Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 07-07-2007   #19

Smile Re: Is Warner’s Hybrid “Total HD” Disc Dead?

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated. I have a feeling I will be adding the Samsung to my system in the very near future.

Tomorrows project is getting the new SlingBox with HD support set up

Linda

Last edited by LindaE; 07-07-2007 at 05:50 PM..
LindaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #20

Default Re: Is Warner’s Hybrid “Total HD” Disc Dead?

Good luck and happy listening!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #21

I have recently purchased a Toshiba HD-A20, Sony BDP-S300 and Sony VPL-VW50 projector. The upgrade to the Sony projector was needed to get HDMI and full 1080P capability from a display aspect, which I spent a good amount of effort researching.

Purchasing the Toshiba HD-DVD player and Sony player, however, was a bit of a different story. I purchased the HD-DVD and Blu-ray to just "dabble" into the new formats. There is no question that this is the starting point, and things are only going to improve and get less expensive. I'm positive I will be upgrading when things get "settled".

There is no question that either of these formats is far superior to standard DVD. I was really surprised, however, that both of these players were better at scaling standard DVDs than my current player.

I was really miffed over the SACD/DVD Audio mess. I swore to not get into the HD disc market untill a winner emerged, but I just could stand waiting any more and dove in.

One thing that I don't think anyone has mention is the amount of upgrading needed for current home theater owners. There is the HDMI connection, need for and HDMI switching receiver, 1080P resolution, new sound formats, which existing receivers cannot decode. It is a big investment.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob View Post
... you really don't get the benefit of Blu-ray/1080p on screens less than 50".
Um, not true.

40" Samsung 1080P rocks! The ABC network HD movies like Finding Nemo and tonight's Monster's Inc absolutely stun. When the wife repeats it over and over you can believe it.
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #23

Actually it is true. To get the full benefit of Blu-ray and 1080P you do need a screen that is 50 inchs or larger. However since a 50 inch television simply would not fit in the space where I wanted the TV, I found myself with two choices, purchase a 46 inch or buy a new place to live. A new home wasn't in the budget, so I went with the 46" screen and and like timbre4, I find HD the picture on my new Samsung 1080p HDTV is exceptional.

While a screen of 50 inches or larger is optimal for Blu-ray and 1080P, those who don't have the space or find a 50 inch screens out of there price range can still enjoy an excellent picture on a smaller screen and can still enjoy owning and watching films in Blue Ray or HD.

LindaE

Last edited by LindaE; 07-08-2007 at 11:03 PM..
LindaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #24

You need a full resolution set to see all that 1080p has to offer. Those are mostly found on 50 inch and larger sets.

The fact remains however that if you put 1080p into a smaller set the image still looks better than 1080i or 720p.
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dead, disc, discs, formats, hd, total