Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-11-2008   #25

Default Re: Netflix to Stop Renting Movies on HD DVD Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcos View Post
I don't understand the business decision based on their metrics point. Did their metrics tell them that no one would want American Gangster or Beowulf in HD? Makes no sense.
Like I said it's speculative and it's not about single specific titles or individual customer preferences. It would be about percentages and cost per unit. Netflix needs to make money, like any other business, so if their metrics are saying Format X's discs aren't renting, are taking up shelf space, and/or costing too much per unit based on lack of rentals, then they're going to drop Format X. It's simple supply and demand.
nsrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrii View Post
Like I said it's speculative and it's not about single specific titles or individual customer preferences. It would be about percentages and cost per unit. Netflix needs to make money, like any other business, so if their metrics are saying Format X's discs aren't renting, are taking up shelf space, and/or costing too much per unit based on lack of rentals, then they're going to drop Format X. It's simple supply and demand.
I understand it's speculative, and if they wouldn't have made their statement about raising HD prices last week, I'd trust them a bit more.

As I see it, there is really no reason to drop HD releases from 2 major studios. The discs fit in the same envelopes, and judging by waiting times, have been in demand.

As it stands, the game is just about over. I just don't think Blu-ray is as ready as HD DVD right now, and to me, it's a shame that the competition likely won't be around to keep them on their toes (fewer sales on software, slower price drops on hardware, more need to move toward finalized profiles).

I hope I'm wrong about progress on these fronts, but for this consumer, Blu-ray does not offer a player that appeals to me at all right now...but they won, so they must be what's best for consumers, right?
jpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #27

Netflix is not stopping delivery of HD-DVDs tomorrow. They are stopping the purchase of new HD-DVD titles. They said they would continue to deliver HD-DVDs through the end of the year, when presumably the studios will have begun reissuing their HD-DVD titles on Bluray. It makes sense for Netflix not to buy new titles on a dead format knowing that they will just have to replace them with Bluray discs. One year seems a reasonable transition time for their customers. I'm looking forward to enjoying eleven more months of HD-DVDs. Hopefully by that time several Bluray 2.0 players will be available to chose from.

I am not a Sony fan. I was hoping that HD-DVD would prevail. I bet my money on it. But if Bluray is the winner by whatever means, so be it. The faster the transition the better.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocksout View Post
He didn't make an argument, he made a baseless claim with nothing to back it up.

There was no Blockbuster payoff either. There was also no Target payoff.

You see how people spin things? Target went to Sony about the endcap. Sony paid for it, but they didn't pay them off. That was also not in the summer, it was in the Holiday run-up.

There were no reports of a Blockbuster pay off at all. Pure speculation.
Wait you're telling me that BlockBuster doesn't get BDs at 25% less than their competition?

ARE YOU SURE?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Wait you're telling me that BlockBuster doesn't get BDs at 25% less than their competition?

ARE YOU SURE?
Are you sure?
If you are can you actually prove it?
Can you prove Best Buy & Netflix were paid off?
I'd like to see facts even if it doesn't really matter to me if they did.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
They were paid to carry only Sony stand alone bluray players and not Toshiba hddvd players. End of story. Sony paid for more than an end cap.
That's not what Target said. That's what online fanboys said.

Tags
arab, blockbuster, dvd, dvds, format, fuck, hd, make, movie, movies, netflix, rented, renting, standarddefinition, stop, stopping, video