Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 06-29-2007   #1

Default iPhone, or iPhoney?

Well, today is the day. If Steve Jobs had his way June 29th would become a national holiday for all. It would have to be, how else are hard working people supposed to wait in line until 6pm to get their hands on his latest "revolutionary" device? But it's just a phone. Similar to the cell phones every American seems to have surgically attached to their ears for 23 hours a day. Or is it? Early reports, including a demo on the Today Show proved that the iPhone may be everything but a phone as the hosts failed to make a single call or receive one, even when the caller was standing just inches away.

Now I know AVRev isn't in the business of talking about phones, and I must state that I have not used an iPhone, but there are an awful lot of red flags, especially given Apple's past attempts at breaking into the cell phone market, that makes the iPhone seem like just another over hyped toy with a half eaten Apple on the back.

I work in Hollywood and people are taking the day off work to try and acquire an iPhone, much like they did when PS3 launched last Christmas. First off, waiting in line for anything electronic based is absurd. Second, despite all the hype and mile long lines to get a PS3 I was able to acquire not one, but two PS3's the day after launch at my local Best Buy. No waiting, no crazy lines out in the cold and I suspect the iPhone to be no different. Go online and you can buy an iPhone stress free and get it over nighted to you.

Beyond the "need it now" hype, the iPhone just doesn't look all that great to me. Like Apple's own AppleTV (formerly iTV) on paper the iPhone has all the features to make you go gaga but in practice (and there have been several well written user reports both good and bad) it appears to be, well, rather flawed. For starters you better like AT&T for they have the exclusive carrier rights to the iPhone for the next few years. Keep in mind AT&T's service hovers around dead last in terms of coverage. If you're fortunate enough to be in an AT&T zone then the iPhone may be worth it, but step outside the lines and you'll find your precious iPhone may be outdone by a carrier pigeon.

Beyond the service it seems the phone aspect of the iPhone may be the biggest misnomer. From standby it takes between five and six steps to make a simple phone call. For instance, you first have to wake the phone up, then unlock the keyboard, scroll through the nav bar to select the phone program, open the phone program, select key pad and then dial. WTF!? Why, and I'm speaking about all cell phones now, can the damn things just make a friggin call? Isn't that why we buy them? If you do "use" the phone you're going to get that pretty little touch screen dirty for the iPhone has no hard buttons of any kind. Anyone who has used touch screen technology before can attest to its aches and pains in daily livability once the cool factor has worn off. Fingerprints be damned, I for one can't wait to watch my iTunes downloaded copy of Finding Nemo on the iPhone's miniscule screen. Hey with all the greasy fingerprints the movie might actually appear to be underwater.

The iPhone has a built in camera, it's not the greatest but it's there. However, you can't send your wonderful photos to other people via the iPhone. Also, there is no video support via the internal camera on the iPhone. My old Nokia phone, which was free with the service plan, had a better camera with video capabilities and I could beam that content to anyone with a modern cell phone. Did I mention it was free?

Speaking of beaming and or receiving content, the iPhone seems surprisingly limited. Since the iPhone is basically a video iPod that happens to make calls it would make sense that you would be able to download iTunes content directly to your iPhone. Nope. While their are rumors that this option is coming, once again, out of the box Apple fails to deliver. I'm really confused by Apple and iTunes lately. If iTunes is, in fact, the music service of choice for millions of people and makes Apple a TON of money why do they make it so hard to get to it via any other device other than a computer? AppleTV and iPhone are just the latest devices to tout iTunes capabilities yet can not directly download content on their own even in the face of an active internet or Wi-Fi connection.

I feel I could go on and on about the iPhone but I won't, it's to easy. I'm sure I'm nitpicking and there are going to be aspects that are great and given time it will probably all work out. Hell, maybe by version 2.0 (which people are already talking about) it will be the phone to end all phones. I'm more frustrated these days, not with the iPhone, but with Apple as a whole. They have the resources, the talent, the money, everything. Apple really can unleash and just crush the competition, they could make a phone that was flawless, worked on the moon, download songs straight from the artists' mouths and still pick up the kids and walk the dog, but they don't. It seems all their products lately are just variations on the same old thing, or worse variations of what PC users have been enjoying for a while now. Are they simply resting on their design laurels? Why don't they unleash the fury? This is what I can not stand most of all. Honestly, it doesn't matter if Apple makes a phone or a ball point pen, my gripes would most likely be the same, for Apple is supposed to be different and not just in look.

