Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 04-19-2008   #7

Thumbs up Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

It seems that we may have a possiblility of simplification and standardization with the new HDMI 1.3 spec. I'm waiting for a true universal player - one that playes all disk formats CD, Divix, CDR, DVD, DVDR, SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray, (OK you can dump HD-DVD). And sends all output via bitstream over HDMI 1.3. No need for any DAC in the player anymore - just get the bits off the disc. Also only 1 cable out makes things much cleaner. (Sort or like the latest Oppo player but with Blu-ray).

Then let the pre-pro/receiver do the decoding, room correction, bass management, upconversion, upsampling work still in the digital domain. Then only one D-to-A conversion in the final step (here's where the high end audiophile companies can differentiate. I'd like to see an Integra-like pre-pro from an audiophile-cred company).

Seems like we have the potential for a simpler yet better sounding/viewing systems.

P.S. Media/music server should also send their output bitstream via HDMI 1.3. They can then concentrate on storage and software and not worry about analog conversions-output.
CaliFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008   #8

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

The player needs to decode the audio anyway first so that it can dub in any extra menu sound effects. If a player outputs a lossless DTS or DD bitstream it is decoding then re-encoding. So does it really matter other than the fact that your AVR will light up and say Dolby True or DTS MA HD? Is the AVR going to do a better job at decoding an already decoded then re-encoded bitstream?

Deep color is still a few years out from truly being supported. Computers (PCs) and game consoles I believe are the only sources right now.

Last edited by MatrixDweller; 04-19-2008 at 08:42 PM..
MatrixDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #9
TRT

Default Re: Next Gen, HDMI 1.3 Receivers Slow To Market Do You Really Need Them?

If we all jump into the ( Way Back Machine ) we'll find a entertainment system in a audiophile's home consisting of: A reel-to-reel, a German made turntable, (2) tube amps, a pre-amp, two well made studio monitors and the best door bell wire the local hardware store had to offer. Technology will stop evolving when a comet hits the north pole. Why can't we as adults admitt the fact that all of this stuff are just toys! We get tired of a source; We buy something new and/or better. It's like trading in a one year old car. Toys! We can choose between a Acme lawnmower and a air-conditioned lawn tracter, too. We are a generation of, "What's next?" Look at the cell phone market. The mini-bike you asked your dad for isn't the same one your kids want. Let us go as men go and enjoy the " chip " revolution! Where's my jet pack!

T. R. Tatum
South Florida
TRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliFan View Post
It seems that we may have a possiblility of simplification and standardization with the new HDMI 1.3 spec. I'm waiting for a true universal player - one that playes all disk formats CD, Divix, CDR, DVD, DVDR, SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray, (OK you can dump HD-DVD). And sends all output via bitstream over HDMI 1.3. No need for any DAC in the player anymore - just get the bits off the disc. Also only 1 cable out makes things much cleaner. (Sort or like the latest Oppo player but with Blu-ray).

Then let the pre-pro/receiver do the decoding, room correction, bass management, upconversion, upsampling work still in the digital domain. Then only one D-to-A conversion in the final step (here's where the high end audiophile companies can differentiate. I'd like to see an Integra-like pre-pro from an audiophile-cred company).

Seems like we have the potential for a simpler yet better sounding/viewing systems.

P.S. Media/music server should also send their output bitstream via HDMI 1.3. They can then concentrate on storage and software and not worry about analog conversions-output.
The only drawback is if you are "stuck" with a non-HDMI solution which includes a high quality multichannel analog preamp/switcher. In which case I might want to have the source player(s) do the internal decoding and output on the (balanced?) multichannel analog outputs. I may be looking at >$10K to get an HDMI 1.3 pre/pro with a preamp stage within striking distance of the one I've already got (that's just a guess since I'm not aware of an HDMI 1.3-compliant pre/pro yet).
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #11

oscar,

I have not, nor do I expect to see a Blu-ray player with balanced analog outputs, I could be wrong but I doubt it.

You will likely have to spend more than $10K to best the Switchman you use now, and the Denon AVP-A1HDCi and Integra DTC 9.8 do HDMI 1.3.

another new one coming out are the Lyngdorf D1.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #12

How about the new Pioneer SC-09TX that is coming out this month (hopefully)? Looks like it has all the bells and whistles that everyone is talking about. It seems to be in the same league as the other receivers mentioned previously.
docjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13a, 13b, audio, bypass, classe, hdmi, pre, pro, receiver, receivers, recievers, sale, ssp800, switching