Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-18-2008   #337

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotstudios View Post
I got this news today in my email and was just checking to see if anyone has heard that the format war is really over? Is blue-ray the winner? Is HD-DVD really stopping production? View the link for details.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2598.html
As of this morning CNN states that Toshiba's annoncement is forthcoming - the "war" is over. But really, think about it - no real causalities for those who got into HD-DVD on the cheap - good upconverter, especially for those with large DVD collections (I wouldn't buy all of my DVD's over again in either format - only new stuff and Disney stuff - with the exception of the 10 Commandments and Ben-Hur). I got into Blu-ray on the cheap also (189.00-pc model). Now I will wait and see if software prices will fall (I haven't bought any HD software since Christmas - nothing I really wanted to see - seems like Disney stopped puttiing things out after Christmas but, when the National Treasure movies come out - those are must buys for me - clean, exciting - with no f-bombs - personal preference).

P.S. for everyone that does the PC thing - you can rip your BD's to your HDD and play the .mt2 files back in Windows Media Player 11.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #338

Well, if its done, its just done.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Watch out prerich, once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
I beg to differ. I don't know if I'll "go back" to Windows, but I haven't found any compelling advantages with my Macbook.
Old 02-18-2008   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Let me put this into perspective. Many of us waited for the bluray launch to get a player since they did have more studio support. My first HDM player was bluray. I would have waited till Dec. instead of June if they would have bothered to launch a complete product out of the gate which everyone assumed was the case from day one as 99% of products are launched with specs completed. The **** poor product out the gate is what caused me and many others to switch.

I feel bad for those that paid $1000-$1500 for a new player and will come to find even firmware upgrades will not allow them to play future titles due to how rapidly the BDJ interface has changed.

This association is the master of spin

Why did you launch an incomplete product?

We had no choice, hddvd was launching with a full spec and fullbackward compatibility!!

Why do your initial titles look so bad?

It is the Samsung DNR chip in that player and it is reducing the resolution to that of an upconverted dvd. There is nothing wrong with our masters and they look fantastic.

Why won't you guarantee compatibility of 1.0 players and future titles?

The consumer knew what he was getting into!

If these companies do not stand behind their product and make sure of compatability with all future(I realize the PIP, web stuff won't play but the title needs to) titles they deserve to get their asses sued off!!!
I'm in agreement with the Samsung lawsuit, but beside them and their two models (1000,1200) what other bluray player made to date can't play every movie released to date?

Your post could lead someone to believe that the issue is widespread throughout every Blu player.
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #341

According to a BetaNews report from CES 2008, BDA representatives on the show floor would not confirm compatibility of older hardware with newer titles:

I think that pretty much sums it up. There are a lot of titles that have not been launched yet.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #342

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Not true, bandwidth, which transfers all those bit, does cost, and this is why Apple charges more for their HD downloads, it uses more bandwidth.
Ken, I respectfully disagree.

Apple pays the same price for their bandwidth no matter what they send over it.

I will concede it takes a bit more time to transmit a larger HD file than a smaller SD file, but I can assure you they are charging a premium for the HD download NOT because it takes a bit longer to transmit, but because they believe there is added value for their consumers who choose to spend the extra $$$ for the HD download.

And if consumers choose to download enough HD, then HD will become a significant part of Apple's offering.

And for those of you who have mentioned how expensive "big" bandwidth is, well, I just received an offer from Embarq (former Sprint/Earthlink carrier) today to upgrade from my current 5MB download speed to 10MB speed for only an extra $10/month.

Bandwidth costs, both now and in the future, are NOT going to be an impediment to the adaption of HD downloads to consumers who would rather buy their content this way than buy the physical media.

As always, YMMV, of course. But pleeease, don't keep constructing the idiotic argument that bandwidth speeds and bandwitch costs are going to limit the quick adaption of HD downloads in the major metro markets. It ain't gonna' happen with the Telco's and the Cable Companies competing to steal each others customers!

Now, for those who live in the sticks, like Bug Tussle, OK, or Beargrass, NC, well, high speed will not be visiting you anytime soon. So these out-of-the-way, backwoods markets will be Blue Ray's best hope for market success as Steve Jobs makes his millions on major metro market HD downloads.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom