Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 07-27-2007   #31

Talking Re: Why HD DVD and Blu-ray Need You To Be an Early Adopter Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I am/was an early adopter of Quad, Beta, DVD-A and SACD, DVI, etc... I've only been into the HT thing since 2004 and already I've seen S-video replaced by component. Component replaced by DVI. DVI replaced by HDMI 1.0 and then HDMI 1.3. I've seen surround encoding go from 5.1 to 6.1 and 7.1. There's talk of 10.1. Dolby and DTS have new formats about to be unleashed. There has been more upheaval in A/V in the last 4 years than in the previous 50 years! I'm done! Wake me when the dust settles and sanity is restored to the A/v industry. For now, I am on the side lines.

In 1976 I purchased a mid-fi stereo receiver which served me well for over 20 years. In 2004 I purchased an A/V receiver that was obsolete within a year! I've been through 4 DVD players since 2004 at prices averaging $1100.00. I'm not touching HD players until one format is standardized.

What are we going to do when 4800 X ???? pixel screens come in to play? The industry got us by cojones that's for sure !
But guess what I'll be one of the first suckers saving for one of these marvels.

I am that lab rat getting shoock any chance it gets!

Hey where's the spell check on this thing??

From the top of the food chain

Your

Boy Revko1
Revko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #32

Smile Re: Why HD DVD and Blu-ray Need You To Be an Early Adopter Now

I did my own test. I got the HD-DVD player for the XBOX 360 and have watched many HD movies renting them all through netflix. I then rented the PS3 from rent-a-center so I could watch Blue-Ray DVD's. I have to say other than the very small differences on just some not all movies with the menus the picture and sound quality are the exact same. Both formats play the same so why the war?

The way I see it is why invest in something like a $500.00 player and spend $25.00 to $40.00 on a HD DVD when either player or disc format could go out at any time. Remember DVD and Divix those who invested in Divix had no resale value to claim when DVD won the war. As I see it I could be out $200.00 for the HD DVD drive I purchased but atleast I won't own all the HD DVD's since I rent them all and that I can live with.

Play it smart and rent until we have a winner! Go for the cheaper system or rent them both from a rent-a-center near you before you make your purchase!

Cheers!

1 Shot Studiios
1shotstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #33

Default Re: Why HD DVD and Blu-ray Need You To Be an Early Adopter Now

1shotstudios,

I too rent many of my HD DVD's and Blu-rays, but if you buy them on line (I use Amazon) they are significantly cheaper. Case in point, Amazon will give you 10% all high def disc purchases for a year after you buy three at regular price. This means my last Blu-ray cost me $17.95 delivered to my house in two days. Not bad, about the price of a SD DVD in stores. That said I own some 40 high def discs now, and just got my 5 HD DVD's from the new offer (which BTW one or two where the ones I asked for!) and have five more Blu-rays coming from the Blu-ray offer going on now.

Glad you took the plunge! Enjoy you new HD DVD player, and don't forget Netflix rents both formats!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #34

Exclamation Re: Why HD DVD and Blu-ray Need You To Be an Early Adopter Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Glad you took the plunge! Enjoy you new HD DVD player, and don't forget Netflix rents both formats!
Blockbuster rents both formats also by mail. Approximately 271-280 discs in each format (index shows 28 pages for each format, 10 titles per page, except the last which may have 1-10, which is how I got that number).

I know some people are upset because Blockbuster has given up on HD DVD, at least for now, in the stores ONLY (HD DVD rental still available via mail), but be honest about the renting options. Don't make it sound like Netflix is the only game in town if you want to rent HD DVD.
mcraghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #35

Default Re: Why HD DVD and Blu-ray Need You To Be an Early Adopter Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraghead View Post
Blockbuster rents both formats also by mail. Approximately 271-280 discs in each format (index shows 28 pages for each format, 10 titles per page, except the last which may have 1-10, which is how I got that number).

I know some people are upset because Blockbuster has given up on HD DVD, at least for now, in the stores ONLY (HD DVD rental still available via mail), but be honest about the renting options. Don't make it sound like Netflix is the only game in town if you want to rent HD DVD.
Because of the attitude BB is showing via it's stores I personally do not want to rent anything from them on line. I would like for them to see that we are going to Netflix because they are format neutral.
whatchel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #36

Wink Re: Why HD DVD and Blu-ray Need You To Be an Early Adopter Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatchel1 View Post
Because of the attitude BB is showing via it's stores I personally do not want to rent anything from them on line. I would like for them to see that we are going to Netflix because they are format neutral.
Format neutral?? WOW!! That is the most PC thing I've seen in a while!

I use Netflix because I can't stand BB, after having a membership for 6 years at a local store, I had a manager refuse to rent me a DVD saying I didn't have an account. When I explained that I had in fact been renting DVD's for 6 years from this store, she told me I had not and I had no membership then told me to leave the store.... I did, and I haven't been back, that was two years ago! Plus I have had Netflix for so long I still get four movies @ a time for the same price as the 3 membership. Add that to all the 'lost' DVD's I report and I can have six films at any given time. Between that and what I own, I always have something to watch!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
101, dolby