Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008   #25
Super Member
 
rlpiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 506
Default Re: Blu-ray Wins! But The Real Format War Has Only Just Begun

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
I won't be getting a bluray unit for at least 1 year and maybe more!

I still think they're more trouble than they're worth. Check out the AVS form where they have at least 4 threads on the latest Denon 3800 bluray MSLP $2000.00 player and you'll find most people don't have the skill or patience to properly set up and play the units.

At this point it's still for the a/v nuts to have the latest and as far as the masses buying new big screens and bluray players, so what these same people wouldn't know if their unit or as said previously their new TV was working properly. As long as they turn on and off their happy. In Vegas I have not walked into one house that sports a real home theater.
Mostly I see a large TV with home theater in a box junk that sounds awful with no set up standards period, the tvs are even worse.

Anyway I decided to send in my Pioneer dv59-avi player to Joseph Chow at Componentplus-USA and have it upgraded to reduce noise etc. this will keep me happy for another few years
You are missing out not having a HD player, it is the only way to take advantage of 1080p unless you have a scaler. But still, that is not the same.

Also, what you see in others homes that are not into high-end HT is very typical. . .HTIB + big screen w/ speakers in all the wrong places if hooked up at all.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #26
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 298
Default Re: Blu-ray Wins! But The Real Format War Has Only Just Begun

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
I won't be getting a bluray unit for at least 1 year and maybe more!

I still think they're more trouble than they're worth. Check out the AVS form where they have at least 4 threads on the latest Denon 3800 bluray MSLP $2000.00 player and you'll find most people don't have the skill or patience to properly set up and play the units.

At this point it's still for the a/v nuts to have the latest and as far as the masses buying new big screens and bluray players, so what these same people wouldn't know if their unit or as said previously their new TV was working properly. As long as they turn on and off their happy. In Vegas I have not walked into one house that sports a real home theater.
Mostly I see a large TV with home theater in a box junk that sounds awful with no set up standards period, the tvs are even worse.

Anyway I decided to send in my Pioneer dv59-avi player to Joseph Chow at Componentplus-USA and have it upgraded to reduce noise etc. this will keep me happy for another few years
I think you should buy a BD player too. You seem like an enthusiast, you owe it to your hobby - take the plunge.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #27
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @home playing my PS3.
Posts: 10
Default Re: Video Road Hogs Stir Fear of Internet Traffic Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
Here's one for the pundits who think that downloads are going to make BD obsolete.

From The New York Times - March 13, 2008: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/technology/13net.html
LMAO at hd dvd fanbois and anti-Sony nerds that still play the digital downloads card.
Jast3r Rogu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #28
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 140
Default Re: Blu-ray Wins! But The Real Format War Has Only Just Begun

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I think you should buy a BD player too. You seem like an enthusiast, you owe it to your hobby - take the plunge.
I'll get a lower priced BR model now and later when the industry releases a high end user friendly unit I will give the cheaper one to my son.

This brings me to the question, currently which model is the most reliable in the $400-500 price range??
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #29
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 298
Default Re: Blu-ray Wins! But The Real Format War Has Only Just Begun

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
I'll get a lower priced BR model now and later when the industry releases a high end user friendly unit I will give the cheaper one to my son.

This brings me to the question, currently which model is the most reliable in the $400-500 price range??
I actually went the HTPC route because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the technology (I bought mine during the war for 189.00). Being a computer geek helped alot with this project. I always hear the hype about the playstation, but I can't get over buying a gaming machine for a BD player when others perform better in other areas. The PS3 is probrably the most "future proof", but according to people on the BD forum, all profiles should be able to play all BD's (now whether thats the truth is another story). I hear good things about the Panasonic, maybe you should try one of those.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #30
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 298
Default Re: Video Road Hogs Stir Fear of Internet Traffic Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast3r Rogu3 View Post
LMAO at hd dvd fanbois and anti-Sony nerds that still play the digital downloads card.
Basiclly - the issue of downloads and On-demand is very real and very relevant. On-demand presents more of a threat ,now that 2009 is approaching fast. Many people that never had cable are convinced that the must get cable or sat. service inorder to receive broadcast. This is what will hurt Blockbuster, Movie Gallery ect. Average Joes will begin to rent off of the On-demand sevices rather than go out to rent. I haven't used my Blockbuster card in over 2 years!

Kennyt has said some great things about this concerning convineince. Easy of use and easy access sells today. Look at the success of the Ipod - its fidelity is lower than that of CD's, but it has gained soo much popularity that High-end companies such as Krell, JMLabs, and others are making products dedicated to the tiny little Ipod. It's not that HD-DVD "fanbois" and anti-Sony people don't want to see BD succeed at all cost (although some do) - its just about variety - the spice of life. The next few years will be exciting for technology!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
begun, blue, bluray, format, movie, play, players, quotes, ray, real, resume, summers, support, war, wins

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After Winning the Format War, Blu-ray’s Future Looks Bright Ken S Blu-ray Players 1 03-14-2008 09:53 AM
Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week. TheMoose Blu-ray Software 203 02-27-2008 01:21 PM
The War is Over!!! Blu-Ray is the Format to Beat Now. Bam Bam Blu-ray Software 16 02-25-2008 05:44 PM
WB goes Blu-Ray exclusive! What does this mean for the war? TheMoose Blu-ray Software 5 01-07-2008 03:45 PM
HD DVD wins the format war! kennyt HD DVD Software & Hardware 12 12-02-2007 12:34 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1