Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   New Blu-ray and HD DVD Players This Holiday Season (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/376-new-blu-ray-hd-dvd-players-holiday-season.html)

AVRevForum.com 08-02-2007 06:58 PM

New Blu-ray and HD DVD Players This Holiday Season

This coming holiday season consumers will see a host of “next generation” high-definition players hitting the market – in both the HD DVD and Blu-ray format.

For the Blu-ray camp, Denon has recently announced their intention to release the first high-end Blu-ray player. The Denon DVD-3800BDCI is scheduled for release this fall carrying a price tag of $1,999. This will also be the first Blu-ray player to feature the powerful Silicon Optix’s 10-bit Realta HQV video processor, as seen in the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player. The player will also feature HDMI v1.3 output allowing for enough bandwidth to pass the new high-resolution audio formats from DTS and Dolby to an HDMI 1.3 equipped receiver for decoding.

Samsung has also announced the release of their third generation models. The BD-P1400 will hit store shelves in September and will feature HDMI v1.3 and onboard Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio decoding. Retail price of the BD-P1400 is listed at $549. Following in October, Samsung will release the next third generation player, the BD-P2400. This player will be slightly more expensive at $599, and feature a better video processor called the HQV.

On the HD DVD front, Toshiba is rumored to be releasing their line of third generation players beginning this October. While the official announcement will most likely come at the CEDIA tradeshow in early September, Amazon.com gave consumers an early glimpse of these players on its pages but the links have since been removed and all preorders cancelled. The third generation lineup of Toshiba players reportedly will consist of the HD-A3, HD-A30, and HD-A35, at prices of $299, $399 and $499, respectively.

While Blu-ray seems to have the edge on the movie titles being released, HD DVD seems to have more reasonably priced players hitting the market thus leaving the HD format war at a dead heat. People predicting a winner are easily six to twelve months too early. Early adopters are buying players and the studio and electronics companies alike are working out the plentiful bugs in the players and their hard-to-live-with copy protection scheme.

Sources: Engadget, Twice, High-Def Digest

djmcd 08-03-2007 07:54 AM

Re: New Blu-ray and HD DVD Players This Holiday Season

I think I will wait until the Christmas season for a player. I only wish I knew what format to go with… blu-ray or hd-dvd? I have been watching this technology intensely since I had seen the blu-ray prototypes online, what, 4 or 5 years ago and I’m still uncertain. It looks like Blu-ray is ahead by a few points, but, this opinion is only based on what I have read on the Internet (with a grain of salt). Do you think that there will be a winner, or will one snuff the other out and vice versa as with hd audio… or, will there be a third player to come in at the 12th hour and render both formats obsolete? Anyway, can anyone recommend to me, based on first hand experience, which format I should go with in December?
Thanks.

kennyt 08-03-2007 08:27 AM

djmcd,

I can see waiting until Xmas, but you COULD have a player for ~$300 now, and enjoy renting movies from Netflix, so no software cost. As for which will win?? I can't say, nor can anyone else for that matter, and yes, you could be right, before the war is over, they both could be outdated by something newer. I for one suspect we have several years before that will happen, if it does, and in the meantime, I have stellar HD picture and sound!

chipmonkmrl 08-03-2007 05:51 PM

London calling! I have Toshiba HD XE1 (european version of XA2) which is much better than my original A1 from the States... software update needed, it barely plays! I also have sony PS3 (UK version).... recently replaced my 50" Pioneer 506 XDE (separate media tuner box) with latest LG 60PF95, a full HD model 1080p/50/60/24 rates..... There is little to choose between Blu-Ray and HD DVD.... they both perform equally well (UK, we have not received OUR 24 frame output 1080p upgrade yet...you guys over the pond have had it!) The reality is that they are both capable of stunning results, especially if you calibrate your panel correctly... use of Kane test disc is helpful, and a revelation). Also, the quality of all discs is at the mercy of the indivual studio, and just how good or bad a job they have done with the source material. Early BD discs in MPEG2 looked pretty awful on both sides of the Pond, but releases from Fox and affiliated companies released using AV1/MPEG 4 look stunning.... " days ago I purchaed "The Patriot", and that was truly amazing..... Mind you, I went back and took a fresh look at early HD DVD releases in my collection (110 HD DVD/30 BD) and I was suprised that "Training Day" which looked very soft on my original Toshiba A1 player, now looked stunning on my 60" full1080p LG panel played via the XE1 (U.S. XA2) which proves Toshiba were right to use MPEG4 format from the start. I tend on principal to support HD DVD, primarily because they gave it to us first WITH the full support of the DVD Forum, and also laid down minimum standards to which all discs and players must conform. Sony came along and in effect caused a major problem when they had the chance to pull together as one.... Result? stores worldwide have the problem of SELLING 2 formats to general public.... Sony STILL have not finalized the full "real-deal" standard for the BD format (Sept/Oct before that happens).... and all those who trusted Sony may end up with their fingers burned with non functionality anytime soon! Therefore, I personally will stick with PS3 until it all settles.... only reason for buying it was to have the possibility of seeing the films that won't yet make it onto Hd DVD.... In Europe, BD and PS£ for that matter, has not been the decisive blow that Sony would have liked... thanks in part to Microsoft's support with the X360 (gamers,which alas is not me!... and industry-insiders tell me Sony is out of touch with reality and,in Europe, on price..... Which leads me to point.... with all my experience,expertise and knowledge, I cannot even predict what will transpire in 12 months time...... consumers are left in limbo, and only dedicated fans like us are left to buy into BOTH formats..... a needless waste, because Joe Public ain't gonna be doin' that, folks, with their hard-earned cash...

Time will tell, 1440p formats being developed now, and on it rolls! upshot is I HAVE MY DREAM NOW... and Boy am I loving it... for 15 years now I have wanted this standard that is here now.... Can't wait for Blade Runner (Final Cut) and A clokwork Orange (first time anamorphic).... wish Warners would roll'em out quicker!!! Good night from London,folks .... Oh yeah! I AM actually American by birth and citizenship,but speak with a pure British accent! I've been here since the of almost 3!!!)

kennyt 08-03-2007 05:56 PM

chipmonkmrl

Clockwork Orange in high def!!!

'..... oh yes, I was(am) cured...'

Can't wait for that one!!!

Ken

deacongreg 08-03-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipmonkmrl (Post 1595)
London calling! I have Toshiba HD XE1 (european version of XA2) which is much better than my original A1 from the States... software update needed, it barely plays! I also have sony PS3 (UK version).... recently replaced my 50" Pioneer 506 XDE (separate media tuner box) with latest LG 60PF95, a full HD model 1080p/50/60/24 rates..... There is little to choose between Blu-Ray and HD DVD.... they both perform equally well (UK, we have not received OUR 24 frame output 1080p upgrade yet...you guys over the pond have had it!) The reality is that they are both capable of stunning results, especially if you calibrate your panel correctly... use of Kane test disc is helpful, and a revelation). Also, the quality of all discs is at the mercy of the indivual studio, and just how good or bad a job they have done with the source material. Early BD discs in MPEG2 looked pretty awful on both sides of the Pond, but releases from Fox and affiliated companies released using AV1/MPEG 4 look stunning.... " days ago I purchaed "The Patriot", and that was truly amazing..... Mind you, I went back and took a fresh look at early HD DVD releases in my collection (110 HD DVD/30 BD) and I was suprised that "Training Day" which looked very soft on my original Toshiba A1 player, now looked stunning on my 60" full1080p LG panel played via the XE1 (U.S. XA2) which proves Toshiba were right to use MPEG4 format from the start. I tend on principal to support HD DVD, primarily because they gave it to us first WITH the full support of the DVD Forum, and also laid down minimum standards to which all discs and players must conform. Sony came along and in effect caused a major problem when they had the chance to pull together as one.... Result? stores worldwide have the problem of SELLING 2 formats to general public.... Sony STILL have not finalized the full "real-deal" standard for the BD format (Sept/Oct before that happens).... and all those who trusted Sony may end up with their fingers burned with non functionality anytime soon! Therefore, I personally will stick with PS3 until it all settles.... only reason for buying it was to have the possibility of seeing the films that won't yet make it onto Hd DVD.... In Europe, BD and PS£ for that matter, has not been the decisive blow that Sony would have liked... thanks in part to Microsoft's support with the X360 (gamers,which alas is not me!... and industry-insiders tell me Sony is out of touch with reality and,in Europe, on price..... Which leads me to point.... with all my experience,expertise and knowledge, I cannot even predict what will transpire in 12 months time...... consumers are left in limbo, and only dedicated fans like us are left to buy into BOTH formats..... a needless waste, because Joe Public ain't gonna be doin' that, folks, with their hard-earned cash...

Time will tell, 1440p formats being developed now, and on it rolls! upshot is I HAVE MY DREAM NOW... and Boy am I loving it... for 15 years now I have wanted this standard that is here now.... Can't wait for Blade Runner (Final Cut) and A clokwork Orange (first time anamorphic).... wish Warners would roll'em out quicker!!! Good night from London,folks .... Oh yeah! I AM actually American by birth and citizenship,but speak with a pure British accent! I've been here since the of almost 3!!!)

See, this young man understands everything I have been saying. This war is truly an unnecessary evil. This could be a win win for everyone concerned, including Joe Public, but..................

Amd my main man, Dr. Ken(kennyt) with all those players. You are definitely sir, a blessed exception to the rule!!