Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 05-01-2008   #25

Unhappy Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

I keep hearing about this Classe SSP-800? But researching information about it on the forums leads me to question – just what does the Clasee do that the Integra does not?
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28891

Seems like its missing some of the Integra features (codex, room correction)? I can understand is supposed to bring superior DAC sound but is that it? Am I missing something? It sounds like another high-end pre-pro that can’t get the latest chips allotments.

Opinions??
CaliFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #26

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliFan View Post
I keep hearing about this Classe SSP-800? But researching information about it on the forums leads me to question – just what does the Clasee do that the Integra does not?
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28891

Seems like its missing some of the Integra features (codex, room correction)? I can understand is supposed to bring superior DAC sound but is that it? Am I missing something? It sounds like another high-end pre-pro that can’t get the latest chips allotments.

Opinions??
I agree. I cannot see what is worth waiting for. Particularly when the Integra sounds as great as it does.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #27

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
I agree. I cannot see what is worth waiting for. Particularly when the Integra sounds as great as it does.
I think it all depends, some have had issue with the Integra from what I've read, I know Andrew loves his and is very happy with it. I personally sold my Meridian 861v4 for the Denon AVP-A1HDCi as I am a tech junkie and want, nay need all the new goodies and codecs, but will I be as happy with it???

Right now I can't say, I haven't been home for a few weeks to try it out. Hopefully I will be, but it has some pretty big shoes to fill!!!

I for one want all the new codecs, and am waiting for the high end companies to come out with all these features AND great audio!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I think it all depends, some have had issue with the Integra from what I've read, I know Andrew loves his and is very happy with it. I personally sold my Meridian 861v4 for the Denon AVP-A1HDCi as I am a tech junkie and want, nay need all the new goodies and codecs, but will I be as happy with it???

Right now I can't say, I haven't been home for a few weeks to try it out. Hopefully I will be, but it has some pretty big shoes to fill!!!

I for one want all the new codecs, and am waiting for the high end companies to come out with all these features AND great audio!

Well, the Denon might be even better than the Integra. I have never heard the Denon. I also have not seen any negative reports on the Integra. Can you direct me to some? The only major glitch I am aware of is that it blanks out the sound for about a half second when you start playing a hi-rez source. I also do not think that analog input to the Integra - phono, in my case - is world class. It's decent enough, though. Other than that there are nothing but positive reviews all over the web, forums, magazines, etc. Several reviewers considered it comparable to an Anthem D2, but with HDMI 1.3 support and Audyssey.

My bias is using it as a multichannel music system. Video is a bonus, but I do not watch all that much. From personal experience, all I can tell you is that I am currently getting the finest reproduced sound I have ever heard anywhere from the Integra plus an Oppo 980H using HDMI with SACD's and DVD-A's. (No 7.1 channel sources yet.) I do not have much experience with other multichannel systems, other than those I auditioned before making my Integra purchase sight unseen (Theta, Classe, Anthem, Meridian and a few others). The 2-channel equipment I chucked cost about 8 times as much and is very high end. I won't reveal the names, because they are not sold yet. I was going to keep the 2 channel gear and marry it to the multichannel system. My 2 channel line stage has a unity gain input, so this was doable. For what it's worth, the same line stage as mine has been in John Atkinson's (Stereophile's Editor in Chief) system for quite a few years. But, the sound of the Integra convinced me I do not need to keep the much more expensive stuff. It simply kills 2-channel, and I have heard many of the very, very finest stereo systems out there in good rooms. So, for the first time in my 40-years as an audiophile, I am able to do a tremendous sonic upgrade and make a handsome profit.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #29
wes

Cool Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Interesting, I have ben waiting to hear the Classé SSP-800, I currently have a 6 years old Integra Research that still work like a charm. Unfortunately no HDMi but my blu ray has HDMi 1.2 I believe so that is fine as the JVC DLA RS2 has HDMi as well

The only issue I have with Integra Reserach is the fact that they were talking about being upgradable and it never was!!!

I hope Classé is as good as they say it is!!! Otherwise I will have waited in vain, but my amps

wse

7.1 Audio and HD Video
(3) 802D, (2) 802s, (2) 803s, JLAudio Fathom F113, Classé CA-5200, CA-2100, Sony SACD777ES, IR RDC-7, Sony BDP-301, JVC DLA-RS2
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #30

I have been having a lot of discussion on the topic of pre/pro's with AVRev's publisher Jerry Del Colliano, and I am still no closer to knowing what is best to do now!

The upper end is slow, as usual, to release new processors, some companies have dropped out of the AV Preamp market (Chord for one) while others try to get something that works out ASAP. We both agree the feature set of the Integra DTC 9.8 is excellent, and the things the Denon AVP-A1HDCI can do quite simply make it the most feature packed AV Preamp ever.

Will the Classe' sound better? I don't know, but having been waiting for upgrades before, I worry about it if it comes out without the new codecs as I have been burned before (not by CLasse').

Now ironically, I used to use a Meridian 861v4, which I bought so I wouldn't need to replace my pre/pro, but when I thought about it, (mine was upgraded from a v1 to v2 to v3 to v4 before I bought it...) the casing was old, I had more cards in it than any 861 know to the company (per the head or tech support!) and when I figured out the cost to replace all the input and output boards, as well as the upgrade, it would be almost as much as if I sold the old one and just bought a new one, which is what I plan to do, but the last I heard from Meridian was @ CEDIA this last year, so I don't know when those upgrades will come.

That said, I am still unclear what we really need in an AV Preamp.

Sure, we all want HDMI 1.3a, but do we need it? Deep color has promise, but until software comes out that was recorded in deep color is it really necessary??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13a, 13b, audio, bypass, classe, hdmi, pre, pro, receiver, receivers, recievers, sale, ssp800, switching