Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-25-2008   #19

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: Studios Are Trying to Stop DVDs From Fading to Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
From The New York Times, Monday February 25, 2008:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/25/bu...dia/25dvd.html

Partial quote: "But the victory of Sony’s new Blu-ray high-definition disc over a rival format, Toshiba’s HD DVD, masks a problem facing the studios: the overall decline of the DVD market. Domestic DVD sales fell 3.2 percent last year to $15.9 billion, according to Adams Media Research, the first annual drop in the medium’s history. Adams projects another decline in 2008, to $15.4 billion, and a similar dip for 2009.

So instead of celebrating the Blu-ray format — which remains a nascent business — the studios are scrambling to introduce an array of initiatives aimed at propping up the broader market. Some efforts, like the addition of new interactive features and changes in how DVDs are packaged and promoted, are intended to prevent further market erosion while nurturing Blu-ray. "
________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________

Don't these people realize that the economy is faltering and most people do not have discretionary income for this kind of purchase? People are losing their homes!
Ken,

Here are the issues as I see them. Of course,YMMV.

1. [Direct quote from the NYT article] "Technology companies have watered down the DVD market by aggressively pushing Internet downloads."

2. [Direct quote from the NYT article] “Wal-Mart has indicated it is getting bored with older library titles,” said Stephen Prough, the co-founder of Salem Partners, a small investment bank that specializes in film catalogs. “When there is little to no consumer demand at a $6 price point, you’ve got problems.”

3. Now, let me point you to http://tinyurl.com/38fwjq. Please read this. The significant information here is:

"Decisions by the FCC and the courts in 2003, 2005 and 2006 relaxed or eliminated most last-mile broadband regulation. Some work remains at the state utility commission level. But today, Verizon is investing $23 billion in new fiber-to-the-home links. AT&T is spending billions more on fiber-to-the-neighborhood and greenfield FTTH."

"Cable companies -- whose broadband services were always mostly unregulated and thus gained the broadband lead versus telecom -- will have to respond in kind. As Verizon and AT&T leapfrog cable's broadband speeds of around 6Mbit/sec., cable will have to transfer more and more of its generous network capacity from TV programming to broadband service. Already, we are seeing cable systems offer 15 or even 30Mbit service. Within a year or two, millions of Americans will have access to broadband every bit as good as world leaders Korea and Hong Kong."

And for those who believe 50 MB to 100MB is years off, (1) You are wrong {obviously none of you making these comments work in the networking industry}; and (2) We have a home in a small rural western North Carolina town of about 6,000, and we get currently get 15 MB DSL, over copper, from Embarq for $29.95/month. Sooner or later either they or our cable provider (Charter) is going to bite the bullet and make fibre available.

This is what is affecting the DVD market here in the US. The DVD sky is beginning to fall, but the studios and DVD companies don't know it nor will admit it yet.

Why? There are no good marketing people working for any of the Hollywood studios. So they don't get it: They think they can change what professional marketers call primary demand and no one can change primary demand - This would be akin to trying to market 28.8 kBps dial-up in today's world of 15 MB DSL.

The few tech companies I've worked with for understand this. The few Hollywood exec's I've talked to only think of technology in terms of DRM and MacroVision: They simply do not understand or want to know about the downloading paradigm shift that is coming. And their eyes glaze over if you try and discuss Broadband Networking with them - They are still intensely focused on DVD's because they control everything from the manufacturing to the distribution and they like having this control.

I do think that somewhere back in the vacant recesses of what they claim is their brain a few of them do realize they will lose much of this control once Joe and Susie start downloading - At this point, their only control will be in producing and providing the content and deciding on what DRM rights to assign to the content.

This is why I think we are reading articles like the NYT article you referenced.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #20

Smile Re: Studios Are Trying to Stop DVDs From Fading to Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Rules! View Post
. . . And for those who believe 50 MB to 100MB is years off, (1) You are wrong {obviously none of you making these comments work in the networking industry}; and (2) We have a home in a small rural western North Carolina town of about 6,000, and we get currently get 15 MB DSL, over copper, from Embarq for $29.95/month. Sooner or later either they or our cable provider (Charter) is going to bite the bullet and make fibre available. . .
Just a quick side note to this. My office building is getting Verizon FIOS "any day now" with promised speeds of 45MB. The hardware is here, they are just working out some billing controversies with tenants. . .
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #21

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Unhappy We Are a 3rd World Country Re: Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Just a quick side note to this. My office building is getting Verizon FIOS "any day now" with promised speeds of 45MB. The hardware is here, they are just working out some billing controversies with tenants. . .
Too bad you don't live in Japan.

