Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-31-2008   #187

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Well so much for the hddvd clearance sale at CC.

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5485
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #188

It's over. Blu-Ray has won the high-def disc war. If you have a bunch of HD-DVD movies, buy a cheap player or two as a backup while you still can.

This is what Blu-Ray is releasing next week (at Amazon.com)
1. Crimson Tide ~ Gene Hackman, and Denzel Washington

2. Me, Myself & Irene ~ Jim Carrey, Chris Cooper, Tony Cox, and Daniel Greene

3. Celine Dion: Live in Las Vegas - A New Day

4. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford ~ Brad Pitt, Mary-Louise Parker, and Dustin Bollinger

5. The Brave One ~ Jodie Foster, Terrence Howard

6. Wall Street ~ Frank Adonis, Thomas Anderson, James Bulleit, and John Capodice

7. Over America

8. Over California

9. Across the Universe ~ Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson (VI), and Dana Fuchs

10. Suburban Girl ~ Alec Baldwin, Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Naughton, and Peter Scolari

11. The Jane Austen Book Club ~ Maria Bello, Emily Blunt, Kathy Baker, and Amy Brenneman

12. Breaker Morant ~ Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson, John Waters (III), and Bryan Brown

This is what HD-DVD is releasing next week (at Amazon.com):
1. Elizabeth - The Golden Age (Combo HD and Standard DVD) ~ Cate Blanchett, Clive Owen

Yes, 12 to 1

And it's not just one week, the next week looks like this:
Blu-Ray:
1. Gone Baby Gone ~ Casey Affleck, Michelle Monaghan, Morgan Freeman, and Ed Harris

2. Becoming Jane ~ Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy, Julie Walters, and James Cromwell

3. We Own the Night ~ Joaquin Phoenix, Eva Mendes, Mark Wahlberg, and Robert Duvall

4. No Reservations ~ Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart, Abigail Breslin, and Patricia Clarkson

5. Girls Gone Wild: Baby Bash Live and Uncensored [Blu-ray]

6. The Amateurs ~ Jeff Bridges, Tim Blake Nelson, Joe Pantoliano, and William Fichtner

HD-DVD's only two "real" movies next week are also on Blu at the same time:
1. Vivaldi - The Four Seasons / Concertos for Double Orchestra - Acoustic Reality Experience

2. Mountain Winds - Music Experience in 3-Dimensional Sound Reality [HD DVD]

3. Girls Gone Wild: Baby Bash Live & Uncensored [HD DVD]

4. The Amateurs ~ Jeff Bridges, Tim Blake Nelson, Joe Pantoliano, and William Fichtner

The week after that (3/19) it's 6 to 3 with Michael Clayton and Run Lola Run leading Blu-Ray's fight against the lone star in HD-DVD's release schedule, American Gangster.

The week after that (3/26) it's 5-to-7 in favor of HD-DVD, but two of the big releases for them ("The Assassination of Jesse James ..." and "The Brave One") will have been on the shelf in Blu and regular DVD versions for 3 solid weeks! And I seriously doubt Beowulf can help the red camp stand up to even a soft week for the Blu guys.

Last edited by AudAdv; 02-01-2008 at 08:05 AM..
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #189

^^ Great, itís over. Thanks for alerting us and putting this lengthy list together.

Speaking of something being over, the 5 free Blu-ray discs by mail promotion ended yesterday. There has been no word on an extension, does anyone know if they are planning something new? Kind of sad isnít it? The BDA eliminates the competition (in their minds), player prices go back up and consumer incentives like 5 free movies end.

Last edited by 1more4HDDVD; 02-01-2008 at 09:30 AM..
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #190
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
^^ Great, itís over. Thanks for alerting us and putting this lengthy list together.

Speaking of something being over, the 5 free Blu-ray discs by mail promotion ended yesterday. There has been no word on an extension, does anyone know if they are planning something new? Kind of sad isnít it? The BDA eliminates the competition (in their minds), player prices go back up and consumer incentives like 5 free movies end.
I never mailed my in from when I purchased my PS3. The list of movies on that list don't even warrant taking up space in my collection. They are flat out awful with the exception of the "The Prestige".

On the other hand I used both rebates on my HD DVD players
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #191

Until Paramount and Universal go blu it is far from over.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Until Paramount and Universal go blu it is far from over.
I don't know, this weeks Nielson numbers are 82%-18% in favor of Blu-Ray, and that's 2 weeks after the fire sale pricing on HD-DVD players, with numbers like that since CES how much longer can Paramount & Universal hold out?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom