Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Moving Exclusively Toward Blu-ray Format Movies and Players by June (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/1578-wal-mart-moving-exclusively-toward-blu-ray-format-movies-players-june.html)

AVRevForum.com 02-15-2008 05:38 PM

Wal-Mart Moving Exclusively Toward Blu-ray Format Movies and Players by June

Wal-Mart Stores, U.S. today announces that its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores will move forward this year with one hi-definition movie and hardware format: Blu-ray. The change will take place quickly over the next several months whereby the retailer will phase out HD DVD offerings and reorganize shelf space. By June, Wal-Mart stores, Sam's Clubs, www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com will offer only Blu-ray movies and hardware machines, as well as standard definition movies and DVD players, and up converts.

"We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary Severson, senior vice president, Home Entertainment, Wal-Mart, U.S. "With the customers best interest in all we do, we wanted to share our decision and timeline with them as soon as possible, knowing it will help simplify their purchase decision, increase selection, and increase adoption long term. We anticipate enhancing our selection with continued great values in hi-definition Blu-ray products, so our customers can further enhance their entertainment experience at home."

Wal-Mart will continue to sell through remaining HD DVD product, but in less than 30 days customers will see a more predominant move toward Blu-ray in stores, clubs and online. As the nation's largest retailer, Wal-Mart thoughtfully reviewed all areas and impact in making its decision, and is excited to move forward with one format and share its future plans with customers.

JerryDelColliano 02-15-2008 05:43 PM

Re: Wal-Mart Moving Exclusively Toward Blu-ray Format Movies and Players by June

The pile-on continues....

j

kennyt 02-15-2008 05:49 PM

Re: Wal-Mart Moving Exclusively Toward Blu-ray Format Movies and Players by June

I think we can safely declare a winner in Blu-ray.

Companies are dropping like flies from HD DVD.

TheMoose 02-15-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 11423)
The pile-on continues....

j

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 11425)
I think we can safely declare a winner in Blu-ray.

Companies are dropping like flies from HD DVD.

What do your sources say Jerry?
It looks to be over but when will it be official?

faberryman 02-15-2008 07:46 PM

The Walmarts in my area don't have any HD-DVD or Bluray discs much less HD-DVD or Bluray players. They have several dual VHS/DVD decks and some DVD players from $39 to $79. I doubt seriously they are going to be carrying any $300-$600 Bluray players in their stores anytime soon. Online, Walmart lists only the PS3 and the Sony S300 Bluray players, and Sam's Club only shows the PS3.

TheMoose 02-15-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberryman (Post 11431)
The Walmarts in my area don't have any HD-DVD or Bluray discs much less HD-DVD or Bluray players. They have several dual VHS/DVD decks and some DVD players from $39 to $79. I doubt seriously they are going to be carrying any $300-$600 Bluray players in their stores anytime soon. Online, Walmart lists only the PS3 and the Sony S300 Bluray players, and Sam's Club only shows the PS3.

Some of the Wal-Marts in my area carry them & some don't, they all carry the PS3.
I was in a Sams club today & they had a rack of Blu-Ray movies & they carried the PS3 & a standalone player (I didn't notice which one).
They also had a large endcap with the Sony HDNA display.

Maybe with just 1 format they will all start carrying them now.

I wonder if it's a decision made in Bentonville or the individual managers decide on what to stock?