Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-18-2008   #13

Default Re: Apple HD Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

I think (and I'm prepared for hate mail) that the AppleTV represents a stronger value proposition even in the face of non 1080p support at the present time then most of today's high def disc spinners for it is far more versatile and allows users to digitally catalog their SD disc collection for convenient playback at a price far more affordable then say Kaleidoscape or even a mass DVD changer.

The conversation then turns to disc space which is far more affordable then most high end players and something that represents a larger, more long term investment for we always need more space on our computers, whereas my High Def VHS player is now a boat anchor in my garage.
I'm not originally an Apple fan, but I'm quickly becoming one - no hate mail from me I'm in agreement with you (this coming from a pc type guy)!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Moose,

Funny, when I was speaking to the head of Digital Playground the other day and discussing downloading in full 1080p as the future, his point was exactly that, the added cost of using all that bandwidth! This is why Apple is charging more for them, and right now at least is the limiting factor holding the idea back.

To effectively get 1080p downloads we need a leap in bandwidth, good thing they are soon laying fiber optic cable in my neighborhood!!!
AT&T is getting ready to run fiber in my neighborhood also. That will be sweet! I also believe that the cable companies will jump on this faster than the internet providers - Mediacom is already doing VIP service (video,internet, and phone) HD on-demand is the only thing left to do (I love my Starz HD that I get with just the basic HD package let alone the other HD channels). That's very convienient. Originally I though that they wouldn't allow me to record the HD movies to my HDD but I was wrong. It's just wonderful!
Old 01-18-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
To effectively get 1080p downloads we need a leap in bandwidth, good thing they are soon laying fiber optic cable in my neighborhood!!!
Is it cable fiber or FIOS?
From what I'm hearing FIOS could lure me away from Sat but there is no telling when it will get to me since I'm out in the country.

For the Record I've got the DirecTV on demand beta & it's downloaded over my DSL line, not over the Sat.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Is it cable fiber or FIOS?
From what I'm hearing FIOS could lure me away from Sat but there is no telling when it will get to me since I'm out in the country.

For the Record I've got the DirecTV on demand beta & it's downloaded over my DSL line, not over the Sat.
How is Comcast offering 1080p on Demand?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
How is Comcast offering 1080p on Demand?
From what I'm hearing everything is going according to plan. I have a bit of new news, since Comcast announcement - Cox Cable is also announcing that it will be offering HD Movies on Demand (I don't know if they are in 1080p or not). They only have 20 movies right now but expect to have over 1000 by the end of the year.

P.S. to answer your question - Comcast is using the VUDU box so you will have your move sent to the box within 4 minutes or faster - XstreamHD also has an offering.

Last edited by prerich; 01-18-2008 at 12:48 PM..
Old 01-18-2008   #18

From the iTunes website:

"When you download movies from iTunes, you get a 640-by-480-pixel image* that’s great for watching on your computer and positively brilliant on your iPod or iPhone. "

*Exact resolution depends on aspect ratio.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080i1080p, apple, att, bitrates, format, hd, hdtv, kaleidoscape, movie, music, resolution, servers, uverse, video, videos