Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   I find it funny... (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/1611-i-find-funny.html)

Robinson_A 02-21-2008 01:22 PM

I find it funny...

Everyone,

What I am about to say is bound to strike a nerve with many posters on this site and I do not write this message with ill intent, that being said feel free to unleash the fury upon me should you disagree with the following statements.

I recently received a communication from a former forum poster demanding an apology to not only him but to all of you on this forum for my blatant support of HD DVD and for censoring those who supported Blu-ray. The message went on to say how biased I am and that the magazine that I help run with Jerry, Bryan, Ken, Scott and others has "lost its way" and that we shall forever be branded as pawns and shills to the highest bidder. This so-called judgement as already been passed, in the eyes of one poster, and will be communicated to other journalists and forums the net over. That last part made me laugh a little. Okay a lot.

So here is my apology...

I, Andrew Robinson, apologize for helping to create a venue for people to talk openly about their hobbies, thoughts, ideals, frustrations, concerns and enjoyment. I apologize for spending countless hours of my own time (this magazine and forum is not my full time job) listening to readers, consulting with them, helping them through this endless maze we call home theater and for generating content month after month that all of you seem to enjoy. I apologize for purchasing four HD DVD players and three Blu-ray players and countless discs. I apologize for spending upwards of a thousand dollars every month to stay current on the latest trends and happenings. But above all, I apologize for not giving a damn about this format war either way for no matter what the outcome I was equally vested and equally screwed. Oh, and I apologize for taking up all of your time with this apology.

However, I will not apologize for banning those who demand apologies based on them being "right" and me being "wrong". For those of you who supported Blu-ray I ask you, beyond making a solid investment and not having to purchase another player, what did you win? Seriously, is Sony going to send you the Blu-ray equivalent of the Stanley Cup to your home for you to enjoy for a week? Do you get a "thanks for buying Blu-ray bonus?" No. What did you win? To those of you who bought HD DVD's what did you loose? Did/do you not enjoy your HD DVD player? Both sides purchased the players that fit their needs and budget and made the best decision with the info they had at the time and that's that. Because HD DVD has now bowed out has your enjoyment of the format lessened? Sure you may not get any new discs in the future but that doesn't rob you of enjoying what you have or being able to enjoy standard definition discs with improved quality, does it?

This is what I don't like about this whole discourse. It's never been about enjoying anything, it's been about who's right and who's wrong and frankly no one is right and no one is wrong. This whole debacle could have just as easily gone the other way. You are all well informed consumers who made a decision and now people who made the "other" decision are trying to say you're wrong or worse stupid. That's not a hobby I wish to be involved in and I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I don't call vinyl enthusiasts morons just because I don't own a turntable. That's their bag and they're entitled to it and good show to them. So long as more than one person supports a particular area of home theater/audio I'm going to be interested in it and willing to talk about it even if I do not partake in it myself. That is my commitment to the hobby as well as to you.

This poster went on to say that AVRev has "lost its way". I whole heartedly disagree. I personally believe we've never been more relevant than we are today and my biggest argument for that statement are the threads in this forum. My supporting argument are the numerous feature reviews we run each and every month relating to Blu-ray, HD DVD, LCD TV's, Plasmas on down to Power Conditioners. I can assure you as the months progress our reach will become even more vast and accessible as we prepare for the next chapter in AVRev's evolution.

Frankly, I'm tired of this whole debate, this back and forth and mud slinging. I get upwards of two dozen messages a day of grown men and women not being able to resolve their differences over a stupid piece of plastic. Seriously, you'd swear we were arguing over peace in the Middle East. I love that you all are passionate and I share your passion however please don't misplace it and become angry like the gentleman who wrote me the e-mail did. Please keep it all in perspective. At the end of the day, Blu-ray's "victory" is but a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things and whether you felt burned or vindicated will matter little in the months ahead when some new format comes along and the arguments start all over again. So I say, enjoy yourselves, enjoy one another and don't be like this guy who felt the need to flood my inbox with hate mail.

Man, I must sound like a broken record.

prerich 02-21-2008 01:51 PM

Re: I find it funny...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 11869)
Everyone,

What I am about to say is bound to strike a nerve with many posters on this site and I do not write this message with ill intent, that being said feel free to unleash the fury upon me should you disagree with the following statements.

I recently received a communication from a former forum poster demanding an apology to not only him but to all of you on this forum for my blatant support of HD DVD and for censoring those who supported Blu-ray. The message went on to say how biased I am and that the magazine that I help run with Jerry, Bryan, Ken, Scott and others has "lost its way" and that we shall forever be branded as pawns and shills to the highest bidder. This so-called judgement as already been passed, in the eyes of one poster, and will be communicated to other journalists and forums the net over. That last part made me laugh a little. Okay a lot.

So here is my apology...

I, Andrew Robinson, apologize for helping to create a venue for people to talk openly about their hobbies, thoughts, ideals, frustrations, concerns and enjoyment. I apologize for spending countless hours of my own time (this magazine and forum is not my full time job) listening to readers, consulting with them, helping them through this endless maze we call home theater and for generating content month after month that all of you seem to enjoy. I apologize for purchasing four HD DVD players and three Blu-ray players and countless discs. I apologize for spending upwards of a thousand dollars every month to stay current on the latest trends and happenings. But above all, I apologize for not giving a damn about this format war either way for no matter what the outcome I was equally vested and equally screwed. Oh, and I apologize for taking up all of your time with this apology.

