Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/3844-i-have-given-up-dealers-does-anyone-else-feel-same.html)

Lefisc 07-28-2009 09:04 PM

I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same?
 
I have never gotten as heavily into “stereos” as a hobby because I have always found audio (and now video) salespeople difficult.

No, I love music and have worked to put together a system that sounds great. I also loved movies and never imagined that we could really get a home theatre and worked for that also, so if you see my house my first sentence may not seem accurate.

Now I realize that in my 35 years of being a consumer if I listed ten complaints all at once, it would look like I always have had trouble, rather than once every three years. But I wonder how common this is. I bought, 25 years ago, components from a Famous Company (I’ll call FC).

About 1995, when I went to a stereo show, I wanted to hear speakers to go with it. The salesman for B and W asked me what components I had and I told him the name, but I forgot the model numbers. He wouldn’t play them for me. I will never buy B and W speakers.

In 2000, I bought a DVD player and separate Surround Sound unit from a dealer I had used for a long time. The DVD never worked right, and the dealer had me do all sorts of things, but eventually would not take them back. He did allow me to trade it in. In other words, give him more money. When I had trouble with the Surround Sound Unit, he did the same sort of thing. I contacted the manufacturer and that thought they worked it out with him. He told me he would come and fix the unit if I bought $2,000 worth of other equipment. Then he wanted me to trade it all in for “new” and better equipment.

The $2,000 figure is interesting. I went to the two other stores that sell FC and the dealers basically said that they would come and fix it for $2,000 BUT both said that I also had to trade it in (not with them) and buy totally new equipment. Now I understand a “new” dealer not wanting to help without money, but I will never understand why my old place would want to see me walk away.

When I bought a new, expensive, CD player (trading in my old stuff which complicated this) it took a few months to get a new one that worked. I did it with a new dealer and soon he said that he was washing his hands of the problems and I was to deal with the manufacturer directly. When I asked for my money back, he said to ask them. I bring this up because the week I got a new one working well, the dealer called and told me that CDs were now worthless that a new “server” type thing was coming out and they cost $4,000. Yep, he said CDs were worthless.


My favorite story took place about 1991. I went to a store to buy a CD player, in the realm of $700. This store also had high end stuff, including the Wilson Audio Music monoliths which sold for $150,000. He also sold the new Krell CD players which were $5,000 and $11,000 a little out of my bracket. He didn’t want to play the Sony $700 ES unit, but wanted me to buy one of the Krell units. I asked if I could hear it on the Wilson Speakers. He said no, not unless I buy the Krell $11,000 unit. (He had the speakers on when I walked in, it’s not like he had to set them up.) he would not even play the Sony for me, I had to buy it. He then said he had no return policy for it. Never having heard the unit (or the Wilson’s) I left and bought the unit elsewhere.

To this day I call that experience: The Silence of the Wamms.

wes 08-03-2009 12:09 PM

Re: I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefisc (Post 21946)
I have never gotten as heavily into “stereos” as a hobby because I have always found audio (and now video) salespeople difficult.

No, I love music and have worked to put together a system that sounds great. I also loved movies and never imagined that we could really get a home theatre and worked for that also, so if you see my house my first sentence may not seem accurate.

Now I realize that in my 35 years of being a consumer if I listed ten complaints all at once, it would look like I always have had trouble, rather than once every three years. But I wonder how common this is. I bought, 25 years ago, components from a Famous Company (I’ll call FC).

About 1995, when I went to a stereo show, I wanted to hear speakers to go with it. The salesman for B and W asked me what components I had and I told him the name, but I forgot the model numbers. He wouldn’t play them for me. I will never buy B and W speakers.

In 2000, I bought a DVD player and separate Surround Sound unit from a dealer I had used for a long time. The DVD never worked right, and the dealer had me do all sorts of things, but eventually would not take them back. He did allow me to trade it in. In other words, give him more money. When I had trouble with the Surround Sound Unit, he did the same sort of thing. I contacted the manufacturer and that thought they worked it out with him. He told me he would come and fix the unit if I bought $2,000 worth of other equipment. Then he wanted me to trade it all in for “new” and better equipment.

The $2,000 figure is interesting. I went to the two other stores that sell FC and the dealers basically said that they would come and fix it for $2,000 BUT both said that I also had to trade it in (not with them) and buy totally new equipment. Now I understand a “new” dealer not wanting to help without money, but I will never understand why my old place would want to see me walk away.

When I bought a new, expensive, CD player (trading in my old stuff which complicated this) it took a few months to get a new one that worked. I did it with a new dealer and soon he said that he was washing his hands of the problems and I was to deal with the manufacturer directly. When I asked for my money back, he said to ask them. I bring this up because the week I got a new one working well, the dealer called and told me that CDs were now worthless that a new “server” type thing was coming out and they cost $4,000. Yep, he said CDs were worthless.


My favorite story took place about 1991. I went to a store to buy a CD player, in the realm of $700. This store also had high end stuff, including the Wilson Audio Music monoliths which sold for $150,000. He also sold the new Krell CD players which were $5,000 and $11,000 a little out of my bracket. He didn’t want to play the Sony $700 ES unit, but wanted me to buy one of the Krell units. I asked if I could hear it on the Wilson Speakers. He said no, not unless I buy the Krell $11,000 unit. (He had the speakers on when I walked in, it’s not like he had to set them up.) he would not even play the Sony for me, I had to buy it. He then said he had no return policy for it. Never having heard the unit (or the Wilson’s) I left and bought the unit elsewhere.

To this day I call that experience: The Silence of the Wamms.

That is unfortunate, my dealers have always been very accomodating and I have listen to system costing $500,000 my system is a tenth of that :)

rlpiii 08-03-2009 01:24 PM

Re: I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same?
 
That is odd. Usually, they'll play the most expensive system they have for you and try to talk you into buying something "almost just like it" once they figure out you're not spending tons of money.

I've noticed higher end car dealerships operate the way you described also.

wes 08-04-2009 07:52 AM

Re: I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 22039)
That is odd. Usually, they'll play the most expensive system they have for you and try to talk you into buying something "almost just like it" once they figure out you're not spending tons of money.

I've noticed higher end car dealerships operate the way you described also.

Yes exactly I call it the real-estate sale let me show you million dollars homes and then show you what you can afford sleaze bags

Lefisc 08-04-2009 08:53 AM

Re: I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same?
 
I had enjoyed products from “Famous Maker” for 25 years and for all of that time used one dealer. He dropped that product line and, within a few years, so did the four other dealers in my state. I called the company to ask where the closest dealer was. It took them two months to respond.

During this time, I went WAY out of state to a dealer that my brother uses. I bought a surround sound unit and CD player. It wasn’t a bad situation but not convenient. Then the manufacturer finally called and finally gave me a reasonably close dealer, who was out of state. (I told them that I wished they had gotten back to me sooner, I bought the two units elsewhere. It was not a issue for them.

From the new dealer, I bought three speakers, wiring and a DVD player costing nearly $30,000. He was excellent, responsive, gave good service and I was more that satisfied. He was going to be my dealer.

When the new dealer discovered that I had bought the other units for another dealer, he first ignored my phone calls. I had called to buy a TV set. Finally, he got on the phone and yelled at me! He was nasty and told me he was telling the manufacturer, implying, I believe, that he could void my warranty. He wanted to punish me, forgetting about the $30,000 I just gave him in the middle of a recession.*

I have been waiting for an apology, but I don’t expect one. Meanwhile, my brother and I have bought a TV, two blue ray players, and a sacd player, brands he carried, but not from him.


*Two items:
In some ways this was not his fault, so had he tried to "make up" I would have forgotten about it. Had Famous Maker called and set things up two months earlier there might have been a different outcome. The new dealer didn’t originally know that part, that I had agreed to buy these units from another dealer before I even knew the new guy existed. The other thing, quite frankly, is price shopping.

Exclusive dealers don’t like the idea that this is America and you can shop for price. The distant dealer gave me a lot more for my trade ins and made it to my economic advantage to stick with him. Neither gave me a great deal in the retail price, one just gave me a much better trade in.

wes 08-04-2009 03:00 PM

Re: I have given up on dealers. Does anyone else feel the same?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefisc (Post 22054)
Exclusive dealers don’t like the idea that this is America and you can shop for price. The distant dealer gave me a lot more for my trade ins and made it to my economic advantage to stick with him. Neither gave me a great deal in the retail price, one just gave me a much better trade in.


I can not agree more these Dealers think they have a monopoly, which is why like you I don't mind driving several hours to save thousands of dollars :) The dealers that dont get it will continue loosing customers, now if only we could deregulate health care and be able to shop across state lines we would not need nationalized health care :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM.


© 1996-2008 AVRev.com | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1