Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 06-20-2008   #1

Default NHK Shows Off 8K Display - Leaves 1080p Detail in the Dust

At CommunicASIA this year, NHK stunned viewers with an early preview of the 8K display. The projection system is a 32 megapixel viewing experience, using a pair of LCoS projectors. The display meaured 7,680 x 4,320 pixels at 8,000 lumens on a screen that measured 21 feet by 12 feet. The images displayed were recorded using a prototype 8K camera. Look for further demonstrations this September.

This display yields 16 times more detail than any display on the market. Any if that isn't enough, the auditorium display was bundled with a tri-level 22.2 sound system. Put this puppy on your Christmas list.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #2

Default Re: NHK Shows Off 8K Display - Leaves 1080p Detail in the Dust

I wonder when the video side of this hobby will calm down!

We just got 1080p settled, and are still sorting out the new codecs for Blu-ray, now they start pumping higher res video......

Damn even I'll never be current!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post

We just got 1080p settled, and are still sorting out the new codecs for Blu-ray, now they start pumping higher res video......

Agreed. Its getting ridiculous. Starting to remind me of computers.
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #4

Talking Re: NHK Shows Off 8K Display - Leaves 1080p Detail in the Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
Well, actually, this is the same resolution used to transfer 70mm and IMAX to digital for archiving and then down resolution converted for 4k and 2k theatrical presentation.

The screen size they state and the claimed resolution are visibly superior to 4k and 2k on the same screen, and, in fact, I would boldly hope for a 16k or even 32k display of the future which would rival reality in detail and three dimensionality.

My only qualm is that they need to make it brighter than 8,000 ANSI Lumens for that size screen; more like 18,000 ANSI - then it would have a greater similarity to real life, and isn't that the point?

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #5

Talking Re: NHK Shows Off 8K Display - Leaves 1080p Detail in the Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post

Never. The electronic industry started this right after WWII. It was then just mono HIFI and then went stereo, then video TV started about the same time. Now we have combined the two and is unlikely that it will ever stop. Back when I was much younger we called it the dreaded stereo upgrade monster. Now it is the A/V upgrade monster.
whatchel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
It is computers.
whatchel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 8k, audio, bravia, cable, calibration, camera, hdr, kdl40s130, md, md11, nhk, resolution, sony, video