However, I will not apologize for banning those who demand apologies based on them being "right" and me being "wrong". For those of you who supported Blu-ray I ask you, beyond making a solid investment and not having to purchase another player, what did you win? Seriously, is Sony going to send you the Blu-ray equivalent of the Stanley Cup to your home for you to enjoy for a week? Do you get a "thanks for buying Blu-ray bonus?" No. What did you win? To those of you who bought HD DVD's what did you loose? Did/do you not enjoy your HD DVD player? Both sides purchased the players that fit their needs and budget and made the best decision with the info they had at the time and that's that. Because HD DVD has now bowed out has your enjoyment of the format lessened? Sure you may not get any new discs in the future but that doesn't rob you of enjoying what you have or being able to enjoy standard definition discs with improved quality, does it?

This is what I don't like about this whole discourse. It's never been about enjoying anything, it's been about who's right and who's wrong and frankly no one is right and no one is wrong. This whole debacle could have just as easily gone the other way. You are all well informed consumers who made a decision and now people who made the "other" decision are trying to say you're wrong or worse stupid. That's not a hobby I wish to be involved in and I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I don't call vinyl enthusiasts morons just because I don't own a turntable. That's their bag and they're entitled to it and good show to them. So long as more than one person supports a particular area of home theater/audio I'm going to be interested in it and willing to talk about it even if I do not partake in it myself. That is my commitment to the hobby as well as to you.

This poster went on to say that AVRev has "lost its way". I whole heartedly disagree. I personally believe we've never been more relevant than we are today and my biggest argument for that statement are the threads in this forum. My supporting argument are the numerous feature reviews we run each and every month relating to Blu-ray, HD DVD, LCD TV's, Plasmas on down to Power Conditioners. I can assure you as the months progress our reach will become even more vast and accessible as we prepare for the next chapter in AVRev's evolution.

Frankly, I'm tired of this whole debate, this back and forth and mud slinging. I get upwards of two dozen messages a day of grown men and women not being able to resolve their differences over a stupid piece of plastic. Seriously, you'd swear we were arguing over peace in the Middle East. I love that you all are passionate and I share your passion however please don't misplace it and become angry like the gentleman who wrote me the e-mail did. Please keep it all in perspective. At the end of the day, Blu-ray's "victory" is but a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things and whether you felt burned or vindicated will matter little in the months ahead when some new format comes along and the arguments start all over again. So I say, enjoy yourselves, enjoy one another and don't be like this guy who felt the need to flood my inbox with hate mail.

Man, I must sound like a broken record.

I own both formats - and Andrew I'm behind you! This is a great board that had people on both camps and non-partisans. BD won - well taken - I've said I didn't care who won because I can do both and got in cheap. What some of this stuff amounts to is like cheering for your favorite basketball team - your team may win - but you're not going to the team after party unless you're an insider - you ain't goin' to the star player's house - you don't know where he lives and he ain't comin' to you...why...he doesn't care where you live. I'm blu now but it doesn't mean that I won't buy some red stuff at cheap prices (if I don't own it on DVD - for re-buys it must meet my criteria). To put it bluntly - I am first and formost - a consumer. :cool:

kennyt 02-21-2008 04:06 PM

Well said Andrew!

I just checked the equipment reviews, and guess what? Four for Blu-ray to Five for HD DVD and two of the HD DVD's were the XA1 and A1, which were identical mechanisms I believe.

Now, as far as being HD DVD biased, Jerry, Andrew and I have had many discussions over which format was better and we never came up with one over the other. I know for a fact the only endpoint for these discussions seemed to always be Andrew's plea for them to "just work!".

I have bought four Blu-ray players yet only two HD DVD players, so I guess it must be obvious I was HD DVD biased! Quite the contrary, in fact I was more pro Blu-ray early on, it was all the fun along the way (HDCP handshake issues, magenta screens failure to play on some sets/with some discs..... I am sure I'm missing some, and neither format was immune to these issues!) that slightly swayed me towards HD DVD, as in the end the were more likely to "just work".

We all knew buying any player carried a risk of having a new doorstop or boat anchor or whatever, so why are some so adamant fighting over this loss? It seems like losing that last hand of blackjack and yelling at the guy next to you who won (BTW Andrew, he didn't start off with 15!) it just doesn't make sense to me.

kennyt 04-06-2008 04:43 AM

I was trolling the forum this morning as I awoke early and couldn't go back to sleep and this post still makes me laugh!

Thank you for this one Andrew!!!!

Silver Supra 04-06-2008 11:34 AM

Just imagine what will happen when disk players (and disks) are completely obsolete.

I see a future (not too distant either I might add) where there is no need for ANY complicated disk handling transport. Simply download and software you want into non-volitale memory and enjoy. No need to drive to Blockbuster, or even wait for the Netflix mailman.

The next step will be an HDMI port in the base of my skull. :)

TheMoose 04-06-2008 11:42 AM

It did get awfully heated there for a while didn't it!

Did you notice how many "Members" vanished after Toshiba called it quits?
Most all of the most hardcore fanboys were here for no other reason but to put down the other side, flame bait & troll, I for one am glad they are gone!!

I was so disgusted by these posters that I quit posting for a while until the main antagonist announce he was leaving & it also caused me to turn down an offer from Jerry to become more involved in this forum.

I never noticed any "bias" among the mods/reviewers on this site, they may have preferred one format over another but I never saw it affect their ability to discuss either format fairly.
The "Format war" didn't do anyone any good, I'm glad it's over!

The debate between Blu-Ray & HD Downloads seems to be a lot more civil than the hd-dvd vs Blu-Ray war was!