Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-08-2008   #253

Default Re: This Thread is No Longer Relevant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Rules! View Post
As I keep saying, like a broken record, the issue is NOT HD-DVD vs. Blue-Ray formats - The issue is how soon 720p VOD and iTV downloads will make these physical media obsolete.

I for one have been a firm believer in the fact that all this talk about Hi-Res disc formats is nothing more than a speed bump before the inevitable happens. The inevitable is downloadable content and I for one can't wait. Hence my frustration over how enraged folks get over the argument of "my format is better than your format". If you like HD DVD or Blu-ray makes no difference to me. Good for you, enjoy away, for it's the best you can do right now, however, if you think either format is going to have quite the success and run that DVD or VHS did you're mistaken. I would imagine threads like this will be replaced in due time with "how dare they drop Blu-ray support after I just bought my player." But that's how this industry works I guess.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #254

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Sad how we when from arguing over 1080p bitrates to highly compressed 720p downloads will be the new standard.
This is taking a big step back.
You guys may be happy with ITunes downloads but I will still prefer the superior sounding CDs and will prefer the superior looking Blurays.

The name of this site should change to the Audio/Video conformity then. :P
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
I for one have been a firm believer in the fact that all this talk about Hi-Res disc formats is nothing more than a speed bump before the inevitable happens. The inevitable is downloadable content and I for one can't wait. Hence my frustration over how enraged folks get over the argument of "my format is better than your format". If you like HD DVD or Blu-ray makes no difference to me. Good for you, enjoy away, for it's the best you can do right now, however, if you think either format is going to have quite the success and run that DVD or VHS did you're mistaken. I would imagine threads like this will be replaced in due time with "how dare they drop Blu-ray support after I just bought my player." But that's how this industry works I guess.
I firmly agree. We have absolutely no control as to what is going to happen next. The best thing to do is just let chips fall where they may. because, like usual, when they do, guess who will be picking them up??!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #256

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Andy,

You are soooo right, and you speak the truth that so many are not yet willing to acknowledge.

Unfortunately, there are many who do either do not want to hear this or believe this.

Too bad.

These people with the "ID TEN T" connector problems are the ones who will be uttering the word "fries" in their next job!
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #257

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
Sad how we when from arguing over 1080p bitrates to highly compressed 720p downloads will be the new standard.
This is taking a big step back.
You guys may be happy with ITunes downloads but I will still prefer the superior sounding CDs and will prefer the superior looking Blurays.

The name of this site should change to the Audio/Video conformity then. :P
Bootman,

Statically significant research has validated that the over 95% of listeners cannot hear the difference between between 384 mHz MP3 downloads and the the 1.444 mHz native bit rate of CD's.

Go back and preruse my former posts: Joe and Susie cannot see any difference between 720p and 1080p on their $ 1,299 Wal-Mart LCD 42" display.

So where is the "big step backwards" if the consumers who have 90+% of the CE electronics power cannot see a differnce.

What alternative universe do you inhabit? There are many Blue-Ray and HD-DVD supporters who want to move there, ASAP!

Sounds like you are one of the very few who actually think they can hear and see a difference.

Guess what? The major manufacturers don't give a rat's tutu: As I've said before, you and everyone who believes as you do don't buy enough to pay Howard Stringer's salary.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington

Last edited by Vinyl Rules!; 02-08-2008 at 10:48 PM..
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #258

Default Not everyone wants to settle for less

Ya know, there is a reason they make HDTV's bigger than 42" & with higher resolutions than 720p & there is a reason they make more than just $300 HTIB audio setups, it's because many people want the best picture & audio they can get.
Not everyone outfits their home theaters at Wal-Mart!

HDM doesn't need to drive SD-DVD out of the market, The DVD market is so huge there should be enough profit in 20% to 25% of the market for HDM to thrive & when there is one format with no confusion those people that don't want to settle for 720p will start buying players & movies.

Joe & Susie won't be downloading their movies from the internet either because if they "cannot see any difference between 720p and 1080p" on their 42" TV's you can bet they don't have a computer connection to it, I mean 40% of them are watching SD in stretch-o-vision & think they are watching HD! So yea there are a lot of people that won't care about HDM or HD downloads but we don't need all of them do we?

I know you think I should listen to you instead of believing my lying eyes but I can see a difference between upconverted SD-DVD's & Blu-Rays & I'm sure you think my ears are just imagining I can hear the difference between DTS & True HD but I can, & so can every person I've shown my system to.
I do a A/B showing of The 5th Element on DVD & Blu-Ray & people are amazed at the difference.
Oh & no my next job won't have anything to do with asking if they "want fries with that", when I retire from my current job the question I'll be asking people is "How fast do you want to go"!

So until I have a internet connection that can download a movie in 30 minutes in 1080p with lossless audio & the extras we've come to expect & I have a multi Terabyte hard drive to keep them on I'll keep deluding myself & buy my movies on Blu-Ray.
That's just my opinion, I guess time will tell who is right.

Last edited by TheMoose; 02-08-2008 at 11:35 PM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom