Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 02-03-2008   #223

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Moose it would appear the advert didn't play and was bypassed for "local," commercials during halftime in Oklahoma, Texas, and some other areas. It was an error of some sort. I was shocked and thought that the advert must have been "American Gangster," myself but no FOX in about 20% of the nation screwed up.

I'm sure FOX will be forking out some dough over the screw up too.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Moose it would appear the advert didn't play and was bypassed for "local," commercials during halftime in Oklahoma, Texas, and some other areas. It was an error of some sort. I was shocked and thought that the advert must have been "American Gangster," myself but no FOX in about 20% of the nation screwed up.

I'm sure FOX will be forking out some dough over the screw up too.
I think it was a screwup. Was it intentional? Who knows, but the ad is not listed at that myspace link reported during the SB also, and myspace is owned by News Corp, which also owns Fox stations and 20th Century Fox studios also.

It seems like a lot of coincidences to me, but who knows what really happened. I do know that I SAW the ad and it was NOT the American Gangster ad. I actually didn't see the American Gangster ad. It must have been when I left the room for something. I DID see the other ad though. Many other people have reported they saw no such ad so it appears something happened, but it is a funny coincidence that the SB station airing it also happens to be in the opposite camp in the format war, and the myspace listing of the ad wasn't there either.

It would be real stupid for Fox to do something like this as many companies pay much more to make a special ad for the Super Bowl than the cost of airing the ad then, so it could really hurt the network in the future if the screwup was related to the format war.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #225

The ad definitely ran here in metro NY, looks as if some local Fox affiliates screwed up and went to local spots rather than run the national feed, my guess is that's gonna be an expensive mistake for someone as it's pretty hard to give an advertiser an alternative placement when you've just screwed them out of being seen during the biggest event of the year!

Last edited by MoosePond; 02-04-2008 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: correct typo
MoosePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Software sales are so incredibly low right now on both sides it's quite comical. To me the most interesting statistic is that "since inception," ratio hasn't changed. That means that the software just isn't selling right now at all on either side. HD-DVD is dead in software sales right now though.
You wanna talk "since inception numbers? OK

Even with a one-year head start, HD DVD software has been outsold by Blu-Ray software 2:1 "since inception".

Even with a one-year head start, HD DVD has been out-released by Blu-Ray 459:381 "since inception" if you count the 32 Paramount titles that are no longer in production, but will eventually be re-released.

And in Oct '07 it was 60/40 Blu, but now, just 3 months later it's 64/36. That's an 8-point swing, not 4 (28% gap vs 20% for the mathematically challenged) in the "since inception" numbers. 8% in 3 months is HUGE. And if things keep going at more than an 80/20 split, the gap will grow a little faster.
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Here it is, the superbowl add that didn't happen. It played during halftime. Very appropriate for the superbowl and includes the new pricing. http://www.spike.com/video/2938290/c...site/superbowl

Moose, give it a rest! You are starting to become the most obnoxious member in the forums.
There was no national Super Bowl ad for HD-DVD, people on other sites from all over the country are saying they didn't see it either.
They ran that ad in a few local markets & people are saying most of those ads were in SD!
That's a long way from a massive ad campaign starting on the Super Bowl!

If this had been accidentally or intentionally left out of the national ads by Fox there would be news of it all over the web.

All I'm doing is posting what I saw or things that are my opinions, the only reason that is obnoxious to you is because it's the truth & it goes against what you want to happen.
The HD-DVD guys were spinning that this was going to be the start of a big comeback or something, all I did was point out that it did not happen.
if the truth hurts maybe you should post somewhere where everyone thinks like you do.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #228

I watched, and recorded it, in the West Palm Beach, Florida area and did not see an HD-DVD ad either.

I loved the "talking stain" commercial though, and the baby e-trade "spit-up" bit was a good laugh as well.
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom