Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-22-2008   #7

Default Re: AppleTV Take 2 Impressions

For me the worth of the AppleTV goes beyond renting HD content. For me it is Kaledescape on the cheap, for it gives me instant access to my SD and music library. Granted I had to rip everything myself but it was a small price to pay for the ultimate enjoyment and savings it provides me over more expensive and complicated products. If you're buying an AppleTV purely for the HD rental service then, no, it may not be completely worth it. But when you have a music and movie library like I do being able to catalog it with an easy to use system such as iTunes the AppleTV represents a phenomenal value. I have all of my content on a few external drives in my office and use the AppleTV's to stream that content throughout my house without having to tear open my walls and running cable etc. The HD features are simply an added bonus for me. If you utilize or are looking to create a system such as mine then the AppleTV is a GREAT way to go without having to spend serious coin to do relatively the same thing. Once HD content can be owned via the AppleTV it's value will be cemented whole heartedly.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
For me the worth of the AppleTV goes beyond renting HD content. For me it is Kaledescape on the cheap, for it gives me instant access to my SD and music library. Granted I had to rip everything myself but it was a small price to pay for the ultimate enjoyment and savings it provides me over more expensive and complicated products. . . ..
So you are essentially using it like a wireless HTPC.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #9

except its a HTPC that actually works

That and its a mac which means the interface and trouble shooting is much simpler and more elegant.

Yes, I'm biased.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Old 02-22-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
except its a HTPC that actually works

That and its a mac which means the interface and trouble shooting is much simpler and more elegant.

Yes, I'm biased.
I understand. I am not interested in a PC in my HT either which is why a mac would be the way to go I if I was to do it.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #11

I am seriously looking into one of these, Andrew, do I need the 160G or is the 40G enough especially if I base all the data off my Mac Pro?

I usually hold to the rule buy the biggest HD you can but in this case I don't know if I really need it. It would be for some downloaded movies occasionally, streaming SD DVD.s and music to my system.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #12

Ken,

I have the 40G versions because I store NOTHING on them at any time. They are purely extenders for my main computer in my office. Even if you rent HD movies from time to time 40G is more than enough to house several rentals at one time. The only reason I would go 160G (and why I think they offer it) is if you don't have a "home base" computer with a lot of storage or means then you would want to house your content on the AppleTV(s) themselves and share back and forth that way. Or you can now use the AppleTV without having to have a home computer which is another good reason for the 160G. Yet, if you have a home base of sorts get the 40G and enjoy.

I will say this, while not perfect the little *******s are addicting.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Sponsored Links

Tags
apple, appletv, audio, digital, dolby, dtc98, integra, tv