Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 03-06-2008   #7

Default Re: Parks Says High-End Entertainment Business to Double in Next Five Years

I don't know, the HTPC is still a bit unrefined, but this is rapidly changing so you are likely right, pretty soon..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #8

Default Re: Parks Says High-End Entertainment Business to Double in Next Five Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I don't know, the HTPC is still a bit unrefined, but this is rapidly changing so you are likely right, pretty soon..
Coudln't agree more - Joel Silver had one of the high-end Niveus Media Center units (think it was the Denali) at our isf training in December and while it worked pretty well it did "hiccup" a couple of times (when switching from the Sencore calibration software to DVD) and I'd be hesitant to recommend it for the average, non-techie consumer just yet. However, it was pretty impressive (as it should be for the $$$$ involved) and can't help but think that there's going to have to be some pretty impressive advances (and cost reductions) in both hardware and operating system(s) before this category is truly "ready for prime time".
Old 03-06-2008   #9

Cool Re: Parks Says High-End Entertainment Business to Double in Next Five Years

I`m definitely not ready for HTPC. The whole idea of merging computers and A/V equipment together, is still very scary together. I still feel they should be separate. But I see, that is not going to happen.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
I`m definitely not ready for HTPC. The whole idea of merging computers and A/V equipment together, is still very scary together. I still feel they should be separate. But I see, that is not going to happen.
At one time I believed they belonged in separate worlds also. I got hooked when I started upconverting about 6 years ago. Have there been problems - many (one of the worst was electronic noise - but even it has disappeared)!!!! If you are a tech geek, you learn to live with these and ajust - kinda like bluray and the profile thing - but thats another post My HTPC has had hiccups and such, but now it's very reliable and plays whatever I want without a blink (unless theres a software problem that has to be patched). Other than that, no hardware problems whatsoever. The convinence factor launched me into HTPC also. After hurricanes - if my antenna is still standing (and it has been for a while) - I can start watching the News or other programs - in HD, I don't have to wait for 2 to 8 weeks for cable to fix everything (anyone remember Hurricane Ivan). I pick up OTA HD with my antenna directly into my HTPC. I can record and do a number of things - It has served as my emergancy preamp. And one good thing about it - I can always - and I mean always, fix it. I'm ok with audio gear, but the parts issue comes into play. I can always find parts for my PC and or get better parts. It's become a dear friend to me and a welcome part to my system - hiccups and all. Its kinda like a wife backwards - wives tend to get out of shape, get gray hair, and go through other changes as they grow older, but you still love them the same if not more, HTPC's get more into shape the older they get, and you still love them too. Try one in a small system one day just for laughs - you just may be surprised.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #11

Talking Re: Parks Says High-End Entertainment Business to Double in Next Five Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
HTPC = Fine steaks and cheese. They get better as they properly age
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
end, entertainment, getgray, high, home, housing, htpc, parks, theater