Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 04-29-2008   #19

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

I hear that greg!

Let's see, how many pre/pro's have I owned in the last few years.... I think I've had seven in the past five years go through my system, one was for review....

I added one to add 5.1 analog ins, then upgraded that one, then got another one that was better and added 5.1 inputs to that, then progressed to HDMI switching/scaling, and now to get all the new audio codecs made another switch..... It's no wonder I can tear down and rebuild my system quickly, I do it every few months!

These things aren't cheap either and thery lose value so quickly it's pathetic. I would say the pre/pro is the lowest return on investment in the audio industry! Amps are amps, players do get outdated, but a good player is still a good player. Speakers last a long time and settle out in value as well, but a pre/pro.... Damn! I remember when I bought my Linn AV5103 years ago it retailed for $8,800, I bought it for $4,300 (a really good deal at the time) maybe 2.5 years later I was happy to get $1,300 for it!

I'll be glad when all the dust settles and I can stop trying to stay current!

Last edited by kennyt; 04-29-2008 at 11:17 AM..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #20
wes

Cool Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

The advantage of waiting is that you won't have to upgrade in an other six month!!

I have been waiting to see how the Classé SSP-800 will perform and might have to wait until Q1 09 before they are fully functional!!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #21

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market – Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I hear that greg!

Let's see, how many pre/pro's have I owned in the last few years.... I think I've had seven in the past five years go through my system, one was for review....

I added one to add 5.1 analog ins, then upgraded that one, then got another one that was better and added 5.1 inputs to that, then progressed to HDMI switching/scaling, and now to get all the new audio codecs made another switch..... It's no wonder I can tear down and rebuild my system quickly, I do it every few months!

These things aren't cheap either and thery lose value so quickly it's pathetic. I would say the pre/pro is the lowest return on investment in the audio industry! Amps are amps, players do get outdated, but a good player is still a good player. Speakers last a long time and settle out in value as well, but a pre/pro.... Damn! I remember when I bought my Linn AV5103 years ago it retailed for $8,800, I bought it for $4,300 (a really good deal at the time) maybe 2.5 years later I was happy to get $1,300 for it!

I'll be glad when all the dust settles and I can stop trying to stay current!
Hmm, that is a lot of switching!! Well, I`m with you on the fact that the dust must settle, and quickly!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #22
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Talk about the upgrading bug, I wished I had that kind of money to buy 7 Pre/pro in five years, taht is one every 10 months. Unless you own a CE store or get them for free that is an expensive hobbie.

I usually change my equipment every seven to ten years only after major new technologies are making an exponential difference, such as HDMi 1.3 DD true HD and DTS-Master Audio.

I resisted making upgrades until HDMi 1.3 came and avoided to buy new equipment with all these versions of HDMi:

The initial HDMI 1.0 specification was released in December 2002. DVD
Version 1.1 was released in May 2004.
Version 1.2 was released in August of 2005.
Version 1.2a was released in December of 2005.
Version 1.3 was released in June of 2006.
Version 1.3a was released in June of 2007
Version 1.3b was released in January of 2008

At least now HDMi 1.3 has support for
* Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
* Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths,
* Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™”
* New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders
* Lip Sync: enhance the clarity and detail, synchronization of video and audio
* New HD lossless audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

This should last an other ten years. I don't see how they can improve in sound quality beside digital and studio master uncompressed audio! Of course once they can do all that wirelessly and retain the quality then I might consider upgrading until then I am waiting for Classé to release the SSP-800 and hope it lives up to the promises or I will buy the Denon AVP1

Last edited by wes; 04-30-2008 at 01:37 PM..
Old 04-30-2008   #23

Sounds like a plan Wes.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #24
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Sounds like a plan Wes.
Muchas gracias
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13a, 13b, audio, bypass, classe, hdmi, pre, pro, receiver, receivers, recievers, sale, ssp800, switching