available from their iTrax.com website.

I know it's not much, but it is a start.

As far as equipment that takes advantage of high res multichannel audio playback from the PC (for audiophiles), we're working on it.

Here's a couple blog articles I wrote related to this topic some of you might be interested in reading (comments are welcome):

What is HD Audio?
HD-Audio - more comments
I am also developing surround music downloads from my 30 albums collection of titles but my major concern is this: How user friendly fill be lossless downloads if for instance 5 minutes wma 5.1 music clip fill have size about 35MB ? And is that a solution to sacrifice Audio quality to provide end users with lower bit-rate files? Also, are people really prepared to switch to computer systems to listen to surround music?
Alexander Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Jero View Post
I am also developing surround music downloads from my 30 albums collection of titles but my major concern is this: How user friendly fill be lossless downloads if for instance 5 minutes wma 5.1 music clip fill have size about 35MB ? And is that a solution to sacrifice Audio quality to provide end users with lower bit-rate files? Also, are people really prepared to switch to computer systems to listen to surround music?
See the 10+ million downloads from the Swedish Radio site in the past three years: people are willing to download large files with hi-res music, 2.0 or 5.1. Bandwidth is getting bigger all the time, nobody cares about 35Mb anymore.

I would do what Swedish Radio did: load each track in DTS 5.1 at the highest quality (1.234Mb/sec in 44.1, lossless most of the time, unless you are Mahler) as well as Dolby AC3 in say 448kb/sec for a lo-res version. You will find, as they did, that the fast majority of downloads will be the DTS versions of the tracks. I wouldn't bother with WMA as that format does not play on normal AV receivers.

Playout can be from iTunes (EQ must be OFF, internal gain must be on MAX) or any other WAV capable music library, using a Digital Out on a half decent sound card, or burn to CD. Computer in general are excellent music servers: they don't loose bits, therefore they do not degrade the audio quality. Music is made in computers, it will play just fine from any PC. This is how we played out DTS for demos all the time.

Good luck with yous surround tracks! Gerben Van Duyl
Gerben Van Duyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
anti, audio, dts, electric, hendrix, high, jimi, jimmy, ladyland, music, page, ready, resolution, sales, trust