Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 05-15-2008   #43

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
One feature that the Denon and Marantz prepros have that absolutely makes me scratch my head is the networking via Wi-Fi or whatever wire connection they are using. When we are struggling to get to pristine, high bandwidth, high rez 24-bit lossless 7.1 channel, do we need this relatively low bandwith capability for Ipods, internet radio, etc. ? I know I have no current or foreseeable use for it. If I want to listen to those low-fidelity sources, it makes no sense to do so through my expensive home theater system. It makes less sense that I have to pay for its' inclusion whether I want it or not. Am I missing something?
Well, the Denon will allow music streaming from your home computer, which can be in lossless or native bit rate, so should sound very good, as for the iPod, it is just far to common a device for most makers not to include integration for. I for one use internet radio a lot for parties, I put on some good blues or jazz stations and let it ride, it saves me making playlists and keeps up the variety during the party, and yes, I use my reference rig to stream this to.

I must agree, the new crop of pre/pro's are super packed with features, I know I and noone I know will ever use all the features found in the new Denon, but it does allow it to fulfill a variety of folk's needs, you might be able to save some $$ buying something that suits you more closely, but often that isn't possible, so I like the extra features, as who knows, some day I may want/need them.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #44

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Well, the Denon will allow music streaming from your home computer, which can be in lossless or native bit rate, so should sound very good, as for the iPod, it is just far to common a device for most makers not to include integration for. I for one use internet radio a lot for parties, I put on some good blues or jazz stations and let it ride, it saves me making playlists and keeps up the variety during the party, and yes, I use my reference rig to stream this to.

I must agree, the new crop of pre/pro's are super packed with features, I know I and noone I know will ever use all the features found in the new Denon, but it does allow it to fulfill a variety of folk's needs, you might be able to save some $$ buying something that suits you more closely, but often that isn't possible, so I like the extra features, as who knows, some day I may want/need them.
Very good points kenny. I use the Denon AVP's streaming capability and have been most impressed with the audio quality. Right now I am streaming mostly WAV, but flac and WMA Lossless sound excellent as well. If the Denon AVP was only able to accept MP3 and AAC, It would have been a useless feature for my needs. But since it does accept lossless and completely uncompressed audio streams, it is very worthy of being used in a high end system for 2 channel music listening. I am enjoying the streaming feature so much that I now find myself listening to it more than physical CD's. The ability to listen to any album, any artist, or any song, and not have to swap out CD's is just the coolest thing.

And I totally agree, the Denon is packed with pretty much every feature imaginable. And like you, while I may never use every feature and function that is available on the Denon AVP, I feel good knowing it's there if I ever do need it. Like the saying goes, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Seth
Z Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #45

This pre-pro subject is driving me crazy as well. I talked to Doug at ASi mods and he said for about $900.00 he can upgrade my older Rotel 1066 pre-pro to sound better than the onkyo pro units. Of course there's no HDMI output but I really don't care. because only audio goes through my processor and the video goes from my modified Oppo 983 direct to my Pioneer kuro. As we all know most professional installers still use component cables because HDMI cables cause them way too many return visits due to loose connections and handshake problems.

The only future addition I plan is a good BluRay player so an upgraded Rotel should be good for a few years until all the smoke clears.

Does anyone see any obvious faults in my thinking other than wanting the latest and greatest which unfortunately seems to be the most frustrating and expensive way to proceed?
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
This pre-pro subject is driving me crazy as well. I talked to Doug at ASi mods and he said for about $900.00 he can upgrade my older Rotel 1066 pre-pro to sound better than the onkyo pro units. Of course there's no HDMI output but I really don't care. because only audio goes through my processor and the video goes from my modified Oppo 983 direct to my Pioneer kuro. As we all know most professional installers still use component cables because HDMI cables cause them way too many return visits due to loose connections and handshake problems.

The only future addition I plan is a good BluRay player so an upgraded Rotel should be good for a few years until all the smoke clears.

Does anyone see any obvious faults in my thinking other than wanting the latest and greatest which unfortunately seems to be the most frustrating and expensive way to proceed?
Listen, here is the bottom line for now. The high end or esoteric companies, for whatever reason, can not keep up fully right now. There is always some compromise to deal with.
However, the Integra and Denon, with the Marantz units coming out this summer, are ready to go now. The Integra is a proven winner, and early reports on the Denon`s seem to confirm the same. So, if you want full capability now, that is your avenue. The Integra and Denon`s are very good products, and will not break your bank.

But, if your waiting for the higher end companies, you might be waiting until................

As far as uprading your Rotel, with no HDMI, I don`t know if I would go that route. The Integra is is not much more than the 900.00 you want to invest.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
As far as uprading your Rotel, with no HDMI, I don`t know if I would go that route. The Integra is is not much more than the 900.00 you want to invest.
I strongly agree with greg on this point. Pre/pro's drop in value as each new step in technology arrives, spending more money on one that doesn't do HDMI switching, much less the new audio codecs is just throwing good money after bad. Buy the Integra and sell your Rotel for whatever you can get for it, and be current until the dust settles. Then down the line when you do upgrade players, you're ready for it and won't have to (then) upgrade the pre/pro as well!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #48
wes

Cool Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Listen, here is the bottom line for now. The high end or esoteric companies, for whatever reason, can not keep up fully right now. There is always some compromise to deal with. However, the Integra and Denon, with the Marantz units coming out this summer, are ready to go now. The Integra is a proven winner, and early reports on the Denon`s seem to confirm the same. So, if you want full capability now, that is your avenue. The Integra and Denon`s are very good products, and will not break your bank. But, if your waiting for the higher end companies, you might be waiting until................ As far as upgrading your Rotel, with no HDMI, I don`t know if I would go that route. The Integra is is not much more than the 900.00 you want to invest.
I am seriously thinking about that burning a $1000 and wait a year until Classι has the SSP-800 with all new codec
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13a, 13b, audio, bypass, classe, hdmi, pre, pro, receiver, receivers, recievers, sale, ssp800, switching