Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-25-2008   #403

Exclamation Studios Are Trying to Stop DVDs From Fading to Black

From The New York Times, Monday February 25, 2008:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/25/bu...dia/25dvd.html

Partial quote: "But the victory of Sony’s new Blu-ray high-definition disc over a rival format, Toshiba’s HD DVD, masks a problem facing the studios: the overall decline of the DVD market. Domestic DVD sales fell 3.2 percent last year to $15.9 billion, according to Adams Media Research, the first annual drop in the medium’s history. Adams projects another decline in 2008, to $15.4 billion, and a similar dip for 2009.

So instead of celebrating the Blu-ray format — which remains a nascent business — the studios are scrambling to introduce an array of initiatives aimed at propping up the broader market. Some efforts, like the addition of new interactive features and changes in how DVDs are packaged and promoted, are intended to prevent further market erosion while nurturing Blu-ray. "
________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ _____

Don't these people realize that the economy is faltering and most people do not have discretionary income for this kind of purchase? People are losing their homes!
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #404

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
This is why i think downloads will take a large leap in bandwidth to beat Blu-ray, I want the lossless audio!!!!
Ken,

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

What you want is irrelevant to the people at Verizon I keep in touch with.

They DO plan is to have 50 MB to 100 MB speeds available in most of their metro areas within the next 24 (or less) months. But the best they plan to offer for hi-rez video is 720p and the current lossy DD sound you find on regular DVD's.

Why? Because they look at Apple, XM, Sirius, HD Radio, etc., and they are convinced there is NOT a "business case" to justify the extra bandwidth that would be necessary to offer 1080p video and the lossless audio tracks available with Blue Ray. They plan to reserve this bandwidth for interactive gaming services and other yet-to-be-determined uses that will be offered on a pay-per-use basis.

People like us who want 1080p video and loss less audio are an insignificant market to them. Really. We get lumped into the same category as the people who still buy vinyl LP's. There is no money to be made from us because we are considered a enthusiast fringe market segment.

Never forget these companies are marketing their products and services to the lowest common denominator, and that is Joe and Susie, not the people who read your magazines and post in these forums.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #405

VR,

While I fear you are right, I still want more!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #406

If everything we are hearing hear is too come to fruition, what other sources (other than HD/BD) will be available to at least offer any of the new high-rez audio formats? Can satellite, cable or the even the new downloads offer bitstreamed TrueHD and DTS-HD--or will these also become niche offerings like SACD and DVD-A? Thanks.

-Chris
goldear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #407

While I think Blu Ray will be much larger than a niche offering, it will never be as large as DVD's are (and were). The sad fact is that most people feel that "lossy" audio downloads are fine--which they probably are for the majority of crappy pop music and for the large quantity of people with untrained listening, not to mention the fact that most people don't have high quality speakers and listening rooms. Since most pop and rock recordings are sooo dramatically boosted and compressed by the mastering engineers (shame on them)that seem to think that most people don't mind missing pianissimo's that gradually build to great forte's, along with hearing the space and sensitivity between notes, great audio is probably doomed to being a niche market--except for well-made concert discs and folksy to classical music. There are almost no dynamics in hip hop. And many rock groups and pop groups have very little delicacy to their recordings. It often is just a roar.

While I think most people can discern the difference between high quality video and film, I fear that most are fine with upconverting DVD algorithms that fill in the empty pixels when going from 480p to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Most people aren't cineophiles that want to see the delicacy of shadows and the sharpness of real life 20/20 pictures.

If the audiophiles that buy expensive kits don't support Blu Ray and the videophiles/cineophiles that buy the latest 1080p HDTV's and front projectors don't buy equipment and discs that show off their investments to their best ability, it makes you wonder why they bought them in the first place.

Yes, I agree that currently Blu Ray doesn't have the same featuresets that were available with the better Toshiba HD players, but they will soon. By the end of the year they will probably be a number of models that surpass the best of HD and HD upconverting for SD.

It will liekely be a number of years before people are able to get the same performance from downloads, with the same great audio codecs and totally uncompressed video.

I agree with Ken S and Kenny T---I want the best of both worlds. I hope we aren't just tilting at windmills.

Greg

The people that want the "Full Monty" of the best audio codecs and the best 1080p discs rendered as perfectly as currently possible in the film and video field are undoubtedly less than 10% of the population.

The best chance Blu Ray has in both audio discs and video is for those that say they honestly want that to support it. Let's get over hurt feelings on Toshiba HD because the alternative is a world where people are forced to listen and view the products that the artists produced not in the way they mostly desired. I guess most people don't care if they see the fine brush strokes of the Mona Lisa or the equivalent in audio and video (or film). The sad thing is this is the realm where the REAL emotion lies.
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldear View Post
If everything we are hearing hear is too come to fruition, what other sources (other than HD/BD) will be available to at least offer any of the new high-rez audio formats? Can satellite, cable or the even the new downloads offer bitstreamed TrueHD and DTS-HD--or will these also become niche offerings like SACD and DVD-A? Thanks.

-Chris
I'm in the process of answering those questions now, that proposed box is probrably going to be the best think I've come up with yet. You will receive an email from me tonight or tomorrow. P.S. What color is your gear? I know the tact is silver. (Since you live at a distance, I'm not taking any chances)

Last edited by prerich; 02-26-2008 at 10:24 AM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom