Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-17-2008   #331

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

last week i have a bad discussion with another member for this forum and disafortunately that person couldn't keep a distance for coherency discussion about hd dvd is suppose a fellow ranger' hey buddy' i think you lost about hd dvd but i tell you hd dvd is supposed closed in japan the plant the bluray is win virtually toshiba lost $100.000.000 bill to built the hd dvd machine and the software is completley stop to recording is not available to sale how about that, i'm sorry for the rest of the prestigious forum but this guy is suppose a fellow ranger is lost forever,and one more thing 'i will active so many deploy around the world and i know a infantery and i tell you is not a looks like but i do to sucess job ok and next time to try to insult a fellow ranger you disgrase the good name a RANGER one of the RANGER values do not disrespect to another fellow ranger,and remember 'RANGERS LEAD THE WAY' ok how about that.
luisranger2bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #332

I got this news today in my email and was just checking to see if anyone has heard that the format war is really over? Is blue-ray the winner? Is HD-DVD really stopping production? View the link for details.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2598.html
1shotstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #333

From Associated press

Toshiba May Pull Plug on HD DVD Format

By YURI KAGEYAMA

TOKYO (AP) Toshiba may pull the plug on its HD DVD business, the Japanese electronics maker said Monday, in what would signal the almost certain defeat of its next-generation video format to rival Blu-ray technology.

Toshiba Corp. said that no decision has been made but acknowledged it had started a review of its HD DVD business strategy. The company statement was issued after weekend reports from Japanese media, including Kyodo News, that Toshiba is studying a possible withdrawal from HD DVD.

A company official, speaking on condition of anonymity as she is not authorized to speak on the matter, said a board meeting could be held as soon as Tuesday, where a decision is likely.

HD DVD has been competing against Blu-ray disc technology, backed by Sony Corp., Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, five major Hollywood movie studios and others.

Only one high-definition video format has been expected to emerge as the winner, much like VHS trumped Sony's Betamax in the video format battle of the 1980s.

Despite the reports, Toshiba's stock soared 6.4 percent in morning trading. The gain underlines how the market is welcoming the relatively quick decision as lessening the potential damage in losses in the HD DVD operations, despite the blow to Toshiba's prestige.

The news of the possible demise of HD DVD also prompted Nikko Citigroup analysts to raise their rating on Toshiba to Buy from Neutral, noting that Toshiba was making a smart move.

"On the earnings front, its operating profit will likely gain by 20 percent from the next fiscal year," said analyst Hiroyuki Masuko.

The reasons behind Blu-ray's apparent triumph over HD DVD are complex, analysts said, as marketing, management maneuvers and other factors are believed to have played into the shift to Blu-ray's favor that became more decisive during the critical holiday shopping season.

Recently, the Blu-ray disc format has been gaining market share, especially in Japan, where studies showed more than 80 percent of the purchases were Blu-ray.

On Friday, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. retailer, said it will sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware and no longer carry HD DVD offerings.

The announcement came five days after Netflix Inc. said it will cease carrying rentals in HD DVD. Several major U.S. retailers have made similar decisions, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.

The decision of movie studios was also key.

Last month, Warner Bros. Entertainment decided to release movie discs only in the Blu-ray format, becoming the latest studio to reject HD DVD.

That left only Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures and General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures as exclusive supporters of HD DVD.

In addition to Warner Bros., Blu-ray is now backed by Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Co. and News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox.

Both formats deliver crisp, clear high-definition pictures and sound, but they are incompatible with each other, and neither plays on older DVD players.

HD DVD was touted as being cheaper because it was more similar to previous video technology, while Blu-ray boasted bigger recording capacity than HD DVD.

Adding to Blu-ray's momentum was the gradual increase in sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 home video-game console, which also works as a Blu-ray player. Sony has sold 10.5 million PS3 machines worldwide since the machine went on sale late 2006.

But PS3 sales have trailed the blockbuster Wii machine from Nintendo Co., and the game machine wasn't widely seen as that critical to the video format battle.

Its predecessor PlayStation 2 was instrumental in helping spread the popularity of old-style DVDs, but there was no comparable format rivalry at that time.