Think about this. If Apple was truly "different" they wouldn't make a phone at all. They'd pioneer some new way to talk to someone. Apple wasn't content with making another walkman so they made the iPod. That was different. Stop repackaging your iPod already. Perhaps it's time for Apple to embrace a new creed. It seems "Thinking Different" isn't the problem for Apple, so much as "Being Different" seems to be.

Long time Mac user and loyalist,

Andrew Robinson

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com

Last edited by Robinson_A; 06-29-2007 at 11:01 AM..
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #2

Default Re: iPhone, or iPhoney?

This just in from EGadget re: iPhone

-The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!

-There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake.

-No A2DP support. That, friends, is such a huge bummer right there.

-Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.

-On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice.

-It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how.

-Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).

-Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that.

-It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?

-Oh, and no MMS. And sorry, no voice dialing, either.

-Contact groups can't be emailed as contact lists.

-Apple sez between 300-400 charges the iPhone will lose battery capacity -- you'll send it in and get the cell replaced for a fee. Meh. We knew this would be the case, but still, meh.

-Apple can (and supposedly will) be rolling out periodic updates -- no surprise there.

-Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies.

-As we suspected, users are prompted with lists of WiFi networks if you're not nearby a trusted hotspot. We've seen this on other phones, and we're afraid this would get friggin annoying.

-It's said to be very scratch resistant. The facade both front and rear apparently just doesn't pick up marring like regular iPods do.

-Voice quality is said to be good -- not great.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Old 06-29-2007   #3

On the way back from a trip up to Seattle to see Definitive Audio's home theater event I saw 80 people sitting outside of an AT&T store waiting for 6PM when they could get one of these soughtafter phones.

Personally, as a co-Apple-loyalist, I can't get one of these phones as they ONLY work with AT&T. I live in an area where for 10 minutes up and or down my canyon ONLY Sprint works and Sprint has the WORST phones.

I have also heard that the Apple phone isn't exacty SMOKIN fast when it comes to downloading websites. Reportedly, a simple Yahoo.com page can take 2 minutes to load.

I also won't lie and say the TV commercials aren't tempting.

j
Old 07-03-2007   #4

Jerry/Andrew,

Uh Huh, What`s next!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #5

What's next? I hear Apple is cooking up a finger nail clipper, the iClip, that will cost $199.00 and be avalible in a four clip or eight clip version. Once you exceed your clip quota you'll have to return the iClip to Apple or an Apple store for a "recharge" provided you purchase the service plan for $49.00. But no matter, I hear you can only clip your nails within sight of a Mac store anyway. Although, there are quite a few neat features, mainly the iClip will play iTunes music and can change tracks with each clip. However, you will not be able to import or export any new music via the iClip for it has no useable ports to do so. The iClip comes with a complete library of New Kids on the Block music DRM free for your enjoyment. The iClip also comes with a slightly watered down version of OSX inbedded inside the main shaft, and takes up two clips of your four or eight clip quota to do so. While I'm still awaiting official word at this time, it appears the imbedded OS does absolutely nothing. You can get the iClip in a variety of colors with matching straps for those of you clipping on the go. Oh, and all of your clipping with iClip is done via touch screen with an image of a virtual pair of 'old fashioned' finger nail clippers, how retro. Initial reports state that the iClip's touch screen can only be used with your pinky finger to avoid mishaps or possible mishapen finger or toe nails. At the time of this release Apple has already announced they will be upgrading the iClip later this year with a ten clip version retailing for $299.00.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Old 07-03-2007   #6

When is the release of the iClip?? I have a nail thing and am willing to wait on line in ****ty weather for a week or more to be the first one to buy one of the over 500,000 sold on opening weekend. Maybe I could buy one for several times the retail price on eBay and pay a huge sum for FedEx shipping too????

Can't wait!!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
ebaycom, iphone, iphoney, keyboard, pc, unlock