Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 07-08-2007   #25

Smile Re: Is Warner’s Hybrid “Total HD” Disc Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
You need a full resolution set to see all that 1080p has to offer. Those are mostly found on 50 inch and larger sets.

The fact remains however that if you put 1080p into a smaller set the image still looks better than 1080i or 720p.
LOL! You used far fewer words and said that much better than I did....
LindaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #26

Default Re: Is Warner’s Hybrid “Total HD” Disc Dead?

Hahahaha,

60 GB, PS3 is now 499.99 at EBgames. Buy one now and receive 5 free Blu-ray movies. The heat is on. This is a real format war. HD-dvd, the ball is in your court. What will you do next?
sdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #27

You are caught in the "must have the best" paradigm, which is stupid. 1080p and 1080 i are the same, and they are probably both better than your eye can resolve. One you have reached the limit of the human body, there is no reason to go farther.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
You are caught in the "must have the best" paradigm, which is stupid. 1080p and 1080 i are the same, and they are probably both better than your eye can resolve. One you have reached the limit of the human body, there is no reason to go farther.
Amplifiers have considerably wider bandwidth than humans can hear and more is always better. hi def broadcast movies on the 1080P are beyond anything I've ever had. So sharp it's mesmerizing.

The reason I have one TODAY is I dared the salesman to sell me because I was going to wait a year for 1080P prices to fall. Then he offered me the 1080P at a 720P price so it was very simple. I didn't have to wait.

If you're going to pony up the same money get the best you can get. It would defy logic to do any less.
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #29

Quote:
This is false-hood. If your firend stands next to your 1080i TV can you see more detail in his/her face than in the face of the news-caster shot in HD on the screen? Do the strands of hair look more "real" on your friend than they do in the TV screen image?

Yes.

Your eye can see much more detail than 1080i/p. Thinking this isn't the case is as silly as suggesting that the human eye can't see the difference between a 300 and 1200 dpi printer. We shouldn't have to wrestle with psychological issues of "the upgrade bug" to merely have an accurate discussion about what the human eye can plainly resolve for anyone with normal vision.

Having said that, one does reach a point of diminishing returns given the inherent resolution of the source material being delivered (like a 1980's flat-shot film on grainy film-stock) *and* the limits of the display chain in a consumer's living room (ie, sitting 3 screen widths away from an HDTV won't reveal all the detail that's actually in the 1080 picture), but those are separate issues to the primary question.

Also, there is an enourmous difference between 1080i (live shot interlaced) and 1080p (live-shot frame). Just as there's a difference between 480i NTSC video and 480p progressive-scan video. Do a bit of research into interlacing and deinterlacing algorithms if you're curious.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 07-13-2007 at 07:08 AM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #30

I hate format wars!!! It's bad for the consumer and bad for the get rich big companies. More choices and competition is always good for the consumer however. I just invested in the Sony PS3 so I can enjoy more HD "TODAY". I also just purchased the 70" Sony SXRD tv. But, what worries me is it seems that Sony is losing money on the PS3 ($499, free controller, 5 free BR movies) to get more players in the market and then recoup. the money on the software by keeping prices high. They will have bragging rights of more players and titles sold. Also, although I am a Sony electronics lover, they are known for copy protection and holding all the control over your media, and BlueRay recorders will definately be limited in resolution. Do we want Sony to win this war???
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dead, disc, discs, formats, hd, total