Toshiba is expected to focus its resources on its other businesses, including computer chip production, such as flash-memory, which are used in digital cameras and cell phones.

The Nikkei, Japan's top business newspaper, reported in its Monday's editions that Toshiba plans to invest as much as 1.8 trillion yen ($16.7 billion) in two plants in Japan for its flash memory business for fiscal 2008, starting April 1. Toshiba said no decision has been mad
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #334

From Reuters

Toshiba nears HD DVD surrender

By Nathan Layne

TOKYO (Reuters) - Consumers and investors cheered an impending end to a format war for next-generation DVDs on Monday, with share gains for both Toshiba, on the verge of abandoning its HD DVD discs, and Sony, the leader of the rival Blu-ray camp.

Toshiba Corp shares jumped 6.3 percent as analysts praised its move to cut its losses, while Sony Corp, whose technology is set to become the industry standard for high-definition home DVDs, rose 2.1 percent.

"It doesn't make sense for Toshiba to continue putting effort into this," said Koichi Ogawa, a chief portfolio manager at Daiwa SB Investments. "It needs to cut its losses and focus its resources on promising businesses."

Both formats have the space to hold high-definition movies, but growing support from Hollywood and big U.S. retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores has given Blu-ray a crushing lead.

However, overall sales so far have made up only a small portion of the $24 billion (12.2 billion pound) home DVD sector, as shoppers, faced with machines that played only one type of disc or the other, have held back.

"I was expecting Blu-ray to win but I was kind of waiting it out," said Masahiro Taniwaki, a 26-year-old systems engineer shopping for a Blu-ray recorder at electronics retailer Bic Camera in Tokyo.

Toshiba said on Monday that no decisions had been made on HD DVD, but a company source told Reuters on Saturday that the company was in the final stage of planning its exit.

It looks like the stock market & Toshiba investors are pressuring them to get out now.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #335

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...-war-civil-war

Interesting read on bluray launching an incomplete product. Who is to blame HDDVD of course.

According to a BetaNews report from CES 2008, BDA representatives on the show floor would not confirm compatibility of older hardware with newer titles:

When BetaNews asked developers of BD Live whether they were concerned about a backlash from early adopters who supported the format from the beginning, we were told: "They knew what they were getting into."

BetaNews: Blu-ray: Early adopters knew what they were getting into

Even BDA Promotions Chair Andy Parsons ambiguously stated that new technology changes and older hardware becomes obsolete. True, but not usually within a single standard; defeats the whole point of a standard.

The format war did manage to bring player prices down rapidly, but many early adopters dropped some considerable cash and for them to find that those expensive players dont work, on top of not having all the latest and greatest features, will certainly cause backlash

When BetaNews asked why these manufacturers rushed out players that were not fully capable and potentially buggy due to their BD-J implementation, the Blu-ray partner pointed blame across the room to HD DVD. "We should have waited another year to introduce Blu-ray to the public, but the format war changed the situation," he said. HD DVD was already coming and the BDA had no choice but to launch Blu-ray.

So, when consumers' Blu-ray players dont work right, just blame Toshiba and HD DVD - the BDA does.

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 02-18-2008 at 06:43 AM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #336

Let me put this into perspective. Many of us waited for the bluray launch to get a player since they did have more studio support. My first HDM player was bluray. I would have waited till Dec. instead of June if they would have bothered to launch a complete product out of the gate which everyone assumed was the case from day one as 99% of products are launched with specs completed. The **** poor product out the gate is what caused me and many others to switch.

I feel bad for those that paid $1000-$1500 for a new player and will come to find even firmware upgrades will not allow them to play future titles due to how rapidly the BDJ interface has changed.

This association is the master of spin

Why did you launch an incomplete product?

We had no choice, hddvd was launching with a full spec and fullbackward compatibility!!

Why do your initial titles look so bad?

It is the Samsung DNR chip in that player and it is reducing the resolution to that of an upconverted dvd. There is nothing wrong with our masters and they look fantastic.

Why won't you guarantee compatibility of 1.0 players and future titles?

The consumer knew what he was getting into!

If these companies do not stand behind their product and make sure of compatability with all future(I realize the PIP, web stuff won't play but the title needs to) titles they deserve to get their asses sued off!!!
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom