Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-04-2008   #229

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudAdv View Post
You wanna talk "since inception numbers? OK

Even with a one-year head start, HD DVD software has been outsold by Blu-Ray software 2:1 "since inception".

Even with a one-year head start, HD DVD has been out-released by Blu-Ray 459:381 "since inception" if you count the 32 Paramount titles that are no longer in production, but will eventually be re-released.

And in Oct '07 it was 60/40 Blu, but now, just 3 months later it's 64/36. That's an 8-point swing, not 4 (28% gap vs 20% for the mathematically challenged) in the "since inception" numbers. 8% in 3 months is HUGE. And if things keep going at more than an 80/20 split, the gap will grow a little faster.
Not sure why your post is so aggressive, but HD DVD beat Blu-ray to market by about 3 months, not one year (March 31, 2006 to June 20, 2006).

The swing in sales ratios only reinforces the point that sales have been abysmal from the start. A significant number of sales would lead to less volatility in the numbers. That may change if volumes remain increased as they were in Q4, but there is not evidence that that is happening.

Whatever. Sales between formats means little when content is not available for both. It's not actually about formats really. It's about studio exclusivity. And that's not about the consumer.
jpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
There was no national Super Bowl ad for HD-DVD, people on other sites from all over the country are saying they didn't see it either.
They ran that ad in a few local markets & people are saying most of those ads were in SD!
That's a long way from a massive ad campaign starting on the Super Bowl!

If this had been accidentally or intentionally left out of the national ads by Fox there would be news of it all over the web.

All I'm doing is posting what I saw or things that are my opinions, the only reason that is obnoxious to you is because it's the truth & it goes against what you want to happen.
The HD-DVD guys were spinning that this was going to be the start of a big comeback or something, all I did was point out that it did not happen.
if the truth hurts maybe you should post somewhere where everyone thinks like you do.
HD-DVD paid for the ad and it ran it appears in less than half the country and accidentally was replaced with local feeds. The problem may be from being added so late that the local stations weren't given the new chart.

Hard to say but we may be reading about it after Super Tuesday.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudAdv View Post
You wanna talk "since inception numbers? OK

Even with a one-year head start, HD DVD software has been outsold by Blu-Ray software 2:1 "since inception".

Even with a one-year head start, HD DVD has been out-released by Blu-Ray 459:381 "since inception" if you count the 32 Paramount titles that are no longer in production, but will eventually be re-released.

And in Oct '07 it was 60/40 Blu, but now, just 3 months later it's 64/36. That's an 8-point swing, not 4 (28% gap vs 20% for the mathematically challenged) in the "since inception" numbers. 8% in 3 months is HUGE. And if things keep going at more than an 80/20 split, the gap will grow a little faster.
3 months is a 1 year head start? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it was also only 20 titles or so correct?

What I was refering to was the 64/36 split at the end of the year. The 85:15s aren't changing that ratio. Which means sales are extremely low and pathetic in January.
Old 02-04-2008   #232

I only watched 1/2 of the game but I saw the ad....
Old 02-04-2008   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I only watched 1/2 of the game but I saw the ad....
I hope you watched the good half!

I still feel ... angry... that you had to spend your Superbowl Sunday dispelling a stupid rumor.

I hope you got to enjoy the upset!
Old 02-05-2008   #234

The problem with both formats is exactly what was stated! The Plain old 480P DVD! Most people, even those buying the expensive HDTVs, DO NOT spend more than a few hundred dollars for the rest of their equipment combined! The norm by far is around $500 for a receiver, surround speaker set and DVD player! I've heard countless people say that DVD is good enough! Yeah, they love HD content from Dish, Direct, and Cable, but there's enough pay per view HD movies and other HD broadcasts to satisfy them on all three. Then you get to the comments like, HD DVD and BluRay isn't that much better than regular DVD! And to some extent I have to agree. I've got an HD DVD player and so far only about half of the titles I've watched are noticeably better than standard DVDs. Sony and Toshiba both should have learned from the SACD and DVD Audio war that the multitudes are NOT audiophiles or videophiles! Sure they like it as good as they can get it, but they're not willing to pay for it like early adopters and fanatics are! I've set-up countless home theaters for friends and advised on what equipment to buy. Rarely can I convince them of the need for a quality receiver and speakers! I hear; I was over at my friends house and his surround system sounded fantastic, and he only paid $300 for all of it! These people are not going to pay $400 - $700 for a BluRay player that plays discs that cost $30 - $35 each! If anybody wants to win they're going to have to get the players under $100 - $150, (Toshiba is almost right there), and the BluRay or HD DVD discs to the same price as regular DVDs. THEN you'll see something happen!
mixter_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom