Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 06-22-2007   #7

Default Re: Blockbuster To Push Blu-ray Starting This July

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnemesh View Post
Blockbuster has done this before...remember Betamax? So, how should they explain about "The Matrix"? Well, they should start by letting people know that the Matrix will be available this fall in Blu-Ray for starters! The only delay for the BD version was the ability to do picture in picture (using Java) and at a guess BD+ copy protection was probably holding up a few releases as well.

To the customers that bought the nice $300 HD-DVD player and are now upset that Blockbuster is not carrying their preferred format? Sorry Charlie! I hate to say it, but in every war, there is a winner and there is a loser. Mr. customer, I am sorry you have an expensive paperweight, but you knew that this might happen when you bought this player...deal with it!

I have been reading the "spin" in every press release since the start of this mess, and here is what I have found.

Blu-Ray group: "we sell more discs and have more players capable of reading and playing back Blu-Ray discs on the market. We have more studio support, and 15 of the top 20 movies of last year will be on Blu-Ray disc this year."

HD-DVD group: "the PS3 doesnt count! No really, it doesnt! Look at how many stand alone players we have sold. No, really, look! Dont believe the other group, we REALLY know what the customer wants! Never mind that we only have ONE major studio exclusively in our camp...we have a better format guys, really!"

If it sounds like I am biased, I am! I have stayed carefully neutral through 2 YEARS of this junk, telling my customers to wait and see. Finally, I can see the endgame in progress. Checkmate is just a couple moves away.

Guys, the writing is on the wall...if ANYONE doubts what I am saying, just go through the archives, look up all press releases from BOTH camps over the past 6 months, and you tell me. (let the flaming begin!)
I doubt what you are saying.
CrappyGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #8
FiguredMaple

I am not a fan of either format, yet. I am just looking forward to the time when one format prevails so that I can finally buy a player, and start my collection all over again.

Above all, we want a player that is reliable, fast, and delivers the full potential of the disc for the best audio and video.

* I am all for Blu-ray, but am weary about how fragile the discs are compared to HD-DVD, and how durable the protective coating that Blu-ray needs will hold up.

* Some Blu-ray discs have poor quality transfers. For example, the Fifth Element is scheduled for a re-release. Blu-ray should be dedicated to putting out the best possible product at all times, there is no excuse for poor quality releases, especially when their competition can put out consistently great picture and sound quality. My greatest concern is that Blu-ray gets their quality control up to a consistently high level (which HD-DVD currently is able to produce) and is able to release what the consumers want and expect, the best possible sound and picture, this is particularly important after they win the format war.

It will be very disappointing if consumers have to wait for reviews of discs to see how good the transfers are before they purchase them, as we did with DVD.

Blockbuster will continue to rent HD-DVD through their online store.

When Blu-ray wins, I wonder what they will do to the prices of players; possibly inflate them by releasing new models? I think it will be quite a while for the full featured models to come down to the prices of current DVD players. The only opportunity will be when the HD-DVD players are on clearance. I will be interested in an HD-XA2 for $100 and Iíll stock up on the HD-DVDs for $5 each!
Old 06-22-2007   #9

Isn't Blockbuster fighting their own war? Changing customer programs faster than new releases come out! Struggling to compete with Netflix (who offers
both HD formats). Now picking their own Champion of the Format Wars and alienating even more of their customer base! Who will go quietly into the night first? HD DVD, Blueray or Blockbuster? The future of High Definition Entertainment surely will not require a trip to Blockbuster, the mailbox nor a decision as to Formats!
kdaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #10

Blockbuster has made a great decision by helping to accelerate the end of this format-war which has already gone on far too long.

Citing examples of exlusive HD DVD titles like "The Matrix" is a moot issue as that title will be appearing on BD later this summer, and WB will be releasing ALL of its HD DVD titles on BD as well. Warner postponed certain BD releases, like The Matrix, to coincide the BD release with new BD players that would be sold with BD-J interactivity from the start (current players need firmware upgrades). We all know that.

The longer the format war continues, the more we all lose out, because fewer consumers will be tempted to adopt either format as long as they fear a Beta/VHS scenario. The format war has yeilded some good things to-date, but it's time to cash in on those gains before they start to get overridden by the negatives of a sustained format-battle.

Toshiba is underpricing their players and taking a loss on each sale in a desperate measure to gain market with HD DVD right now. While that seems like a good strategy in the short-term, it's not a sustainable business practice and the lack of any profit on HD DVD hardware has kept other manufacturers from investing in HD DVD products.

BD prices will continue to fall and be at HD DVD levels within 6 months to a year. And even at a slightly higher price early on, having just one format will server as a greater encouragement for many enthusiasts to start to invest in HD media.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #11

Well, pre-mature or not, I don't think using the 'Matrix' series as an arguing point for HDDVD's is very compelling. Call me crazy, but special affects and CGI just aren't a replacement for good acting and a tangible plot that actually goes somewhere, not to mention a script (Neo should've been played by Shatner). I have a PS3, sadly, no HDTV, but I'm halfway there at least. And I can't _wait_ to see House of a Thousand Daggers in Hi-Def. But, what I'm really anxious to see on Blu-Ray, is Band of Brothers. I have the DVD Box-set, but would love to see it in Hi-Def.
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #12

Thumbs down Re: Blockbuster To Push Blu-ray Starting This July

Does Sony have shares/interest in Blockbuster?

Interesting, and definitely aggrevating, as a rental outfit I would think that they would want to cover both sides of the street, why alienate the HD-DVD crowd when as was stated, there are a lot of titles out there on HD-DVD.

Besides what about the combo players?

I guess I better shuffle down to my local Blockbuster, voice my opinion and see if I can pick up a mess of cheap previously viewed HD-DVD movices as they won't needing them anymore!
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blockbuster, blu, blue, date, deal, dvd, dvdblue, player, players, poor, push, quality, ray, release, video