Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-31-2008   #7

Default Re: Harvey's Closes Flagship Manhattan Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I have mixed emotions on the news. Part of me still has fond memories of going with my dad to the Harvey's in Paramus back in the mid 80's where I got my first stereo system (a Yamaha receiver and a Denon CD player.) That said, the only guys in the Manhattan store I dealt with were jerks. When I was researching front projectors 3 or so years ago I specifically mentioned that I was looking for something affordable. The salespersons first recommendation was a $10k plus unit (Sharp 10k perhaps?) My response was by saying doesn't that unit cost about the same as its model number? I said I was looking for something affordable. He then suggested that he might still have one of the previous models (8k?) available for a couple grand less. I rolled my eyes at him and moved on. I know that they couldn't pay the rent selling $1500 LCD units, but their elitist attitude was really over the top.
This is disgusting. I wish more customers would let the ownership of stores know about this behavior. Bad salesmen who don't want to "waste" their time with clients willing to spend any money is just bad. If that sales person talked to one just like you the same way every week and scared away customers that is thousands of dollars of profit not just scared off but ticked off.

Good salesmen know that helping you and treating you like the $10K spender means more money for them in the long run. Being a salesman at a High End store is a longterm investment opportunity for sales people.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #8

No question. But, unfortunately, especially in the high end, we have these prevailing attitudes among our sales people. And even the management. It is this attitude, that for many years has prevented the high end community from moving further.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #9

I was there last month inquiring about the new Marantz sr-8002.
They were very helpful and professional.
I've visited that store back in the mid 80's and just last year bought a Marantz sr-8001 from their paramus store for a very good price.
They will be missed.
ESavinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #10

I purchased my first set of Polk SDA 2.3 when they were in the Westbury L.I. store back in 1990. They closed shop there in the mid 90's and moved to Greenvale L.I. My guess is they were in heavy competition with a Bestbuy a bit down the road from them. It is just sad. These Bestbuy/CC sales people have absolutely no knowledge of good sound advice when it comes to the world of Audio/Video. I was recently in a Large box chain retalier a few weeks ago to demo a new pair of speakers, and the poor salesman did not even know how to work the equipment for the demo. That is very sad
lifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I have mixed emotions on the news. Part of me still has fond memories of going with my dad to the Harvey's in Paramus back in the mid 80's where I got my first stereo system (a Yamaha receiver and a Denon CD player.) That said, the only guys in the Manhattan store I dealt with were jerks. When I was researching front projectors 3 or so years ago I specifically mentioned that I was looking for something affordable. The salespersons first recommendation was a $10k plus unit (Sharp 10k perhaps?) My response was by saying doesn't that unit cost about the same as its model number? I said I was looking for something affordable. He then suggested that he might still have one of the previous models (8k?) available for a couple grand less. I rolled my eyes at him and moved on. I know that they couldn't pay the rent selling $1500 LCD units, but their elitist attitude was really over the top.

I have been in A/V stores where I got the "attitude" from the sales guys but I have always been treated with nothing but respect in that Harvey's store. I go in a few times a year, hardly enough for them to know me, and they have been very pleasant and helpful. They are in the mid to high-end home theater business. Why be mad at them for not stocking the lower end stuff?
No Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #12

Thumbs down Re: Harvey's Closes Flagship Manhattan Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Clue View Post
I have been in A/V stores where I got the "attitude" from the sales guys but I have always been treated with nothing but respect in that Harvey's store. I go in a few times a year, hardly enough for them to know me, and they have been very pleasant and helpful. They are in the mid to high-end home theater business. Why be mad at them for not stocking the lower end stuff?
I'm certainly not mad at them for not stocking the lower end stuff. Re-read my post and that should be clear. As I said, I am well aware the profit margins are just not there on the $1,500 lcd units. What I was upset about was the fact that when I went there as part of my front projector research and specifically mentioned that I was looking for an "affordable" unit, he immediately suggested a $10,000 model. It was if he didn't care what I was looking for and had the attitude that you couldn't really get quality for less. That's what upset me the most. I hate when people lie to me. I know very well that a 10k projector does not perform 5 times better than a 2k model...even 3 years ago. Just tell me that they don't carry the lower priced models. Or show me a 3k or 4k model and explain why it might be a better investment. But don't treat me like an idiot and tell me that a $10,000 projector is going to fit the needs of someone looking for something affordable.
broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, city, dcm, furniture, harvey, new, nyc, parts, professional, retail, stores, time, video, window, york