For the foreseeable future, the US will continue to lag behind other parts of the world in connection speeds.

---------------

February 26, 2008 (IDG News Service) Japan has launched a satellite that is able to provide high-speed Internet connections to homes and offices at speeds rivaling those of today's fiber-optic connections.

The satellite launched Saturday, called Kizuna, is part of the government's e-Japan project, and its modest aim is the creation of the world's most advanced information and telecommunications network.

It will be able to provide broadband Internet connections to homes with download speeds of up to 155Mbit/sec. and upload speeds of 6Mbit/sec. The services will be delivered via 45-centimeter dish antennas, which are about the same size as those used for digital direct-to-home (DTH) satellite TV services in many countries.

Even faster connections at download speeds of around 1.2Gbit/sec. will be offered to commercial users via 5-meter antennas.

There are two antennas on the satellite, one serving Japan and one aimed at the Asia-Pacific region as a whole. These multibeam antennas efficiently divide up the satellite's signal into multiple beams so the limited frequencies available can be reused in many different areas, according to the Japanese government.

To help route signals between beams, the satellite carries an Asynchronous Transfer Mode switch.

The domestic Internet services will be primarily aimed at rural areas that are not served by fiber-optic Internet services.

Fiber Internet connections are pervasive in built-up areas of Japan, and a 100Mbit/sec. connection costs around $40 per month, but in rural areas, slower Digital Subscriber Line connections are typically as fast as the Internet gets.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #22

Post Video Road Hogs Stir Fear of Internet Traffic Jam

Here's one for the pundits who think that downloads are going to make BD obsolete.

From The New York Times - March 13, 2008: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/technology/13net.html
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #23

Default Re: Video Road Hogs Stir Fear of Internet Traffic Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
Here's one for the pundits who think that downloads are going to make BD obsolete.

From The New York Times - March 13, 2008: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/technology/13net.html
Tsk, Tsk. The internet is not the only means of delivering HD content. You must remember that Cable TV already offers On-Demand. I have also viewed (and saved to my PVR) HD Movies. The issue is not internet downloads only, but it includes the ablility to bring HD content into the home in a convienient and efficient manner. The Average Joe that may aquire HD capability will make fewer visits to the local Blockbuster if he can just click a button and receive his HD content directly to his box. This saves on gas (no need to travel with gas approaching $3.50 a gallon), its instantly convinenent, and it delivers HD content.

I know, all of the nice new codecs and such are not available - but more than likely - Joe average doesn't have the system to properly decode this anyway. My wife couldn't tell the difference between HD and SD until compared side by side (I could see it instantly) - and even then she didn't care!

I can possibly see BD becoming what vinyl is today. A nich that never dies (that's a good thing). I've looked at a nice phonograph that I owned years ago - it was a classic Denon. I bought it from someone in the military for $150.00....It sells for over $400.00 now - used (wish I hadn't sold it).

How many of us on this forum own a cd player that's separated into transport and DAC (yeah, Kennyt, I believe you do if you have Wadia gear)! But real world - not many - but it hasn't died - I want an analog tube stage CD player myself (plan to get it this summer).

Convinence and convergence are the key to the average joe's heart - and if HD On-demand, by either cable,sat, or internet delivers, they will win the affections of Average Joe's everywhere and leave BD to people who participate in forums like this - people like you and me.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #24

Default Re: Blu-ray Wins! But The Real Format War Has Only Just Begun

I won't be getting a bluray unit for at least 1 year and maybe more!

I still think they're more trouble than they're worth. Check out the AVS form where they have at least 4 threads on the latest Denon 3800 bluray MSLP $2000.00 player and you'll find most people don't have the skill or patience to properly set up and play the units.

At this point it's still for the a/v nuts to have the latest and as far as the masses buying new big screens and bluray players, so what these same people wouldn't know if their unit or as said previously their new TV was working properly. As long as they turn on and off their happy. In Vegas I have not walked into one house that sports a real home theater.
Mostly I see a large TV with home theater in a box junk that sounds awful with no set up standards period, the tvs are even worse.

Anyway I decided to send in my Pioneer dv59-avi player to Joseph Chow at Componentplus-USA and have it upgraded to reduce noise etc. this will keep me happy for another few years
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
begun, blue, bluray, format, movie, play, players, quotes, ray, real, resume, summers, support, war, wins