Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 04-22-2008   #13

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

I was talking about pre/processors only, plenty of receivers are out that do HDMI 1.3 and all the new codecs...... As usual the pre/pro market is lagging behind...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #14

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

I was only slightly dreaming about a Blu-ray player with six channel balanced outputs. There are only two sources (Meitner & Electrocompaniet Universal player) I'm aware of and they were both over $10k. I don't expect high end Blu-ray players anytime soon, let alone ones with MC balanced outputs. I'm "making do" with the LG dual format player for now but may go after the latest Denon player with DTS HD MA decoding (again an "interim" solution).

Eventually I'll give in to a new Pre/pro but there needs to be better reasons than currently available. Deep color perhaps ?
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #15

Amen to standardization. I sincerely believe that we would be better off with the signal in the digital domain for as long as possible. Signal transmission is so much better and cheaper in digital form than analog. Ask the telephone and cable companies, which have been doing it for years. And what purpose is served exactly by multiple d-a, a-d, d-a conversions in the system? It sure does not make the system cheaper or more efficient or better sounding.

I envision our audio/video systems of the future being entirely hi-rez digital from source to digitally amplified active speakers, with one and only one DAC for the entire system in the active speaker. We have already had many hints at this. Meridian, in particular, comes closest, but their approach is proprietary, horrendously expensive and now obsolete. Theta was making analog amps with a built-in DAC option. Okay, there will always be an a-d input converter for vinyl or reel-to-reel fans.

I do not think HDMI 1.3a is ready for this, but future evolutions might be. I have always loathed spending outrageous sums for analog cables and it gets worse with multichannel.
Not that there is not a slight difference between analog cables, but the whole process of listening, system matching, etc. is no fun at all. Need I mention the outrageous prices, retail markups and "snake oil" peddled by the analog cable makers. Digital cables do away almost entirely with these issues at unbelievably low prices. Now if HDMI only had a proper latching plug and jack system, like the elegance of XLR cables, we would be in great shape.

As to HDMI 1.2 vs. 1.3a, does anyone actually believe that deep color, etc. is not going to happen in Blu-Ray? For life of me, I do not know why anyone would buy something they know will be obsolete within months. Manufacturers and dealers - especially the low volume high end - are promulgating several myths for their own economic advantage, e.g., "HDMI 1.2 is all you need" (because they can't get the 1.3a chips). Or, "component video is better than HDMI, the latter of which is absolutely and utterly unacceptable". Robert Harley published this notion which he attributed to Arcam. I do not know for the life of me why, when I have a hi-bandwidth digital source (Blu-Ray or even DVD, cable or satellite) and I have a digital monitor, audio controller, room equalizer, etc., why I would want an analog transmission medium - component video and analog audio - in between.

My conversion from stereo to multichannel uses an Integra DTC 9.8 with an Oppo 980H via HDMI. I have not in 40 years as an audiophile heard better sound in terms of faithfulness to the original than this with SACD's or DVD-A's. And, you would not believe to prices of the 2-chanel gear this replaced.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #16

I don't think that Deep Color will be around any time soon. Nothing is being recorded in it yet as far as I know, so until the studios start filming in deep color, we won't see any improvements from this feature.

I for one hope that we stop @ 1.3 and stay there. I am sick of buying gear only to have it outdated, sometimes before even taking delivery!

I personally sold my Meridian 861v4 and bought the new Denon pre/pro as it will allow me to utilize all the new codecs and have plenty of flexibility for my system, for now.... As the high end companies come out with new, fully featured pre/pro's come out, I will buy one (I'm hoping Meridian makes a new 861 with HDMI 1.3 in and all those juicy codecs....) but for now I can take advantage of all the new audio codecs in the meantime.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #17

Well, some people have to have the latest and greatest constantly. I like to get some years of of my purchases myself. That is why I bougt an HDMI 1.3a compatible controller now in anticipation of the "futures" it could support. So, whether deep color takes 6 weeks to materialize, or 6 years, I will be ready. Had I already owned an HDMI 1.2 receiver, I would not have updated just to get 1.3a.

For people like me entering the multichannel and home theater world for the first time, getting 1.3a now is sensible way to be ready for all Blu-Ray can offer - current and known "futures". I do not have Blu-Ray yet, but for people going Blu-Ray for the first time and replacing a 5.1 channel controller/receiver with 7.1 channel, HDMI 1.3a would also be the smart way to go.

I do believe the pace of development of things like deep color, fuelled by incresed unit sales, will be much quicker now that the format war is over and consumer uncertainty resolved.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #18

Smile Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I don't think that Deep Color will be around any time soon. Nothing is being recorded in it yet as far as I know, so until the studios start filming in deep color, we won't see any improvements from this feature.

I for one hope that we stop @ 1.3 and stay there. I am sick of buying gear only to have it outdated, sometimes before even taking delivery!

I personally sold my Meridian 861v4 and bought the new Denon pre/pro as it will allow me to utilize all the new codecs and have plenty of flexibility for my system, for now.... As the high end companies come out with new, fully featured pre/pro's come out, I will buy one (I'm hoping Meridian makes a new 861 with HDMI 1.3 in and all those juicy codecs....) but for now I can take advantage of all the new audio codecs in the meantime.
Yeah, I have to agree with you here. The constant switching and updating has become a little crazy right now. Its one thing to have the latest and greatest, but to constantly have to upgrade because of lack of inputs, outputs, and codecs, will not help push HD and Home Theater into overdrive, as it should.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13a, 13b, audio, bypass, classe, hdmi, pre, pro, receiver, receivers, recievers, sale, ssp800, switching